• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

49 liter top case bottom cracking

Bobzilla

In the process of taking apart my 2014 R12RT's 49 liter top case (old style) for painting I noticed some serious cracking on the bottom of the case. Since both the top and bottom of the case are double walled, I will need to be able to get to the inside of the outer bottom case to possibly be able to fix the cracks via some plastic welding. The same for the top for painting.
Has anyone out there ever split apart the double walls of either the top or bottom of the 49 liter top case. I've removed all the screws from the top half and have not been able to separate the 2 walls. Due to my experience with the top, I have not yet tried to remove all the screws from the bottom. Anyone out there have any experience splitting apart the double walls of either the top or bottom of old style 49 liter top case? Any insight to the process (if it's even possible) would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
cracks.JPG

When I repair plastic like that, I use G-Flex Epoxy with thin aluminum or galvanized sheet metal and “Pop” rivets.
The metal is laid over the crack and drilled through both the metal and plastic. The epoxy is mixed, metal laid in and then pop-riveted.
Kinda homely on a visible surface but can be re-coated with a little more epoxy to cover.
On the bottom, should work out well.
OM

When I repair plastic like that, I use G-Flex Epoxy with thin aluminum or galvanized sheet metal and “Pop” rivets.
The metal is laid over the crack and drilled through both the metal and plastic. The epoxy is mixed, metal laid in and then pop-riveted.
Kinda homely on a visible surface but can be re-coated with a little more epoxy to cover.
On the bottom, should work out well.
OM

Thx for your reply. The real problem I have is how to split apart the double walled top and bottom parts of the case. If I can do that a lot of repair options become more viable.

Back