Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Complaints and from a NOOB, might be off base, dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by HSVPhil View Post
    We brought some shade and chilled beverages with us to the Bright & Sunny campgrounds.
    Great photos -- thanks for sharing them.

But seeing your tent / camper thing...made me think back to our sailing / cruising days when we were researching life rafts for our boat. We were told that the best life raft stores small, taking up little room on deck but inflates to be the QE2.

So...same concept with your tent / camper?

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Interesting comments. I would like to know what you expected that you didn't see or have access to at this rally. The guy with the air horns being another matter for the moment.
    Let me make this perfectly clear: I had no expectations, otherwise enjoyed my time at the rally.

Very much enjoyed off-rally, at supper, parking lots and of course, that adult beverage store where I got my favorite beer, repeatedly.

My thoughts of the shortcomings I saw are not a criticism of the rally volunteer/organizers. They did a great job.

Air horn guy, I forgot about the actual event shortly after, one beer I think.

My thoughts went to what he might be thinking with his actions and it didn't fit the rest of my rally experiences.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post

My thoughts went to what he might be thinking with his actions and it didn't fit the rest of my rally experiences.
    When you gather 4,600 or so folks together there is bound to be at least one jerk who aggravates the rest. In this case it is one of those pathetic persons who in 5th grade screamed "pick me, pick me" when passed over time and time again in the dodge ball team selections at recess. As pseudo adults they will do almost anything to be noticed. I actually pity them.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    When you gather 4,600 or so folks together there is bound to be at least one jerk who aggravates the rest. In this case it is one of those pathetic persons who in 5th grade screamed "pick me, pick me" when passed over time and time again in the dodge ball team selections at recess. As pseudo adults they will do almost anything to be noticed. I actually pity them.
    Mental midgets is what they are….
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

National rant

The '22 national was my first. I know no one has control of the oppressive heat. That being said, I found the facilities at the fairground to be woefully beyond it's limits. I got up at 5:30 Friday to beat the crowds at the showers, only to find lines 10 deep. Campsites were cramped. I know that a lot of work and planning go into these events and I thank them for that. I guess I am just not a crowd person. My first is also my last.

Quote Originally Posted by anivgs View Post
    The '22 national was my first. I know no one has control of the oppressive heat. That being said, I found the facilities at the fairground to be woefully beyond it's limits. I got up at 5:30 Friday to beat the crowds at the showers, only to find lines 10 deep. Campsites were cramped. I know that a lot of work and planning go into these events and I thank them for that. I guess I am just not a crowd person. My first is also my last.
    You might prefer one of the local club rallies, or one of the several BMW MOA Getaways.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by anivgs View Post
    My hotel room wasn't crowded at all. 70*F, no wait for shower, hot breakfast, free happy hour with hors' d'oeuvres. 5 minutes from rally site. Granted, I paid money for it while camping was free, but I enjoyed my first rally experience. I also attend a couple of 3-4 day music festivals each year, and stay in hotel within walking distance of the site, rather than camping, so if the crowd and heat become overwhelming, I have a place to get away. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by italia View Post
    My hotel room wasn't crowded at all. 70*F, no wait for shower, hot breakfast, free happy hour with hors' d'oeuvres. 5 minutes from rally site. Granted, I paid money for it while camping was free, but I enjoyed my first rally experience. I also attend a couple of 3-4 day music festivals each year, and stay in hotel within walking distance of the site, rather than camping, so if the crowd and heat become overwhelming, I have a place to get away. YMMV
    Couldn't agree more....Already booked a room for 2023
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Chesnee, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by brorke View Post
    Couldn't agree more....Already booked a room for 2023
    Us too. We camped at every rally from Missoula in 1984 until Doomsburg. Since Doomsburg we have made motel reservations as soon as possible after the rally location is announced.

Sedalia was hot, Salt Lake City was hot, Springfield was hot.

2023 is going to be a little challenging for people. There are not very many rooms right near the rally site, and one of those motels is a dump. A few more motels to the north about 6 miles away, and then metro Richmond to the south maybe 15 to 20 miles away.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Us too. We camped at every rally from Missoula in 1984 until Doomsburg. Since Doomsburg we have made motel reservations as soon as possible after the rally location is announced.

Sedalia was hot, Salt Lake City was hot, Springfield was hot.

2023 is going to be a little challenging for people. There are not very many rooms right near the rally site, and one of those motels is a dump. A few more motels to the north about 6 miles away, and then metro Richmond to the south maybe 15 to 20 miles away.
    Hopefully some of the members in that area can get together and do a bit of reconnaissance as to available area lodging and report back to the group.
    Doomsburg was actually Bloomsburg.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Hopefully some of the members in that area can get together and do a bit of reconnaissance as to available area lodging and report back to the group.
    Doomsburg was actually Bloomsburg.
    OM

Next time I feel like burning some gas I can do a little scouting. June can be really nice around here or like Springfield was. But, I agree, it's sort of near things and near nothing at the same time.
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    Next time I feel like burning some gas I can do a little scouting. June can be really nice around here or like Springfield was. But, I agree, it's sort of near things and near nothing at the same time.
    I’m sure it will be helpful.
    You could start a new thread……perhaps the ‘23 MOA rally amenities scouting thread?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I’m sure it will be helpful.
    You could start a new thread……perhaps the ‘23 MOA rally amenities scouting thread?
    OM
    Good idea! When I get to it.... it's like a Ride to Eat, but not really Eat.
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

The Meadows Event Park website has a list of 11 hotels / motels they deal with. Most have a discount code associated with Meadows. I have stayed in the Fredericksburg area back in the ‘90s when doing some work for the government. Don’t really know about the Richmond area other than the Speedway. The southern Metro access to DC is just north of Fredericksburg.

https://meadoweventpark.com/visit-us#lodging
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Thanks, Marc. That should be helpful going forward!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!