• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cooling vests

I've tried using a zip lock bag to recharge my cooling vest. They didn't last very long. I had a light weight roll top bag laying around that the vest fit in. Now I just add water and roll it down the required three rolls and clip it shut. No leaks or spills. When I'm ready to wear it I dump out any remaining water and put it on. Roll the empty bag up and clip it onto one of the Rok strap that hold my gear on the back seat.

I hadn’t considered that… thanks for the tip!

I've been using the same Hefty Jumbo 2.5 gallon bag for at least seven years with no problem.

Evaporative cooling vests work better (and the effect lasts longer) when worn directly against your skin, with your jacket zipped up and just a little air allowed through the end of your sleeves (I don't cinch the sleeve closures on my BMW Comfort Shell jacket). In addition, I use one of the evaporative neck wraps and also wet my helmet liner. The action that makes the most immediate impact is the wet helmet liner...wow, that feels awesome on 90+ degree days. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long until the liner is dried out.

On the way home from last years Great Falls rally, it hit 108 degrees in eastern WA. Using the above strategy at least kept me from passing out in the heat, but I gotta say at that temperature it was still pretty damn miserable riding.

I've been using the same Hefty Jumbo 2.5 gallon bag for at least seven years with no problem.

+1

I use a 2-gallon ziplock and I fold my vest into quarters. I keep the dry vest, in the ziplock, at the bottom of my tailcase. I also carry an aluminum 1-liter water bottle. When I need the vest, I dump the bottle into the ziplock and let it soak for a few minutes. I either refill the bottle at a hose faucet, or sometimes I buy an extra large bottle of cold water from a gas station, and drink half the water and recharge my vest with the remainder. Stay hydrated.

Cap

Ok so i didn't know these even existed until about a month ago when we stopped at the Harley shop in El Paso ...

I have one sold under BMW brand that I purchased from a BMW dealer surely more than 5 years ago now.

Probably they still sell these.

Evaporative cooling vests work better (and the effect lasts longer) when worn directly against your skin, with your jacket zipped up and just a little air allowed through the end of your sleeves (I don't cinch the sleeve closures on my BMW Comfort Shell jacket). In addition, I use one of the evaporative neck wraps and also wet my helmet liner. The action that makes the most immediate impact is the wet helmet liner...wow, that feels awesome on 90+ degree days. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long until the liner is dried out.

On the way home from last years Great Falls rally, it hit 108 degrees in eastern WA. Using the above strategy at least kept me from passing out in the heat, but I gotta say at that temperature it was still pretty damn miserable riding.

Techniche now makes hard-hat liners that use the same tech as their vests. Haven't ordered one to try yet, and it may be too bulky, but that would certainly last a lot longer than soaking my headsock, which I did many times on the trip to and from the rally.

A 20 oz water bottle seems to be about the right amount to fully soak the vest in a bag without it coming out dripping wet. Over a t-shirt under my Airglide jacket worked well, but in super-low humidity conditions it needed more frequent refreshes. It was drying out in half the time expected.

I live in Vegas, and this is all good advice. I'll add that you might want to try the wrist bands. There is almost no skin and fat between the pumping blood in your wrist and when you throw those cooling bands on it does great to cool off your whole body. And yes, air circulation is key for this to work.

I have the hydration pack in my BMW Rallye jacket. Imagine if they had a hose to attach to the cooling vest and it could pump water into the vest as you ride...

When I freshen up my vest, it's like 10 minutes of awesome air conditioning, 10 minutes of pretty nice riding then 10 minutes of realizing it's all going to end soon and then how ever long in hot misery until I stop to rewet my gear... Luckily I'm acclimated enough where anything under 100 feels cool.

Mr Mario Winkelman, gave an entertaining presentation on his research into LD-rider cooling theories he tested in the Mojave desert...
He told the audience to close up your vents and force air up your sleeves thereby creating a evaporative-cool shell around your torso.
It worked with my big KLIM coat as we traversed a dozen states!
https://ldcomfort.com

I have used LD comfort long sleeve and long pant under gear for 17 years. Still using the original set (top & bottom).

The KEY here is wetting the top to chest height (especially the long sleeves)and lightly wringing out, and riding with a closed up jacket.
This has worked for me in extreme heat very well. I usually have to "rewet" every 2-3 hours.

I was a Firefighter for 37 years. Our department and Canadian Armed Forces did testing on effective ways to reduce CORE temperature during exertion in high heat conditions.
They concluded that cooling the forearms was very effective in reducing one's core temperature.

As a result, the District Chiefs cars would carry several foldable chairs with pocket sleeves on the arms of the chair.
During a fire in hot weather, Firefighters who were sent to the "Rehab Sector" after being relieved by another crew would take their coats off and sit in the Chairs

Mr Mario Winkelman, gave an entertaining presentation on his research into LD-rider cooling theories he tested in the Mojave desert...
He told the audience to close up your vents and force air up your sleeves thereby creating a evaporative-cool shell around your torso.

I have used LD comfort long sleeve and long pant under gear for 17 years. Still using the original set (top & bottom).

The KEY here is wetting the top to chest height (especially the long sleeves)and lightly wringing out, and riding with a closed up jacket.
This has worked for me in extreme heat very well. I usually have to "rewet" every 2-3 hours.

FYI......I was a Firefighter for 37 years. Our department and Canadian Armed Forces did testing on effective ways to reduce CORE temperature during exertion in high heat conditions.
They concluded that cooling the forearms was most effective in reducing one's core temperature.

As a result, the District Chiefs cars would carry several foldable chairs with pocket sleeves on the arms of the chair.
During a fire in hot weather, Firefighters who were sent to the "Rehab Sector" , after being relieved by another crew would take their coats off and sit in the chairs.
The pocket sleeves were filled with cool water and fans were directed on the firefighters.
Once there core temperature was lowered, they were sent to "Staging Sector" for reassignment.

These principles work well in the fire service and should work well for you when riding in extreme temperatures.

It wouldn't hurt to carry a few packets of powdered Electrolytes with you to replace ones you lose due to excessive sweating.

FYI......I was a Firefighter for 37 years. Our department and Canadian Armed Forces did testing on effective ways to reduce CORE temperature during exertion in high heat conditions.
They concluded that cooling the forearms was most effective in reducing one's core temperature.

During a fire in hot weather, Firefighters who were sent to the "Rehab Sector" , after being relieved by another crew would take their coats off and sit in the chairs.
The pocket sleeves were filled with cool water and fans were directed on the firefighters.
Once there core temperature was lowered, they were sent to "Staging Sector" for reassignment.

These principles work well in the fire service and should work well for you when riding in extreme temperatures.

Maybe that's why I'm usually always cold...I have wimpy thin arms....

When you have air blowing up your arms..
Where does it enter? My wrists are two shades.darker than my arms from blowing up during the ride. Maybe I should get longer gloves for cooler weather.

I use LD Comfort gear - long sleeve shirt or long sleeves in hot weather. So do 90% or more of the LD riders who ride 24 hour or longer LD rallies, including the 11 day Iron butt rally. Mario's advice is good. Close the vents and then let air up the sleeves and out the neck do evaporative cooling.

I have long thought about creating a vest with tubing, similar to a heated vest. Hook the vest on to the cooler I was given after shoulder surgery. Fill the cooler with ice and water, then plug it into a 12v socket. A pump circulates the water through the vest and then back to the cooler to be chilled again. Might be a fun experiment. Anybody tried something like this?

Jack

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have long thought about creating a vest with tubing, similar to a heated vest. Hook the vest on to the cooler I was given after shoulder surgery. Fill the cooler with ice and water, then plug it into a 12v socket. A pump circulates the water through the vest and then back to the cooler to be chilled again. Might be a fun experiment. Anybody tried something like this?

Jack

Not exactly. But I do know a rider with neuropathy whose feet become very painful if hot. He is now riding a Spider three wheeler. He has a cooler with ice water located in the front trunk, connected to an aquarium pump and tubing inserted in the soles of his shoes to circulate ice water using tubing.

Jack

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...1LM1QYUqUCnhUjY5pBARM09YD672Bf6WnaafHbvKG5V_4

Not exactly. But I do know a rider with neuropathy whose feet become very painful if hot. He is now riding a Spider three wheeler. He has a cooler with ice water located in the front trunk, connected to an aquarium pump and tubing inserted in the soles of his shoes to circulate ice water using tubing.
That is a great idea!

J

Jack

This actually exists. I have one, I used it in my race car. It works pretty well. I had a switch where I would cycle the pump during my track session to increaed the cooling effect. If you've ever had medicine pumped into your body to do an Xray or something, it feels like that when you first cut it on. I think it'd be a pain in the butt on a motorcycle.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=COOLSHIRT

Back