Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The answer to bike flash mobs

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    So once caught sufficient to seize the bikes were the riders charged? Were they tried? What were the meager penalties? Did the defense lawyers lie as much as usual?
    It's NYC, they may or may not have been charged. They may or may not be let off with no penalties. But that's sorta irrelevant, as the bikes were seized and destroyed as a result of their being confiscated.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The dirt bikes and ATVs showed up on city street illegally. Crushing them insured they would never show up on the streets again.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    The dirt bikes and ATVs showed up on city street illegally. Crushing them insured they would never show up on the streets again.
    I think that was their intent. Never to see them again on the streets under any conditions. Putting them through a smelter would be much more expensive.

We've got the flash mob bikers out here, they are called "hooligans" and like to stunt on public ways, sometimes shutting down traffic on the highways so they can stunt [ usually at night ]. Phx PD doesn't even pursue them anymore on the public ways when they are caught violating traffic laws, considered a waste of time as most "run" and they are not to pursue at high rates of speed endangering even more people in a chase. Now they just watch them do their "thing", ignoring them.

It irritates the crap out of me, they have a FB page in the valley and flaunt violating the laws. Most run no plates so if they are chased, they only need outrun the cruiser/s and they get off scott free. Chaps my butt they are allowed to do this on public ways.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Example of a biker flash mob in action. I would never have guessed that there that many dirt bikes anywhere near Manhattan. Kind of resembles a motorized riot, IMHO.

My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Jerry Emhoff
    We were in DC a couple of weeks ago and at the Lincoln Memorial and had three idiots on dirt bikes and a four wheeler popping wheelies and tearing around all the tourists in front of memorial. I thought sure someone was going to get hurt. The capital police were sitting in the parking lot not able to do anything about it Iím sure for fear causing an accident with these guys and an innocent bystander. Eventually they tore off down the mall.
    Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Mirider View Post
    We were in DC a couple of weeks ago and at the Lincoln Memorial and had three idiots on dirt bikes and a four wheeler popping wheelies and tearing around all the tourists in front of memorial. I thought sure someone was going to get hurt. The capital police were sitting in the parking lot not able to do anything about it Iím sure for fear causing an accident with these guys and an innocent bystander. Eventually they tore off down the mall.
    I have changed my mind. I support seizing, and crushing, and then running them through a shredder. I have decided that would be under the category of "education".
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I would like to see the bikes returned to their rightful owners.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I would like to see the bikes returned to their rightful owners.
    OM
    Before or after they are crushed??
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

It sends a message to the hooligans [ the term used by themselves when stunting on public ways ] that you're not going to get a slap on the wrist and the bike back, it's gone. Destroyed so even your buddies can't buy it back to then be put back on the streets.

We have a crime problem in this country for one major reason. There's rarely enough punishment meted out so the criminals now know, they'll get a slap and back on the streets in just a few hours.

Make the punishment severe enough, it will reduce some of the unnecessary crimes committed as they are only perpetrated knowing there's no real punishment.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Before of course! The theme of this thread seems to be that these riders went out and plunked down six to seven thousand dollars at their dealers and went riding on the streets and they get what they get.

Most of these are stolen. From my area- https://www.wcvb.com/article/5-inves...-atvs/40108208

I have always thought, and tried to do, returning property to its rightful owner was part of a good society. Most that I have assisted with the return of their property, from keys to stuffed animals to vehicles were grateful for the effort……and, this is even if they didn’t want it back. Knowing what happened to their property closed the loop in their wondering where it was/went.

Oh yeah, punishing the offenders once in a while wouldn’t hurt either.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200