• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The answer to bike flash mobs

We were in DC a couple of weeks ago and at the Lincoln Memorial and had three idiots on dirt bikes and a four wheeler popping wheelies and tearing around all the tourists in front of memorial. I thought sure someone was going to get hurt. The capital police were sitting in the parking lot not able to do anything about it I’m sure for fear causing an accident with these guys and an innocent bystander. Eventually they tore off down the mall.

I have changed my mind. I support seizing, and crushing, and then running them through a shredder. I have decided that would be under the category of "education".

Before or after they are crushed??

:clap

It sends a message to the hooligans [ the term used by themselves when stunting on public ways ] that you're not going to get a slap on the wrist and the bike back, it's gone. Destroyed so even your buddies can't buy it back to then be put back on the streets.

We have a crime problem in this country for one major reason. There's rarely enough punishment meted out so the criminals now know, they'll get a slap and back on the streets in just a few hours.

Make the punishment severe enough, it will reduce some of the unnecessary crimes committed as they are only perpetrated knowing there's no real punishment.

Before or after they are crushed??

Before of course! The theme of this thread seems to be that these riders went out and plunked down six to seven thousand dollars at their dealers and went riding on the streets and they get what they get.

Most of these are stolen. From my area- https://www.wcvb.com/article/5-investigates-boston-bracing-for-return-of-dirt-bikes-atvs/40108208

I have always thought, and tried to do, returning property to its rightful owner was part of a good society. Most that I have assisted with the return of their property, from keys to stuffed animals to vehicles were grateful for the effort……and, this is even if they didn’t want it back. Knowing what happened to their property closed the loop in their wondering where it was/went.

Oh yeah, punishing the offenders once in a while wouldn’t hurt either.

OM

I'm all about using whatever means necessary to stop a fleeing criminal. Because at that point they are a criminal. Screw em, they give all motorcyclists a bad name. :nono

I'm all about using whatever means necessary to stop a fleeing criminal. Because at that point they are a criminal. Screw em, they give all motorcyclists a bad name. :nono

I guess so much for that "innocent until proven guilty" concept, huh.

That Arkansas cop could've killed the guy on the motorcycle...I guess whatever he did potentially deserves the death penalty, and the cop gets to make that decision?

Come on now.

Sorry, can't get on board with that kind of thinking.

Plus, you know, the law and all that.

SPP

So he's fleeing from the law in a high speed pursuit but he's really innocent of fleeing until a judge or jury proves him guilty? Nah, it's obvious, run him down and taser his hind end. And then crush his motorbike. :ha

The motorbike is innocent. The rider is guilty of stupidity. The officer, who knows.:scratch:dunno: Was the rider wearing a DOT approved helmet?

That Arkansas cop could've killed the guy on the motorcycle...I guess whatever he did potentially deserves the death penalty, and the cop gets to make that decision?

Come on now.

Sorry, can't get on board with that kind of thinking.

Plus, you know, the law and all that.

SPP

Pet peeve...the concept is PRESUMED innocent within the justice system.Trial starts with the presumption (not the fact) that you are innocent. Fleeing a lawful order is kinda ipso facto guilt and the consequence thereof is on the criminal.. Not having stayed at a Holiday inn, I don't know Arkansas law regarding pursuit, in this case it ended well, but many jurisdictions have rules against it in certain neighborhoods. To the topic...the bike is the victim in this and doesn't deserve crushing (IMHO). Whether it's sold for parts or crushed or returned to the rightful owner (assuming it was stolen) would have no effect on hooliganism.

:clap

It sends a message to the hooligans [ the term used by themselves when stunting on public ways ] that you're not going to get a slap on the wrist and the bike back, it's gone. Destroyed so even your buddies can't buy it back to then be put back on the streets.

We have a crime problem in this country for one major reason. There's rarely enough punishment meted out so the criminals now know, they'll get a slap and back on the streets in just a few hours.

Make the punishment severe enough, it will reduce some of the unnecessary crimes committed as they are only perpetrated knowing there's no real punishment.

You do not have to catch them all. Catch and punish a few each time. Eventually it will lose interest. Right now it appears they catch and punish none. That has never worked.

Rod

Back