• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

authority training vs street survival

Does anyone know which course is the best one to take at the rider academy. The authority or street survival. I took the 4 hr authority training at the rally and got a lot out of it.

I've been wrestling with that question, too. I was at the BMW Performance Center last week with my wife to take delivery of her nw car (awesome experience) and spoke to one of the Rider Academy instructors. Bottom line is that all the courses are good, it's a matter of matching your specific needs with what the different courses offer. I'm leaning toward the 2 day street survival course but will call before I book to ensure it's the best one for me. I'm surprised BMW doesn't go into more detail on the content of their courses. BTW, I did notice that there are no openings in the 2 dy street survival course until January.

I would say that if you can find bmw oriented class where they have RT's and/or GS bikes with outriggers so you can get serious bike handling training and practice for sharp slow speed turns and uturns etc the go for that one first. Gymkahna like training is really confidence building and the skills are useful in an urban environment. Multiple classes is what I would do if I were just starting out if it can be afforded.

Since you've already had some authority training, street survival would probably be the better choice. I suspect there is a good deal of subject matter overlap anyway, and "survival" should introduce some new topics.

I took the authority class at the rally in Montana and that lead me to take the full two day course last fall and had a blast a learned a TON. You're on their GSs and will ride them plenty hard and dump them without fear. You're not liable for ANY damage to the bike so no fear at all. I enjoyed that so much I went back and took the off-road school as well a couple months later. Id suggest either the off-road or authority depending on where you ride more, there are some overlaps in skills between the two classes.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I will probably talk to them to see what will work best for me. Maybe I can take one now and the other one in a year or so.

Back