• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1978 R80/7 daily driver

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
I've got 3 bikes.
For various reasons my 1978 R80/7 has been my daily driver for the last 3 weeks.
Its got a ancient RDL saddle and full Luftmeister fairing.
Comfy.
New shocks.
Avon Road Rider tires.
Points.
Ted Porter valve job.
Non skid brakes.
Runs great!
Love that thing.
When I park it in town people often come up to check it out.
Not for sale, sorry.
Best Regards
Nick

Two

LOL, I have a 84 R80RT and a 78 R100RS, A lot of the time when I am out riding and stop for lunch or a snack, someone will comment on how nice they look and ask about them. The Harley guys are impressed I have 230K miles on the RT and 50K on the RS (at least that is what is indicated, sometimes I think there is a 1 in front on the RS due to sorting I have done since buying it.)

I wrote in another thread, they are the near perfect bikes and I am thankful I can get parts to keep them running for as long as I have and plan to. Also, I am thankful for little guys who have designed improvements for them to bring them nearer to perfection. LOL, probably the day they achieve perfection, I will kick off. St.

Tell us more about "non skid brakes."

I have often said that the original single-front disk brakes were BMW's original anti-lock brakes. Even with marginal tires by today's standards the front wheel was difficult to lock up on even poor pavement.

Before

Before I converted my 78 RS over from the twin ATE front brakes to Brembos, I had never in any of the riding both wet or dry ever locked up the front brake. To be honest, it took an effort to even lock up the rear brake in the MSF courses I took years ago.

I have not tried to lock up or skid the bike now with the Brembos installed but the difference in braking is noticeable.

On my R80RT with stock Brembos, I have never locked the front wheel up either. Funny enough on the RT at the MSF course, it was far easier to lock the rear drum brake up on the RT than my Disc Brake RS.

LOL, both the ATE and Brembo systems are far better than drum front brakes.

As to braking power in bikes newer than 85, I have no experience, I guess maybe you all need the antilock systems on them. I may never know. St.

Back