Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can the End-Of-Days be seen on the horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I wonder how road service works when a driver is out of battery? I know how it works when a driver is out of gas ⛽️
    OM
    I am sure that is an evolving issue. Good question.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I wonder how road service works when a driver is out of battery? I know how it works when a driver is out of gas ⛽️
    OM
    That would be the Palladium Membership offering, a monetary step up from Platinum Membership. You wait a day or two in a fleabag motel, then a teenage stoner in a white van shows up with a replacement battery for you.

I am surprised

The dead battery problem is one of the biggest reasons why I am not thrilled to maybe have to switch to an electric vehicle.

If the companies making said vehicles were on the same page and working toward the same goal, a universal battery might be the solution. One or two battery packs easily switched out and in at a service station with extra packs on charge would be a lot faster than waiting for a full charge.

Oh I know, the drawbacks, it will never happen. BMW would never build a battery pack to fit a Toyota and so on and so forth. Towns, villages, and cities probably would not issue permits to build such service stations citing storage of batteries as a problem or some nonsense.

It is going to be VERY interesting to see how the fine electrical production and distribution grids work when more and more demand is made on them. I have a gas generator now because of the lack of reliability. There is nothing worse than having no power or heat in the middle of a Rochester NY winter. I pray I will be lucky and gone before the big problems hit, or I pray someone wakes up and starts solving the problems before they happen. LOL, I don't expect any of my elected officials to do the right thing except what is good for them or their family and friends. St.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If anyone has a hydrogen car, we have a filliní station for that. Never seen a hydrogen powered car but understand itís explosive 🧨 possibilities.
    At our ďflat-landĒ mall, there is 6-bay Tesla hook up. I have seen a few use it.

Iím not really into unproven, trendy systems that over complicate things. Iíve been wrestling with a VFD on a chiller today that lost its programming on speed when power had to be cut due to a 13.8KVA line down drilling a hole in the asphalt.
    An on/off switch is a lot less troublesome.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    The dead battery problem is one of the biggest reasons why I am not thrilled to maybe have to switch to an electric vehicle.

If the companies making said vehicles were on the same page and working toward the same goal, a universal battery might be the solution. One or two battery packs easily switched out and in at a service station with extra packs on charge would be a lot faster than waiting for a full charge.

Oh I know, the drawbacks, it will never happen. BMW would never build a battery pack to fit a Toyota and so on and so forth. Towns, villages, and cities probably would not issue permits to build such service stations citing storage of batteries as a problem or some nonsense.

It is going to be VERY interesting to see how the fine electrical production and distribution grids work when more and more demand is made on them. I have a gas generator now because of the lack of reliability. There is nothing worse than having no power or heat in the middle of a Rochester NY winter. I pray I will be lucky and gone before the big problems hit, or I pray someone wakes up and starts solving the problems before they happen. LOL, I don't expect any of my elected officials to do the right thing except what is good for them or their family and friends. St.
    I'd be happy if there was a standard plug for all vehicles, analogous to the hole in the fuel tank for the pump - one size fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by ebell View Post
    I'd be happy if there was a standard plug for all vehicles, analogous to the hole in the fuel tank for the pump - one size fits all.
    Unfortunately, this technology is being brought to us by the sorts who have designed smart phones and other electronics with the myriad of cable types to connect and power them. We'll be lucky if we can guess which way the plug has to be oriented.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

OM
    They'll just charge more.....yuk yuk!

re Palladium membership - "Hey duuude, here's yer battery, can I get a bit of that lithium?"

We're starting to get some hydrogen vehicles around here, some buses and small commercial vehicles, but I've only spotted one H2 car so far, and it was little. There's one H2 filling station that I know of, just a little north of the Torrance Refinery.

I've read that the FTC is starting to look at mandating that the e-cars' recharge connection be of one type... good luck with that.

When your battery runs out - "Hey, I'm saving gas, but you ought to see my Wheaties bill!"

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am amazed. Now I wonder what the US sales are now.
    2020 USA sales was roughly 12,000 motorcycles and 2021 was roughly 16,000. I thought it was higher. I remember looking it up around 2005 and it was something like 4,000 motorcycles. I was surprised it was so low then.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...nt?language=en
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I don't see the need for all-electric vehicles when plug-in hybrids are the sweet spot for me. My running average on my 2017 Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is 97.3 mpg over more than five years and 55K miles. I am skeptical that all vehicles will be full-time EV. I just don't see that happening.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by stooie View Post
    I read on a different web site that many owner forums were having a hard time and were losing out to Facebook groups. Sad to see.
    https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...g-up-and-dying
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '15 R 1200 GS | '76 R 90/6 | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers