Thread: Temp Required to Soften/ Release Loctite Blue

Temp Required to Soften/ Release Loctite Blue

I'm in the process of removing the front fork sliders from my '03 K1200RS in order to renew the weeping seals and the oil and I have reached the point where my Clymer manual instructs me to heat the fasteners securing the sliders to the lower fork brace. Okay- how hot for how long? I have a finely calibrated heat gun and a temperature sensor so I can be fairly precise here. My research with Loctite indicates that Loctite Blue melts at ~550F but my question is- do I really need to go that hot?

Loctite Blue releases unheated at at about 60 ft lbs of torque which is considerably higher than the max torque value for tightening the fasteners in question. I have a breaker bar, but I've seen them live up to their name way too often.....DAMHIK.

Any guidance, advice, incantations, greatly appreciated.

Viejo

Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO View Post
    I'm in the process of removing the front fork sliders from my '03 K1200RS in order to renew the weeping seals and the oil and I have reached the point where my Clymer manual instructs me to heat the fasteners securing the sliders to the lower fork brace. Okay- how hot for how long? I have a finely calibrated heat gun and a temperature sensor so I can be fairly precise here. My research with Loctite indicates that Loctite Blue melts at ~550F but my question is- do I really need to go that hot?

Loctite Blue releases unheated at at about 60 ft lbs of torque which is considerably higher than the max torque value for tightening the fasteners in question. I have a breaker bar, but I've seen them live up to their name way too often.....DAMHIK.

Any guidance, advice, incantations, greatly appreciated.

Viejo
    With RED I use heat. With Blue I just remove the fastener and then clean the threads. If you wish, a little heat helps but in my experience is not needed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    With RED I use heat. With Blue I just remove the fastener and then clean the threads. If you wish, a little heat helps but in my experience is not needed.
    Mil gracias, Paul...... I was hoping you would be a respondent to this query.

Viejo

I agree, no need to heat blue Locktite.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I agree, no need to heat blue Locktite.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Fact of the matter is that it's so hot in Central Texas right now the fasteners are probably ready to fall out on their own.

Viejo