• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Everything I learned riding the Dalton (Haul Road) up to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay

Yes, my plan was originally to stay at the University, except they no longer allow anyone who isn't affiliated with the University to stay in the dorms short-term. Kind of a bummer...

That is sad to hear. I started the policy of letting riders stay in the dorms in the summer in 2008 (I think). Made some money for the university and I do not recall having any issues with the riders who stayed on campus. There were some on campus who thought it was inappropriate and tried to stop the housing of riders, but we successfully fended them off. I guess they finally got their way.

That is sad to hear. I started the policy of letting riders stay in the dorms in the summer in 2008 (I think). Made some money for the university and I do not recall having any issues with the riders who stayed on campus. There were some on campus who thought it was inappropriate and tried to stop the housing of riders, but we successfully fended them off. I guess they finally got their way.

I’m guessing Covid had some impact in the decision, and once the practice was suspended for that it’s not likely to be reopened.

When I left Dawson City headed for Fairbanks I had my wife scouting motels from home, and Fairbanks looked kinda bleak for housing until I asked her to call the university. Every aspect of the stay at the U was great, from booking to departure.

Best,
DeVern

Great write up! :thumb
I did my Key West to Prudhoe in 2007 and nothing was paved back then, certainly not the last 50 miles into Prudhoe...
The photo of Bear Glacier is shocking as when I saw it, the ice was all the way to the water and up on the mountains on both sides covering the rocks.....
Your bike will never get clean again btw. The stains from the muck will always be present and the patina is a cool conversation piece IMHO...:laugh

There are sections of the Dalton that were paved in the early 2000’s. The last time I was on the haul road in 2011 the were in very bad shape and worse to ride on than the gravel. I suspect they were covered with dirt/gravel at some point.

I knew the man who worked for AKDOT and was responsible for the maintenance of the Dalton. He told me the purposely kept the first 20 miles of the southern end of the Dalton in a rough and bumpy state. The hope was that it would deter tourists.

I knew the man who worked for AKDOT and was responsible for the maintenance of the Dalton. He told me the purposely kept the first 20 miles of the southern end of the Dalton in a rough and bumpy state. The hope was that it would deter tourists.

I could see that! :brad

Great write up! :thumb
I did my Key West to Prudhoe in 2007 and nothing was paved back then, certainly not the last 50 miles into Prudhoe...
The photo of Bear Glacier is shocking as when I saw it, the ice was all the way to the water and up on the mountains on both sides covering the rocks.....
Your bike will never get clean again btw. The stains from the muck will always be present and the patina is a cool conversation piece IMHO...:laugh

Yes, I was surprised on how much of it was paved, even if it was in poor shape. I had mentally prepared for the worse. I just couldn't believe the smooth road towards the end - I kept thinking it was going to end around the next corner :)

Yes, I was surprised on how much of it was paved, even if it was in poor shape. I had mentally prepared for the worse. I just couldn't believe the smooth road towards the end - I kept thinking it was going to end around the next corner :)

I now vaguely remember a few teaser patches of pavement but it wasn't anything to write home about. It's been 15 years.... :gerg

As for a place to stay - When I stopped in for their T-shirt, the Fairbanks Harley shop suggested the Frog Pond Bed & Breakfast; I've stayed there twice. Very nice people, hot shower, great breakfast, and they even provided a hose, bucket, and rags to take off the top layers of mud and salt. Just a couple miles out of town, north.

Mail call! :)

Screen-Shot-2022-07-21-at-5-29-09-PM.png

Pennsylvania to Coldfoot

I made the trip from Ford City, Pennsylvania to Coldfoot Alaska in June & July of 2014. I enjoyed reading about your trip. It sounds like you had a lot of the problems as I did. I was riding with another fellow and we had a lot of rain. Unfortunately we stopped at Coldfoot and didn’t get up to Prudhoe Bay, still regret not making the last 250 mile push. Our trip was 11,141 miles and it took us 35 days. We averaged about 300 to 400 miles per day.
Tenequip

Missed this thread apparently.

Nice AAR and pics/info. Did the dalton to the arctic circle in 2018 on a 12GS. We stayed in the dorms, very nice accommodations for very little money.
Sorry to hear that's no longer an option.

Nice cert sir

Back