• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Complaints and from a NOOB, might be off base, dunno.

FWIW, when we went to our first rally in Wisconsin, we were new to the MOA and didn't know a soul. We had a hotel room booked a few miles down the road. Then I saw that there were a few spaces available in the Sherpa camp due to cancellations. We talked about it, jumped on it and cancelled the hotel. Long story short, we made friends with the couple in the next tent - we were inseparable - thanks to another friend of theirs, and had a great time. We've now been VERY close friends for more than 15 years, even though we live far enough apart not to see each other often. Our circle has only expanded through the years, growing to about 20 of us, and we've formed a virtual club. We're all in touch regularly and get together when we can.

We also go on outings at the rally - this year it was the privately arranged beer bus (thanks again, Jeff!), the BassPro outing etc - where we meet other people we might want to join our group (Hi Rich!). I guess the point is, don't let it hold you back. I, myself, am a naturally VERY shy person, but for some reason, I come out of my shell at rallies. Maybe it's because we ALL have at least one thing in common - our love of motorcycles. It's a fantastic ice-breaker. We love to talk about them, look for other bikes like ours and compare farkles etc. Don't be discouraged, we were all 'new' once.

Thank you both for your encouragement. But you see things from a different perspective. You will connect when you arrive.
As Ed pointed out, I basically did enjoy both rallies I've attended. Have some stories for friends that don't ride. I do understand nothing in life is guaranteed. You roll with what you get. Detours have come to be opportunities.
But, there are some things you experience in life that you wish you hadn't. Knowing no one at all in a group of 4600. Sleeping in a tent when it's unbearably hot and someone snoring loudly in the adjacent tent. Leaving a shower
that's not very close by and feeling less clean than when you entered. It was VERY interesting that a couple decided it was a coed shower. Just can't get rid of the visual when she told him he has a "nice butt", and other comments
left to the readers imaginations... All fun as I see it, for them. Food choices being the least objectionable. I realize there were great alternatives in-town, but putting on ATGATT in 100+ temps to spark up the LT for a 3-mile ride
just didn't make much sense, to me.
As I mentioned previously, being part of the Stage Crew volunteers was worth doing, but outside of that, I'm more likely to ride to a destination, have a beer in walking distance from the motel and also meet interesting people.
Here's a shout out to Waterloo, IL. Great little town. The Sunset motel is walking distance to two breweries and a handful of good restaurants.
If a rally happens in the WI, IA, MN driftless area, I may be tempted, but paying $400+ for 3-nights in a tent on a fairgrounds won't happen again.

Have fun,
Jer

Like you, I usually prefer to ride alone, but having said that, when riding with others, I’ve always enjoyed their company. My first MOA Rally was Vermont in 2006. Although I knew no one, I did enjoy the seminars and the vendors. (In fact many of the vendors asked for my autograph which was fine by me.:thumb) Yes there were a few noisy campers but being a rider I had ample supply of earplugs which allowed me to have uninterrupted sleeps. Lately, as many others do, I am considering motels, not because of noisy neighbours but because of our increasingly hotter summers.

The following year at the West Bend Rally, my friend Bud and I showed up late on Monday afternoon to volunteer setting up the Rally with various committees. We volunteered during the Rally and were invited to join a group for supper at a Cuban restaurant in a nearby city. I attend a David Hough seminar, and even spent a few minutes talking with Dave after the presentation; a highlight for me. My neighbouring campers were a friendly group that with whom I had many conversations. The music was excellent. I left the Rally with quite a few new acquaintances that I met at future rallies.

At each subsequent Rally I seem to acquire a group of new friends, friends that I sometimes see only once or twice a year, but I consider them friends just the same. Many of these new friends, as have I, became Committee Rally chairs where spend our days supervising our assigned committees. We spend our evenings together for the six nights that we are together, sometimes going out for supper and then spend the nights sharing stories and experiences.

I guess what am trying to say is that a MOA Rally is more than camping, seminars, music and vendors. (Because the rear tire on one of my bikes is not a common size, I certainly would not arrive at the Rally expecting tire vendors to stock a seldom requested tire.) A MOA Rally is about meeting up with other folks who as a group obviously have one thing in common, riding BMW bikes.

Volunteering is certainly one way to meet people. Volunteering for three different committees during a Rally would expand the number of people that you could meet. (You would still have ample time for vendors and seminars.) Meeting others does require an effort on the part of each individual, whether at the Rally or with business acquaintances or for that matter, becoming friends with the people in your neighbourhood.

We tend to get from life from the effort that we contribute. Sorry to read that your MOA Rally experience was one that you would not be tempted to attend future ones.

Last edited:
How did it cost your $400 for admission to the rally?
"paying $400+ for 3-nights in a tent"
Sherpa Packers: http://www.sherpapackers.com/bmw-moa.html
10x10 Single BMW-MOA
$475.00

I'm not a camper when I tour on my bikes, but I guess, because I enjoy both BMWMOA and BMWLT forums, I got caught up in the anticipation of the National.
When I saw I could get off parts of I-55 through IL and ride RT66, I was really looking forward to the trip.
I spent a day just walking the entire fairgrounds looking for K11LTs & K12LTs to chat & ask questions. Maybe too narrow of a group. At Des Moines I was an owner of a '85 R80RT, attended all the airhead seminars, chatted with all I could to learn more about mine. Met Mr Parkhouse whom I was happy to see him
doing so well after his wind blown accident. When I heard about it I felt the need to pay forward for his dedicated contributions to our riding community.
I do really believe we have a common passion in riding and enjoy meeting riders on any make or model. I've just never made a connection that has endured
beyond those moments. I take 100% responsibility for not furthering the connection. That's why I feel so alone when immersed in a group of 4600 of
what should be my close friends.
Prior to a rally I have a desire to ride to, I'll reach out to those I volunteered with in the beer garden at Des Moines and stage crew at Springfield to find out
where they're staying. That would probably help get a room before they're all booked.

Thanks for all the considerate suggestions,
Jer

Last edited:
I'm seeing a common theme here with rally virgins often feeling left out. I most definitely felt that way at my first, and like some others that was nearly my last. Someone responded to my post-rally comments suggesting that volunteering was a great way of making new friends. I tried that, and it worked for the most part. Some volunteer shifts were staffed by groups of long time friends who were less than welcoming. But over the years my circle of friends has expanded and I now look forward to reconnecting every year.

I'm also grateful at the steps taken to welcome and orient first timers, but it shouldn't stop there. If we, as individuals or established small groups, would greet and spend time with first timers so they didn't feel like outsiders (apart from the official welcome by the MOA), more newbies would feel like they'd been adopted into the family. I didn't see "First Timer" stickers this year, but having some way to identify newcomers would help those of us inclined to function as ambassadors and welcome them into the fold.

Pete

I'm seeing a common theme here with rally virgins often feeling left out. I most definitely felt that way at my first, and like some others that was nearly my last. Someone responded to my post-rally comments suggesting that volunteering was a great way of making new friends. I tried that, and it worked for the most part. Some volunteer shifts were staffed by groups of long time friends who were less than welcoming. But over the years my circle of friends has expanded and I now look forward to reconnecting every year.

I'm also grateful at the steps taken to welcome and orient first timers, but it shouldn't stop there. If we, as individuals or established small groups, would greet and spend time with first timers so they didn't feel like outsiders (apart from the official welcome by the MOA), more newbies would feel like they'd been adopted into the family. I didn't see "First Timer" stickers this year, but having some way to identify newcomers would help those of us inclined to function as ambassadors and welcome them into the fold.

Pete
Hi Pete,

If I recall correctly we met at Des Moines on the beer bus. Great group of people and friendly especially near the end of the "crawl". :) I have had all Goldens
over the last 35-yrs, so seeing yours was a treat since I was missing mine.
I did see a 1st-timmer sticker on a fellow Sherpa camper and chatted a bit about his trip to Springfield. He seemed very happy to engage, but when we parted,
that was it. I'm sure he felt welcomed as I did in Des Moines. On entry to Springfield, having just ridden for 6-hrs, with helmet on and bike running, I was
"greeted" at the entrance to the fairgrounds and handed stuff and told things I wasn't fulling understanding. In Des Moines, we were led to a building where
all that took place, with a BIG resounding "First Timer" and cheers from all in the building. I did feel welcomed there.

Have fun,
Jer

Back