Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: The answer to bike flash mobs

  1. #1
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    2,231

    The answer to bike flash mobs

    Here:



    Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  2. #2
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    2,296
    That’s one solution I guess, albeit a very short-sighted one. I’m curious as to the tag “illegal”; never passed through incoming customs? Illegally imported? Stolen and I recovered property? Or just operated by individuals acting outside the law? If the latter, and the bikes were confiscated as a result, then I’d expect to see disposal by auction. And if they wanted them out of New York that semi load of bikes could have been brokered out west. Either way would be $$ in the LE accounts. So really, this looks like just another politician generating a sound bite for an upcoming election, or a police official looking to make chief.

    I guess there’s just something about waste and wanton destruction that doesn’t sit right with me…

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    102
    I saw this on the local NYC news last night, and I thought it was sickening. There are plenty of places where some people need transportation. Yes, talk about waste and wanton destruction. And for what purpose?

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    18,211
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    That’s one solution I guess, albeit a very short-sighted one. I’m curious as to the tag “illegal”; never passed through incoming customs? Illegally imported? Stolen and I recovered property? Or just operated by individuals acting outside the law? If the latter, and the bikes were confiscated as a result, then I’d expect to see disposal by auction. And if they wanted them out of New York that semi load of bikes could have been brokered out west. Either way would be $$ in the LE accounts. So really, this looks like just another politician generating a sound bite for an upcoming election, or a police official looking to make chief.

    I guess there’s just something about waste and wanton destruction that doesn’t sit right with me…

    Best,
    DeVern
    My thoughts as well along with the cost involved in putting the “show” on.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    728
    That sucks, there's a metal shredder in Everett Mass that would make them into much smaller pieces, sounds way cooler too.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  6. #6
    Registered User slowpokepete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Hillsdale, NY
    Posts
    188
    What a waste.

    SPP
    Member # 222067

  7. #7
    This has been flying around Facebook for a while, too.

    Justified, imo, but perhaps the better plan would be to teach the hooligans how to take their bikes apart (e.g. part them out), take digital pics and post them on eBay, then take the proceeds to fund community programs.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    This has been flying around Facebook for a while, too.

    Justified, imo, but perhaps the better plan would be to teach the hooligans how to take their bikes apart (e.g. part them out), take digital pics and post them on eBay, then take the proceeds to fund community programs.
    I'm curious how it's "justified"? It is "understandable" in the sense that frustrated officials who can't deal with the problem (perpetrators not machines) take it out on inanimate objects that, in the hands of law-abiding citizens, would have real utility (especially in our high fuel cost environment). They even have utility to the government in the sense that a sale yields cash in coffers. Instead they beclown themselves.

  9. #9
    What's scrap metal going for today on the open market? What's the cost to destroy them in this manner vs profit for scrap?

    The most money for the least output, it's likely like this
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  10. #10
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    22,632
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    What's scrap metal going for today on the open market? What's the cost to destroy them in this manner vs profit for scrap?

    The most money for the least output, it's likely like this
    That is totally unsorted scrap so is probably not worth the cost to separate the plastic, aluminum, steel, foam rubber, etc. It will probably go to a landfill. Bottom line it was/is a political stunt. I suspect it was intended to send a message. Whether it deters anybody remains to be seen. All-in-all, it was a stupid waste.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That is totally unsorted scrap so is probably not worth the cost to separate the plastic, aluminum, steel, foam rubber, etc. It will probably go to a landfill. Bottom line it was/is a political stunt. I suspect it was intended to send a message. Whether it deters anybody remains to be seen. All-in-all, it was a stupid waste.
    Where's the "like" button when you need one?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That is totally unsorted scrap so is probably not worth the cost to separate the plastic, aluminum, steel, foam rubber, etc. It will probably go to a landfill. Bottom line it was/is a political stunt. I suspect it was intended to send a message. Whether it deters anybody remains to be seen. All-in-all, it was a stupid waste.
    A motorcycle junk yard for parts should have purchased them from the city. There's a lot of value there in parts alone.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  13. #13
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    22,632
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    A motorcycle junk yard for parts should have purchased them from the city. There's a lot of value there in parts alone.
    There WAS a lot of value, but bent, mashed, and crushed moto parts are not a bargain. I would think seizing the bikes would be deterrent enough. Which is why I call it a political stunt.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  14. #14
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    That’s one solution I guess, albeit a very short-sighted one. I’m curious as to the tag “illegal”; never passed through incoming customs? Illegally imported? Stolen and I recovered property? Or just operated by individuals acting outside the law? If the latter, and the bikes were confiscated as a result, then I’d expect to see disposal by auction. And if they wanted them out of New York that semi load of bikes could have been brokered out west. Either way would be $$ in the LE accounts. So really, this looks like just another politician generating a sound bite for an upcoming election, or a police official looking to make chief.

    I guess there’s just something about waste and wanton destruction that doesn’t sit right with me…

    Best,
    DeVern
    From what I have seen from news reports, the bikes and ATVs were illegal for use on public roads, uninsured, not registered, not legal, period. Crushing with a D9 was a bit overkill. It does look like they drained fluids before doing so. The stunt was meant to impress the people doing their bike flash mob stunts on city streets. It was a royal PITA trying to corral those flash mob riders.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  15. #15
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    22,632
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    From what I have seen from news reports, the bikes and ATVs were illegal for use on public roads, uninsured, not registered, not legal, period. Crushing with a D9 was a bit overkill. It does look like they drained fluids before doing so. The stunt was meant to impress the people doing their bike flash mob stunts on city streets. It was a royal PITA trying to corral those flash mob riders.
    So once caught sufficient to seize the bikes were the riders charged? Were they tried? What were the meager penalties? Did the defense lawyers lie as much as usual?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Similar Threads

  1. Answer to the helmet debate
    By Voni in forum Campfire
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 12:17 PM
  2. FLASH!! - 'Alexander the Great' falls off his bike!
    By TheSlashFiveTourer in forum Campfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
  3. I may have found the answer
    By CARVERBOATBOY in forum Campfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 02:06 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 11:45 PM
  5. The Answer - 152 mph electric motorcycle
    By 99007 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •