• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 R1100RT Inconsistent Idle speed....sometime dies at the Stoplight.

Update!

Took the bike on an 800 mile ride through the Ozarks. This is what happened:

Left the KC metro area at around 9am. At my first stoplight the bike wasn't warmed up yet. However it developed a misfire reminiscent of a coil dropping out....or a spark plug cap not secured. This would occur briefly and quickly return to normal idle. When I got it out on the interstate it ran fine at normal cruising rpm. So...a few times I would drop the throttle, pull in the clutch to see what it would do...same thing, something like a misfire, once it even died. After about 12 miles of interstate riding I figured it was warmed up so I pulled off and listened to it idle. No problems. I continued on my trip. That misfire never happened again.

The bike performed well. The only 2 complaints are that I'm not used to the higher idle speed, it idles at about 1250-1300rpm. Also at very, very small throttle apertures at highway speed I get a slight sensation of surging. It is difficult to tell if this is a genuine engine/fueling problem or wind buffeting (this is the first time I've had it on this long of a trip). Overall I would rate it's drivability and performance at 99%. 43MPG.

I checked out the Euromotoelectrik site....they have what they call a "fuel injector upgrade set" for $180 or so. That's almost cheap enough to role the dice on. Hmmmm.....

Back