• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 GSA hard start problems

RSAL2381

Anybody having problem go for a ride stop for gas bike would not start .let bike sit for about 45 min starts no problem .happen at about 5000 miles .dealer could not find anything wrong . now at 24000 miles happened at traffic stop for construction had to get pushed to the side of the road , no cell service read pain was not happy . same thing wait for as long the chp to come bike starts right up .any ideas ?

You might get more/better responses if you can clarify “doesn’t start”. Does the bike crank but not fire? No cranking at all until you have waited for things to cool down?
Any warning indicators showing up on the dash?
Best,
DeVern

2020 gsa

Anybody having problem go for a ride stop for gas bike would not start .let bike sit for about 45 min starts no problem .happen at about 5000 miles .dealer could not find anything wrong . now at 24000 miles happened at traffic stop for construction had to get pushed to the side of the road , no cell service read pain was not happy . same thing wait for as long the chp to come bike starts right up .any ideas ?

Had issues when I first got the bike. Removed/cleaned/reseated all the battery bolts. made sure battery was topped off. Havent had any issues since. I know people had bad factory batteries, low cold cranking amps. if you check the forums there are other issues found.

Ok well bike will crank over Two to three times then nothing .dashboard is on no codes , just picked up from the dealership of it’s perfect can’t find anything.Battery tested good no codes etc .probably waiting for the warranty to expire sad to say not much trust in a bike I have 28,000 grand invested in .

Ok well bike will crank over Two to three times then nothing .dashboard is on no codes , just picked up from the dealership of it’s perfect can’t find anything.Battery tested good no codes etc .probably waiting for the warranty to expire sad to say not much trust in a bike I have 28,000 grand invested in .

Key off battery voltage = ??
Key on battery voltage = ??
Cranking battery voltage = ??
When it won't crank battery voltage = ??

+1 What Paul said.
Also make sure that the voltage regulator connector is positively clicked into place. It is on the left side underneath the seat and on some bikes it has caused some issues. YMMV

Back in the shop

Up date on a no start issue. It happened again on the way to Lake Tahoe stopped for gas no start had a multi meter with me so checked the battery got 12.5 volts bike did not start . Used a jumper box bike did not start . Wanted a hour bike did not start one crank and then nothing called bmw roadside service two hours later bike did not start . Thinking great now they can find the problem gets towed to the shop three days later when they go to repair it the bike starts right up . Now they say it’s a battery issue but can’t explained why I can’t jump start the bike . As of today 8/31/ 22 have not gotten it back yet it’s been over a week.
Have a clam with bmw corporate. Will see what happens
Al

Up date on a no start issue. It happened again on the way to Lake Tahoe stopped for gas no start had a multi meter with me so checked the battery got 12.5 volts bike did not start . Used a jumper box bike did not start . Wanted a hour bike did not start one crank and then nothing called bmw roadside service two hours later bike did not start . Thinking great now they can find the problem gets towed to the shop three days later when they go to repair it the bike starts right up . Now they say it’s a battery issue but can’t explained why I can’t jump start the bike . As of today 8/31/ 22 have not gotten it back yet it’s been over a week.
Have a clam with bmw corporate. Will see what happens
Al

Is this the original battery?

Batteries can show a voltage across the terminals that doesn’t allow a bike to start. If the battery is pulled down by the starter and random electrical load past around 9.2volts, there will be a no start condition.
OM

I got a new battery from beemerboneyard when the OEM took a dump even though it actually was still covered. :deal.
Most OEM batteries are marginal and designed for light weight and usually croak just after the warranty has expired. Replacing one for another made no sense to me, and I’d rather not get stuck in BFE…:D YMMV

No start solved Hopefully

Well after two weeks in the shop they think the problem was a bad starter relay .
Of course this is after a new battery and starter switch . Seams there was a voltage drop at the relay .so here is hoping that’s it I will be heading on a ride out to the Coast this week with the wife on board. So will be making lots of stops so good places to test it .lt was all covered under warranty and they did put a upgraded battery in at no charge to me .I am pretty sure having bmw corporate involvement helped 😁😁

Well after two weeks in the shop they think the problem was a bad starter relay .
Of course this is after a new battery and starter switch . Seams there was a voltage drop at the relay .so here is hoping that’s it I will be heading on a ride out to the Coast this week with the wife on board. So will be making lots of stops so good places to test it .lt was all covered under warranty and they did put a upgraded battery in at no charge to me .I am pretty sure having bmw corporate involvement helped 😁😁

I'm not an electrician, but I don't understand how a bad starter relay would cause a good battery, and starter switch to go bad. Any electricians out there? However, I do have some experience with how a bad voltage regulator will leave you stranded on the side of I-95 during BikeWeek. :banghead

E.

I'm not an electrician, but I don't understand how a bad starter relay would cause a good battery, and starter switch to go bad.

I'm assuming a new battery and starter switch were installed before the starter relay was replaced.

Update to no start problems

Well sorry it took so long to update but been busy riding no problems since the relay was replaced. Have put on about 10 thousand miles since repair .seems the relay voltage would drop when it got hot so they put in a new one and got good reading no problems since . Am leaving for a bucket list trip to Alaska in too weeks so if I get eaten buy a bear you know why LOL .hope this helps somebody out there with this problem .

Well sorry it took so long to update but been busy riding no problems since the relay was replaced. Have put on about 10 thousand miles since repair .seems the relay voltage would drop when it got hot so they put in a new one and got good reading no problems since . Am leaving for a bucket list trip to Alaska in too weeks so if I get eaten buy a bear you know why LOL .hope this helps somebody out there with this problem .

Great :thumb

So nice when a member lets us know how things worked out.

Have a safe trip and enjoy Alaska.

OM

Back