• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Complaints and from a NOOB, might be off base, dunno.

The '22 national was my first. I know no one has control of the oppressive heat. That being said, I found the facilities at the fairground to be woefully beyond it's limits. I got up at 5:30 Friday to beat the crowds at the showers, only to find lines 10 deep. Campsites were cramped. I know that a lot of work and planning go into these events and I thank them for that. I guess I am just not a crowd person. My first is also my last.

You might prefer one of the local club rallies, or one of the several BMW MOA Getaways.

The '22 national was my first. I know no one has control of the oppressive heat. That being said, I found the facilities at the fairground to be woefully beyond it's limits. I got up at 5:30 Friday to beat the crowds at the showers, only to find lines 10 deep. Campsites were cramped. I know that a lot of work and planning go into these events and I thank them for that. I guess I am just not a crowd person. My first is also my last.
My hotel room wasn't crowded at all. 70*F, no wait for shower, hot breakfast, free happy hour with hors' d'oeuvres. 5 minutes from rally site. Granted, I paid money for it while camping was free, but I enjoyed my first rally experience. I also attend a couple of 3-4 day music festivals each year, and stay in hotel within walking distance of the site, rather than camping, so if the crowd and heat become overwhelming, I have a place to get away. YMMV

My hotel room wasn't crowded at all. 70*F, no wait for shower, hot breakfast, free happy hour with hors' d'oeuvres. 5 minutes from rally site. Granted, I paid money for it while camping was free, but I enjoyed my first rally experience. I also attend a couple of 3-4 day music festivals each year, and stay in hotel within walking distance of the site, rather than camping, so if the crowd and heat become overwhelming, I have a place to get away. YMMV

Couldn't agree more....Already booked a room for 2023

Couldn't agree more....Already booked a room for 2023

Us too. We camped at every rally from Missoula in 1984 until Doomsburg. Since Doomsburg we have made motel reservations as soon as possible after the rally location is announced.

Sedalia was hot, Salt Lake City was hot, Springfield was hot.

2023 is going to be a little challenging for people. There are not very many rooms right near the rally site, and one of those motels is a dump. A few more motels to the north about 6 miles away, and then metro Richmond to the south maybe 15 to 20 miles away.

Us too. We camped at every rally from Missoula in 1984 until Doomsburg. Since Doomsburg we have made motel reservations as soon as possible after the rally location is announced.

Sedalia was hot, Salt Lake City was hot, Springfield was hot.

2023 is going to be a little challenging for people. There are not very many rooms right near the rally site, and one of those motels is a dump. A few more motels to the north about 6 miles away, and then metro Richmond to the south maybe 15 to 20 miles away.

Hopefully some of the members in that area can get together and do a bit of reconnaissance as to available area lodging and report back to the group.
Doomsburg was actually Bloomsburg.
OM

Hopefully some of the members in that area can get together and do a bit of reconnaissance as to available area lodging and report back to the group.
Doomsburg was actually Bloomsburg.
OM

Next time I feel like burning some gas I can do a little scouting. June can be really nice around here or like Springfield was. But, I agree, it's sort of near things and near nothing at the same time.

Next time I feel like burning some gas I can do a little scouting. June can be really nice around here or like Springfield was. But, I agree, it's sort of near things and near nothing at the same time.

I’m sure it will be helpful. :thumb
You could start a new thread……perhaps the ‘23 MOA rally amenities scouting thread?
OM

The Meadows Event Park website has a list of 11 hotels / motels they deal with. Most have a discount code associated with Meadows. I have stayed in the Fredericksburg area back in the ‘90s when doing some work for the government. Don’t really know about the Richmond area other than the Speedway. The southern Metro access to DC is just north of Fredericksburg.

https://meadoweventpark.com/visit-us#lodging

Guess I will jump in with my $.02 here about 2022 and 2023. Springfield was not my first MOA National and I don't camp but always motel / Hotel it. I have to day I had a blast! The venue at the Best Western was perfect for evening tire kicking and sharing adult beverages and was walking distance to everything I needed. I thought the rally was great the the vendors this year seemed better than most years. Cycle Gear and Motorcycle.com were great additions and the LidPicker gut was a wonderful addition !! Was it hot ... yup but as I have said before IT"S SUMMER! Most every Rally I've attended since 2000 has been hot except for West Bend and Great Falls. Was 2022 perfect ... nope but hey it's volunteers and they did a great job. I brought 2 new BMW Owenrs with me and it was their first BMW Rally .... they have already signed up for 2023 ... nuff said!

I have already booked my hotel for 2023 since as noted here looks like rooms may be at a premium. We had to book about 14 miles away but found a nice place at a reasonable rate with walking to multiple dining options and it is NOT right on I-95. I would caution folks that the Rally site is RIGHT ACROSS FROM KINGS DOMINION so I suspect any close hotels may be full of screaming 7 year olds. Just saying. Living in Charlotte and with our son in MD we'll certainly have opportunity to check out my hotel selection first hand in the next month or 2.

Thanks to all who made 2022 happen and already looking forward to 2023. And thanks to everyone who was at the Best Western and made it fun!

The venue at the Best Western was perfect for evening tire kicking and sharing adult beverages and was walking distance to everything I needed. !

The Best Western was a nice setup. It was like having another rally site.

20220615_222615.jpg

20220616_205538.jpg

Guess I will jump in with my $.02 here about 2022 and 2023. Springfield was not my first MOA National and I don't camp but always motel / Hotel it. I have to day I had a blast! The venue at the Best Western was perfect for evening tire kicking and sharing adult beverages and was walking distance to everything I needed. I thought the rally was great the the vendors this year seemed better than most years. Cycle Gear and Motorcycle.com were great additions and the LidPicker gut was a wonderful addition !! Was it hot ... yup but as I have said before IT"S SUMMER! Most every Rally I've attended since 2000 has been hot except for West Bend and Great Falls. Was 2022 perfect ... nope but hey it's volunteers and they did a great job. I brought 2 new BMW Owenrs with me and it was their first BMW Rally .... they have already signed up for 2023 ... nuff said!

I have already booked my hotel for 2023 since as noted here looks like rooms may be at a premium. We had to book about 14 miles away but found a nice place at a reasonable rate with walking to multiple dining options and it is NOT right on I-95. I would caution folks that the Rally site is RIGHT ACROSS FROM KINGS DOMINION so I suspect any close hotels may be full of screaming 7 year olds. Just saying. Living in Charlotte and with our son in MD we'll certainly have opportunity to check out my hotel selection first hand in the next month or 2.

Thanks to all who made 2022 happen and already looking forward to 2023. And thanks to everyone who was at the Best Western and made it fun!

We booked at the Country Inn & Suites. Its there by Kings Dominion. Gets good reviews and we wanted to be close to the event park. My guess is the 3 hotels right there will be booked mostly with BMW rally attendees.

We booked at the Country Inn & Suites. Its there by Kings Dominion. Gets good reviews and we wanted to be close to the event park. My guess is the 3 hotels right there will be booked mostly with BMW rally attendees.

We looked at that one too but 1) was too close to Kings Dominion and 2) looks like Burger King is the only walkable dining option. In addition the rates were not any better than other hotels we checked. But as you noted it is one of the better close options.

We looked at that one too but 1) was too close to Kings Dominion and 2) looks like Burger King is the only walkable dining option. In addition the rates were not any better than other hotels we checked. But as you noted it is one of the better close options.

We booked at the Super 8 up at Ruther Glen, about 8 miles north.

Yea we'll see....It was a toss up and we decided to get close as possible to the rally. Did see that BK was the only place walking distance to eat. Can probably get something delivered if need be, or eat at the rally in the evenings.

Really hoping for a shuttle running from those 3 close hotels. Will be nice to enjoy a few beers at the rally and just shuttle back.

Anyone else have trouble using the site to pay for next year? I tried and then it gave me an "Error Fetching Resource" when I went to submit for payment. :(

Yea we'll see....It was a toss up and we decided to get close as possible to the rally. Did see that BK was the only place walking distance to eat. Can probably get something delivered if need be, or eat at the rally in the evenings.

Really hoping for a shuttle running from those 3 close hotels. Will be nice to enjoy a few beers at the rally and just shuttle back.

Yeah or just Uber or Lyft .... that's what we did in Springfield after day 1 so that we could dress in shorts and t-shirts. With a few of us splitting it was pretty cheap. You can probably find someone else to share the cost too.

Ed,
As one of the Rally Co-Chairs it's good to hear that you had a good time. I will claim credit for the appearance of MotorcycleGear.com this year as a new vendor. I have traded with them since they started years ago as NewEnough.com, and they have always been great to work with. Their Lid Picker service was essential for me to figure out why I've always had trouble finding a good helmet fit and in finding a modular helmet light enough to not cause neck pain like my old helmet did. I called them this past spring to say I thought they would do well at an MOA rally. I was able to talk with the two owners during the rally and they were very happy with their sales and said they would be back in 2023.

For those of you looking for a new helmet I highly recommend you check our LidPicker.com: https://www.lidpicker.com/.

While it seems a lid was $5.00 back in the day :jose

That lidpicker site looks like a great idea. :thumb

OM

Back