Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tips for riding in gusty winds

Per Paul Glaves suggestion, you can get a wind forecast for just about anywhere in the U.S. by going to nws.noaa.gov. Enter a city and state or zip code in the search box. You will get a page like this. On the right side, click the Hourly Weather Forecast link. The second graph from the top is sustained wind speed and direction, plus gust speed, if any. You can select the wind speed units in the pop-up menus.

Cheers, Ken
    Murphy's Second Law: The number of things that can go wrong can only increase with time.
    2015 R1200GS

Back in'80s had crosswind problems going south on I-25. Going slower than I liked until Raton Pass, where the wind was broken up a bit. After that, maintained higher speed and told myself all that aero downforce generated by the R100RS fairing did the trick. Probably there was less wind.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

As the rock song says “ just hang on loosely but don’t let go…if you cling too tightly you’re going to lose control…” ;-)
    rickdm

R1250GS, R100 GSPD, Honda 300L Rally

I've been hit but winds gusting close to 100 kmh here in Newfoundland, the tail ends of the hurricanes we get can be brutal. There is one section of highway where tractor trailers regularly get blown over. As has been said try to stay loose and give yourself all the room you can for when the wind blows you to the side. I remember one ride where each time I came out of a bluff of land into the wind it would blow me from the yellow lines all the way over to the white line. That day I just stayed on the gas to try to get to my destination as quickly as possible. Made for a sore neck by the end of it.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Nick Kennedy
    Windy.com is another interesting free weather website.

Another weather wind related thing to not mess with is what Pilots call Dust Devils, mini tornados really.
    If you see one ahead best to slow way down and not ride through it.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Windy.com is another interesting free weather website.

Another weather wind related thing to not mess with is what Pilots call Dust Devils, mini tornados really.
    If you see one ahead best to slow way down and not ride through it.
    Nick
    Amen to that. We see them all the time - almost daily - where we wive in the Chihuahuan Desert in the Texas Big Bend. They are thermals and don't even need a windy day to be present.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/