Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What happened to the “misting tents” in use at Salt Lake City?

  1. #1
    Low speed, high drag
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mankato, MN
    Posts
    227

    What happened to the “misting tents” in use at Salt Lake City?

    Elephant in the room (besides me!)- it’s summer, and it’s hot…

    A few years ago at Salt Lake City, the MOA (I think) had some E-Z Up type canopies, with misting nozzles.

    They were a “lifesaver” in SLC. I also think they would’ve been great at Des Moines, Great Falls, Springfield, etc. You get the idea. 😆

    Were those canopies actually owned by the MOA?
    Are there any plans to use them again, in the future?
    “Enquiring minds want to know.” 😎

    Love “The National,” and make it whenever it’s feasible! I’ve volunteered numerous years, and other years I’ve just been a “guest.” Each one is a little different, and each one has been a ball.

    It’s like a giant family reunion, except it’s FUN! 😇

  2. #2
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    748
    That is a great idea, I had forgotten all about those, they were a life saver in SLC.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  3. #3
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,078
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleHowie View Post
    Elephant in the room (besides me!)- it’s summer, and it’s hot…

    A few years ago at Salt Lake City, the MOA (I think) had some E-Z Up type canopies, with misting nozzles.

    They were a “lifesaver” in SLC. I also think they would’ve been great at Des Moines, Great Falls, Springfield, etc. You get the idea. 😆

    Were those canopies actually owned by the MOA?
    Are there any plans to use them again, in the future?
    “Enquiring minds want to know.” 😎

    Love “The National,” and make it whenever it’s feasible! I’ve volunteered numerous years, and other years I’ve just been a “guest.” Each one is a little different, and each one has been a ball.

    It’s like a giant family reunion, except it’s FUN! 😇


    All that misting equipment is still in the position of the MOA, and can be deployed again in the future.
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  4. #4
    Registered User nyfty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    191

    Climate and misting tents

    The dew point at the location dictates the effectiveness of the misting tents. At SLC the dew point was low so the mist evaporates quickly cooling the air. The effectiveness of the tents in Des Moines and Springfield would been almost nill, because of the high dew points. There might have been some positive benefits in Great Falls. Now what is the average dew point in Doswell VA, in mid June? That will be an indicator of the effectiveness of the cooling tents. I hope one our members is a meteorologist or climatologist the can provide the science.
    Jim Nyffeler (Nyfty)
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936
    Knights of the Roundel #333

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfty View Post
    The dew point at the location dictates the effectiveness of the misting tents. At SLC the dew point was low so the mist evaporates quickly cooling the air. The effectiveness of the tents in Des Moines and Springfield would been almost nill, because of the high dew points. There might have been some positive benefits in Great Falls. Now what is the average dew point in Doswell VA, in mid June? That will be an indicator of the effectiveness of the cooling tents. I hope one our members is a meteorologist or climatologist the can provide the science.
    Some yard sprinklers would work just fine...

  6. #6
    Registered User YeehaStephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts
    194
    Have the next rally in the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area and we can "mist" ourselves in the Gulf to our hearts content!

    SS
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1250RT
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

  7. #7
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Some yard sprinklers would work just fine...
    Now there's an idea, add a slip and slide and we'd have quite a time.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  8. #8
    Registered User TEDZEMLICKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    158
    How would we ride home with all the broken bones?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the state of Misery for now.
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    Have the next rally in the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area and we can "mist" ourselves in the Gulf to our hearts content!

    SS
    Hopefully it is still there next year.

    Good thoughts to all in that area.

    Rod

  10. #10
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    12,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Some yard sprinklers would work just fine...
    Misters work way better, but not in high humidity. Out here where it’s dry, you can cool a whole patio with them really quickly.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  11. #11
    Booger Man boogerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    defiance, mo
    Posts
    168
    Don’t need or want mist tent here in the Midwest in the summer time. You can just stand there and mist all over yourself

Similar Threads

  1. Highway construction east of Salt Lake City
    By 20774 in forum Regional West
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 03:06 AM
  2. Salt Lake City, Utah - Local BMW Club?
    By NRutherfurd in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 02:27 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 04:22 AM
  4. Moving to Salt Lake City
    By jogitu in forum Regional West
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
  5. MAYDAY.... MAYDAY.... broke down in Salt Lake City
    By FatherDan in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 06:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •