• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

trouble with my 06 1200GS

don kirkpatrick

i have a 2006 1200GS with 43000 miles. Having running issues under load and trouble with the gear indicator. When in the upper gears 5-6 it will sputter while accelerating
( has new spark plugs that look good), at the same time, the shift indicator will start flashing the numbers of what gear your in. I looked through the comments of the peoples troubles and see where the shift indicator will not read neutral but that not a problem. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks

I can't speak for the 1200s, but with the 1100s and 1150s, any flashing of the Rider Information Display typically indicates an electrical problem.

all the guru's must be on vacation. I was talking with a friend, he says the injectors are suspect. might be partially clogged.

Post #3 is your pointer to the first thing you should check—battery or charging issues. Put the battery on a trickle charger overnight then have it load tested. If the battery tests good, then check voltage at the battery with the engine running—should be 14.2v or close to that. If it’s not, your charging system may be deficient and low voltage in the system could be causing your issues.

A dose of injector cleaner (BG44, Seafoam, etc) every 12k or so is a good thing, but it won’t solve your gear indicator problem. If the misfire/flashing indicator events are related, it points to an electrical issue. Verifying battery condition and alternator output eliminates those as problem sources, which still leaves the possibility of other electrical problems like intermittent shorts or opens from failing insulation or broken wires.

Best,
DeVern

i have a 2006 1200GS with 43000 miles. Having running issues under load and trouble with the gear indicator. When in the upper gears 5-6 it will sputter while accelerating
( has new spark plugs that look good), at the same time, the shift indicator will start flashing the numbers of what gear your in. I looked through the comments of the peoples troubles and see where the shift indicator will not read neutral but that not a problem. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks

I have a 2006 12000RT and I had problems with misfires under load that was caused by a bad stick coil. I had no other problems at the time but I suppose one electrical issue could trigger another.

we got the situation handled, turns out one of the primary coils was bad. replaced the right side primary coil and all is good. just in case someone else runs into this problem.

thanks to hbarclay, who led us down the right path. I forgot to ask if the gear selection light was better too.

Back