• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth C3 Pro vs C5 and will there will be a C5 Pro?

droveto

It's time for a new helmet. I love my C3 Pro and have a Sena Unit installed which does the job.

It seems I'm not alone in being a C3 Pro fan who didn't think much of the C4 and the Pro.

So, is the C5 the way to go if you're due for a new helmet and really like your C3 Pro? I read that "hey google" and "hey siri" work on the new Sena that's used as part of the C5. That's a big bonus for me.
But, will Schuberth put out a Pro model in a few months with three external shell sizes meaning my medium head will have a smaller profile in the wind if I wait it out...

Thanks for any thoughts and insight. An $1100 purchase isn't to be taken lightly and I'm guessing I'm not the only MOA rider in this predicament...

I know the feeling

Thanks for any thoughts and insight. An $1100 purchase isn't to be taken lightly and I'm guessing I'm not the only MOA rider in this predicament...

I hear ya, I have the same Sena 50S C3 Pro combo and it's time for a new helmet. Im really stuck because I have huge melon (Solid size 8) meaning a XXXL might fit, and damn near no one make XXXL

I can pick up a "closeout" XXXL C3 Pro from a local dealer for $550, the dealer is dropping Schuburth due to some really crappy business practices by the company with their dealers.

I wish I could tap my 50S into the C5 system but rumor has it that's not going to be easy/possible. I really an bothered that the SC2 Comm system doesn't have a headphone jack. I use ear buds exclusively, the noise isolation from the buds let's me listen at waaay lower volumes than if I used the speakers. In my mind it makes no sense to try and drown out a loud noise with an even Louder noise - too hard on the ears.

I have a C5 (no comm system) on order and am eager to see if it will work for me.

Ski

I hear ya, I have the same Sena 50S C3 Pro combo and it's time for a new helmet. Im really stuck because I have huge melon (Solid size 8) meaning a XXXL might fit, and damn near no one make XXXL

I can pick up a "closeout" XXXL C3 Pro from a local dealer for $550, the dealer is dropping Schuburth due to some really crappy business practices by the company with their dealers.

I wish I could tap my 50S into the C5 system but rumor has it that's not going to be easy/possible. I really an bothered that the SC2 Comm system doesn't have a headphone jack. I use ear buds exclusively, the noise isolation from the buds let's me listen at waaay lower volumes than if I used the speakers. In my mind it makes no sense to try and drown out a loud noise with an even Louder noise - too hard on the ears.

I have a C5 (no comm system) on order and am eager to see if it will work for me.

Ski

I'll be interested to hear your review. I decided to ride my C3 Pro and wait for the likely C5 Pro. I'm a Medium so typically I'll get a smaller exterior shell by waiting for their Pro models.
I'm not completely surprised to hear that their dealer relationships are strained. I don't like how they rolled out the C4, and are likely doing the same with the C5 where they put out a premium price helmet, with just two exterior shell sizes (this saves a TON of money on R&D) and then they put out a better version of it some point down the road that is usually only $100 more. Hate to say it, but I feel like the buyers of the non-pro version end up just paying the costs of R&D and are the trial users for them to make a much better version of the original... At least, that's how I'm seeing their business model and I don't love it, but at least I recognize the pattern and can get some more miles out of my C3 pro.

The big lure of the C5 for me is that apparently "hey google" and "hey siri" work from talking inside the helmet which is a big plus for me, but I'll wait it out.

The big lure of the C5 for me is that apparently "hey google" and "hey siri" work from talking inside the helmet which is a big plus for me, but I'll wait it out.

According to Sena:

"The 50S uses the exact same technology as the SC2

Regards,

Sena Technologies, Inc."

Have you tried "Hey Whatsit" on your 50S?

Ski

Heading to Morton's tomorrow AM to be fitted for C5. I don't think they much in stock, but the Schuberth rep is there from like 10-2, so should be able to get the info needed to make a decision. I tried a C3- didn't fit very well.. C4? No. So we'll see about this one. The Neotec 2 was also a player for me until I saw that the built in is a damn 20S model. The same Sena I've had for like 8 or 9 years. (I currently have a Neotec "1" if you will. Intact- but beat to hell from my little crash last summer)

. I tried a C3- didn't fit very well.. C4? No. So we'll see about this one.

I have a C4 that fits good. Tried the C4 Pro and it did not fit as well plus it was difficult to get on and off.
Tried the C5 at the National and it fit good but I need a size smaller in the C5. Same thing for my wife, she also needs one size smaller in the C5.
About a week after the National we stopped at Engles in KC on the way home and asked the owner if they planned to carry the C5 because that's probably our next helmet.
They plan to carry it and he mentioned about 10 others after the National asked if they would carry it and most mentioned they would need a smaller size than their previous Schuberth.

That's good to know. Now I have worn XL helmets for several years and several brands. According to a website's sizing chart for the C5- I measure out at an XL here as well. But your statement proves that you never really know until you try one on. We will see tomorrow.

It's pretty unlikely that I will buy one from this dealer/event. Nothing against them at all- Morton's is great. It's much bigger than them.

A while back I pressed Schuberth to answer a simple question. Is the USA version of the C5 100% identical to the European version? Yes or No? We went back and forth a couple times. They had AMPLE opportunity to answer, but chose to insult my intelligence with a series of prepared PR lines with ZERO substance.

That tells me to assume that they most definitely compromised the top notch safety of this lid for the US because- why not? They don't have to try hard to pass DOT. DOT is literally a waste of...everything. I could send the DOT a ****ing sauce pan with why-ties attached to it and it would pass.
No reason for them to exert any more effort or expense than they have to- and- they charge a lot more for it here! Very likely I will be looking in the Old Country for mine- assuming it fits well.

Schuberth C5

You can get the helmet for about $275 less from Champion Helmets and Chromeburner, without the DOT sticker, but Schuberth US will not do warranty work if needed without the DOT sticker. I saw at some site that the DOT version is 100 grams heavier but did not mention the reason.

OK tried it out. Here's my observations

Current Helmet is a NeoTec "1" with a mounted SENA 20S EVO

The C5 definitely fit weird to me initially. But this is the result of having my face squished by the Neotec's (1) massive cheek pads for several years. So- when I grabbed the XL C5- The first thing that entered my head was- this is too big. But after trying an "L"- it was apparent that the XL is correct. It's just different from my norm. I wore it and walked around a few minutes. In that short time I came to like having a bit more face-space. It might even contribute to better venting. My Neo is miserably hot and those massive pads have to exasperate that a little bit. The Neotec does not vent well to begin with. Once strapped- I did the head shake test. Just slight movement- more or less the same as what I have now.

As I thought- this helmet is ECE OR DOT. It's made differently for the US market. Someone above mentioned a little extra weight for the DOT version. This is likely attributed to 2 extra pieces of plastic on the US version- designed and positioned specifically to absorb the test rig impact and get their little sticker. (per the Schuberth rep)

Most people ride to a motorcycle store- and would therefore have their gloves with them. I had to drive today. (Heavy downpours and such) So I stupidly did not think to bring my gloves to try out the normal helmet manipulations with. That said- the controls felt very good, and seemed pretty easy to interact with. The shield raises up MUCH easier than my neotecs. The Neo's detents are ridiculous- causing the shield to twist severely before it moves and it therefore difficult to position exactly the way you want it quickly and accurately. The sunvisor slider is easy to find and operate.

Superb fit and finish.

I did not have the Neotec with me- but the C5 just felt way lighter. The comms unit and battery will mitigate that difference a little bit, I'm sure.

The comms unit looks fantastic as well- flush. I could go into a rant about these helmet companies denying consumer choice and all that- but why bother at this point? All the better lid companies do it. At least this one is a modern premium unit- unlike the Neotec 2. But like the other built ins- no jog wheel on this one and I know that will be difficult for me to get used to. The jog wheel design is so glove friendly and familiar to me. Obviously one thing the jog wheel design is NOT- is slick and streamlined.

At first glance- and obviously without taking the helmet apart- it does not appear that you could install anything else to this lid- unless you use the sticky tape option. Not me, Thanks.

I'll be ordering one. I know that I highly prefer the eclipse blue, but I also know that color matched helmets can be a real bite in the ass if you happen to separate yourself from that matching bike for some reason. I'll make up my mind over my upcoming vacation.

According to Sena:

"The 50S uses the exact same technology as the SC2

Regards,

Sena Technologies, Inc."

Have you tried "Hey Whatsit" on your 50S?

Ski

I think my C3 Pro uses a 10U or some older unit. "hey whatever" definitely does not work.

Talked with a Schuberth rep at the Rally and he indicated all the pro features are included in the C5 and a pro model is not planned. C5 are available now from Revzilla. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c5-helmet Only two shell sizes are available.

I'm surprised they are seemingly switching to two outer shell sizes vs three. For me, the C3 Pro is the most effortless on my shoulder checks than any helmet I've ridden and with some past neck injuries getting the minimum drag at all wind angles is my most critical feature (aside from safety obviously.) Maybe I'll bump into someone someday with a medium that will let me go ride it in the wind to check it out. I might throw down on another C3 Pro since I like it so much...

Got my C5..

Just received the XXXL C5 and the comfort level is outstanding for me, no pressure point on the forehead.

Has anyone figured out how to remove the Sun Visor? I'd like to add a sun-blocking strip above eye level but can't figure out the new retention system.

Ski

The comms unit looks fantastic as well- flush. I could go into a rant about these helmet companies denying consumer choice and all that- but why bother at this point? All the better lid companies do it. At least this one is a modern premium unit- unlike the Neotec 2. But like the other built ins- no jog wheel on this one and I know that will be difficult for me to get used to. The jog wheel design is so glove friendly and familiar to me. Obviously one thing the jog wheel design is NOT- is slick and streamlined.

Thanks for th einfo. I have two questions on the comms unit I'm hoping someone can answer:

1) It appears as though the remote control for the side of the helmet uses a coin-cell battery and is not rechargeable. Is that correct? If so, itt seems a bit of a bother, waste of money, and disposal headache to always be buying coin cell batteries and I'm not aware of any way to recharge a coin-cell.
2) Does the system have a headphone jack? That's all I use with my C3 Pro / Sena 50S combo.

Thanks,
Ski

Thanks for th einfo. I have two questions on the comms unit I'm hoping someone can answer:

1) It appears as though the remote control for the side of the helmet uses a coin-cell battery and is not rechargeable. Is that correct? If so, itt seems a bit of a bother, waste of money, and disposal headache to always be buying coin cell batteries and I'm not aware of any way to recharge a coin-cell.
2) Does the system have a headphone jack? That's all I use with my C3 Pro / Sena 50S combo.

Thanks,
Ski

The SC2 comes with a spare battery for the remote control. That's a plus.
There is no headphone jack though... oh well.
The SC2, compared to the 50S on my other helmet, performs just as good. Do I miss the jog dial? That remains to be seen.
My only gripe is the voice commands seldom work at all, just like the 50S. That has held true on all Sena built units I've owned.
My new C5 fits me perfectly compared to my previous C3 pro. On the two day long rides I used it on, it proved to be a keeper.

Last edited:
Just received the XXXL C5 and the comfort level is outstanding for me, no pressure point on the forehead.

Has anyone figured out how to remove the Sun Visor? I'd like to add a sun-blocking strip above eye level but can't figure out the new retention system.

Ski

FINALLY found these directions on the web. This looks like a document that should have come with the helmet but I did not receive one.

https://head.schuberth.com/storage/uploads/2022/05/13/MANUAL_C5---DOT-rev.4_uid_627e372cd93ca.pdf

Page 29 shows the sun visor removal - instructions are a bit iffy but I was able to get one side to release and then reconnected (which was also a pain). I miss the C3 Pro solution with the visor tool being built in to the helmet top vent control.

Ski

OK- ordered my Eclipse Blue size 61 cm. I elected to pay the expedited shipping (free:4-6 weeks vs expedited 3-4 days) But it also says they might need a week to get both pieces together and out the door. So 10-12 days is just about perfect timing for me as I am headed to the beach for 10 days..

Back