Thread: 2020 GSA hard start problems

2020 GSA hard start problems

Anybody having problem go for a ride stop for gas bike would not start .let bike sit for about 45 min starts no problem .happen at about 5000 miles .dealer could not find anything wrong . now at 24000 miles happened at traffic stop for construction had to get pushed to the side of the road , no cell service read pain was not happy . same thing wait for as long the chp to come bike starts right up .any ideas ?

You might get more/better responses if you can clarify “doesn’t start”. Does the bike crank but not fire? No cranking at all until you have waited for things to cool down?
    Any warning indicators showing up on the dash?
    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

2020 gsa

Quote Originally Posted by RSAL2381 View Post
    Anybody having problem go for a ride stop for gas bike would not start .let bike sit for about 45 min starts no problem .happen at about 5000 miles .dealer could not find anything wrong . now at 24000 miles happened at traffic stop for construction had to get pushed to the side of the road , no cell service read pain was not happy . same thing wait for as long the chp to come bike starts right up .any ideas ?
    Had issues when I first got the bike. Removed/cleaned/reseated all the battery bolts. made sure battery was topped off. Havent had any issues since. I know people had bad factory batteries, low cold cranking amps. if you check the forums there are other issues found.

Ok well bike will crank over Two to three times then nothing .dashboard is on no codes , just picked up from the dealership of itís perfect canít find anything.Battery tested good no codes etc .probably waiting for the warranty to expire sad to say not much trust in a bike I have 28,000 grand invested in .

Ok well bike will crank over Two to three times then nothing .dashboard is on no codes , just picked up from the dealership of itís perfect canít find anything.Battery tested good no codes etc .probably waiting for the warranty to expire sad to say not much trust in a bike I have 28,000 grand invested in .
    Key off battery voltage = ??
    Key on battery voltage = ??
    Cranking battery voltage = ??
    When it won't crank battery voltage = ??
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    +1 What Paul said.
    Also make sure that the voltage regulator connector is positively clicked into place. It is on the left side underneath the seat and on some bikes it has caused some issues. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

Back in the shop

Up date on a no start issue. It happened again on the way to Lake Tahoe stopped for gas no start had a multi meter with me so checked the battery got 12.5 volts bike did not start . Used a jumper box bike did not start . Wanted a hour bike did not start one crank and then nothing called bmw roadside service two hours later bike did not start . Thinking great now they can find the problem gets towed to the shop three days later when they go to repair it the bike starts right up . Now they say itís a battery issue but canít explained why I canít jump start the bike . As of today 8/31/ 22 have not gotten it back yet itís been over a week.
    Have a clam with bmw corporate. Will see what happens
    Al

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Up date on a no start issue. It happened again on the way to Lake Tahoe stopped for gas no start had a multi meter with me so checked the battery got 12.5 volts bike did not start . Used a jumper box bike did not start . Wanted a hour bike did not start one crank and then nothing called bmw roadside service two hours later bike did not start . Thinking great now they can find the problem gets towed to the shop three days later when they go to repair it the bike starts right up . Now they say itís a battery issue but canít explained why I canít jump start the bike . As of today 8/31/ 22 have not gotten it back yet itís been over a week.
    Have a clam with bmw corporate. Will see what happens
    Al
    Is this the original battery?

Batteries can show a voltage across the terminals that doesnít allow a bike to start. If the battery is pulled down by the starter and random electrical load past around 9.2volts, there will be a no start condition.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I got a new battery from beemerboneyard when the OEM took a dump even though it actually was still covered. .
    Most OEM batteries are marginal and designed for light weight and usually croak just after the warranty has expired. Replacing one for another made no sense to me, and Iíd rather not get stuck in BFEÖ YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

No start solved Hopefully

Well after two weeks in the shop they think the problem was a bad starter relay .
    Of course this is after a new battery and starter switch . Seams there was a voltage drop at the relay .so here is hoping thatís it I will be heading on a ride out to the Coast this week with the wife on board. So will be making lots of stops so good places to test it .lt was all covered under warranty and they did put a upgraded battery in at no charge to me .I am pretty sure having bmw corporate involvement helped 😁😁

Well after two weeks in the shop they think the problem was a bad starter relay .
    Of course this is after a new battery and starter switch . Seams there was a voltage drop at the relay .so here is hoping thatís it I will be heading on a ride out to the Coast this week with the wife on board. So will be making lots of stops so good places to test it .lt was all covered under warranty and they did put a upgraded battery in at no charge to me .I am pretty sure having bmw corporate involvement helped 😁😁
    I'm not an electrician, but I don't understand how a bad starter relay would cause a good battery, and starter switch to go bad. Any electricians out there? However, I do have some experience with how a bad voltage regulator will leave you stranded on the side of I-95 during BikeWeek.

E.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    I'm not an electrician, but I don't understand how a bad starter relay would cause a good battery, and starter switch to go bad.
    I'm assuming a new battery and starter switch were installed before the starter relay was replaced.