• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 G650x Challenge for TAT? 15 years old but well modified. Advice please.

miseenscene

Good day,

I have my eye on a 2007 G650x Challenge as cycle for my TAT ambitions. I own a 06 F650gs Dakar but I am not sure I want to take this since it is in great shape and not currently outfitted for serious off-road excursions. The Challenge for sale as TAT ready is 50 pounds or so lighter than my stock Dakar with BMW system cases.

The 2007 Challenge in question is a two-owner cycle with 23,000 miles. Both the front and rear stock suspension deficiencies have been addressed:

1)Rear replaced with Yagucar Rear Shock FRS
2)MZ Shiver Front Fork Conversion done when parts were still available for this upgrade.

Wisely, the owner procured a spare cush rubber set since this is an orphan model and parts are scarce.

It has been very well equipped for longer off-road expeditions with a custom rack, Mosko bags, etc. and the owner is mature and conscientious. Since the G650 engine is essentially the same as the f650 Rotax I am familiar and comfortable with this platform. The rest of the Challenge is another matter however. I have rarely seen any X series, never ridden one, or even spoken with a owner.

As we all know, the used market is distorted to the high side just now but compared to other options in the $5,000 range I am considering -- KTM LC4 640 Enduro, Honda XR650L -- the G650x Challenge does not appear unreasonable since it is genuinely TAT ready today.

May I ask for advice from MOA riders who own or know this model? Any major concerns other than suspension and crucial parts availability?

Thank you all.

Be well, ride safely.

Last edited:
May I ask for advice from MOA riders who own or know this model? Any major concerns other than suspension and crucial parts availability?

I just sold mine and already miss it.

Swingarm bearings are something to check & re-grease (and it's kind of a pita to do), I'd also inspect and re-grease the rear wheel bearings. Worth replacing, imo (be very careful about sizes as some aftermarket sellers will sell the wrong parts, damhikt. Here is the correct info: Bearings Rear: 2 x 20x42x12mm. SKF 60042RSH ... Bearings Drive Hub: 2 x 25x47x12mm SKF 60052RSH ... Seals Rear: 2 x 32x47x7mm R23)

My bike had a weird problem where the exhaust pipe melted a hole in the coolant return line, which should not be an issue if the exhaust is unmodified. This issue happened after I re-installed the stock pipe, which came with my bike (I bought it used). Check the clearance between the exhaust and the coolant line (it's down by the water pump on the lower left).

These bikes are kind of a pain to work on... in the process of fixing the coolant line I had to remove the exhaust header... *major* pain, the header bolts were frozen. When re-installing I wrapped the exhaust header with that insulating fabric, and that made a big difference in the heat on the left leg.

One other issue I am aware of is the clutch actuating mechanism. Those in the know replace the stock clutch cover/mechanism with the one that came on Husqvarnas of the day. Those may be NLA, I am not sure.

An aftermarket saddle from a place like Renazco is a worthwhile investment. The stock saddle is an ass destroyer.

Most dealer techs know very little this bike these days, so hopefully you got the service manual CD. Parts are usually available from a place like Max BMW.

As you know, the motors are bulletproof as long as they're maintained properly.

A Giant Loop Armadillo gas bag is something you'll need, as the fuel tank is only good for 130 miles.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Good evening Ian,

Thank for the detailed comments on your 650x Challenge and particularly the bearing advice and specifications. I recently overhauled the swingarm on my f650 Dakar and it was a significant process.

I have not yet inspected the cycle (appointment next week) but the owner has sent me a list of modification and upgrades which include an auxiliary fuel can and upgraded seat as well as the clutch cover you cited.

One other issue I read about this model is a poor air filter housing design which allowed dirt to easily pass by. Any comments on this? I don't have a compression test kit but might purchase one if it's likely dust has been entering the cylinder.

Any thoughts on a fair price in the current market as a previous Challenge owner? Would I be safer to find KTM 640 lc4 which, despite the vibrations, is a sturdy machine with great stock suspension? The LC4 was not fuel injected but otherwise is reliable and has parts more readily available.

Thanks again.

Be well, Ride Safely.
RK

Here is the complete list from the seller.

---------------------------------------------

1) Yagucar Rear Shock FRS (Ted Porter’s Beemer Shop).
2) MZ Shiver Front Fork Conversion
3) Steve Gowing Seat
4) Custom Pannier/Top Rack & RotoPax with Mosko Moto 35L Panniers
5) Scheffelmeier Skid Plate with ToolBox.
6) Lynx Fairing Kit (Dash and Lights)
7) Oxford Heated Grips
8) Compact FuzeBlock FZ-1
9) HDB Handguards
10) Clutch Cover Upgrade/Replacement (?)
11) GL Diablo Tank Bag and Aerostich Tank Panniers.
12) Double Take Mirrors

Recent Service and New Wear items (within last 800 miles)

1) Both wheels have been trued and mounted up with a new set of tires – K60 rear/TKC80 front. Both wheels also have new bearings and dust seals (SKF all around). Rear cush rubbers are still in great shape. Both front and rear have Bridgestone heavy duty tubes. Never had a flat with this setup in 20K miles.
2) Almost new TKC-80 rear also included.
3) Front Fork Service. Stripped down and installed new bushings/bearings/seals (SKF low friction) and of course, oil.
4) Air Filter
5) Steering Head Bearings
6) Chain. New DID XRing.
7) New Lithium Battery 5/2022 – EarthX ETX18B.

9) Plugs and valve clearances were done at around 15K.
10) Brake pads are probably due. I have them and will install along with sale if you prefer. Otherwise I’ll include in “spares” (see below)

New Spares & Extra

1) New OEM replacement radiator hoses (4).
2) New OEM clutch cable.
3) New OEM Water Pump Service kit.
4) New OEM front and rear sprockets. With OEM mounting bolt, Bellville washer, spacer for front.
5) Racetech compression valve shims and MZ stock compression valve.
6) New SKF rear swingarm bearings.
7) New OEM Oil Filter kit + 3 Qts Castrol Actevo 10W-40.
8) New Galfer Front and Rear Brake Pads
9) Spare rear drive cush rubbers.

Your bike sounds very well accessorized and maintained. It also sounds like you don’t need to check the swingarm bearings, which is somewhat of a pita to do. :D

To give you a sense of price, I sold my bike at March Moto Madness for $3k… I gave it away. It was slathered with aftermarket goodies, too. Yet, another nicely set-up bike was sold at the same event for $5500. I just wanted to get my bike gone to fund an upcoming tour of the Pyrenees. Your bike sounds like it is *easily* worth $5k or more.

There is an aftermarket fix for the air filter, it may still be available from Touratech. Basically, it is a pre-filter that keeps the actual filter cleaner. The whole setup works very well… my only issue is that it’s really fiddly to remove the small 8mm bolts holding the air box cover, the job takes much longer than it should. You can basically make your own pre-filter with some oiled foam Uni-Filter material.

Personally, I am not a fan of KTM, but this particular bike is about as close to a KTM that you can get. The difference is the Rotax engine in the BMW… it is way smoother than the KTM LC4 (I do not know the technical reasons why… counterbalanced?), and with fuel injection it pulls much cleaner, which really counts for something in the TaT ride you have planned.

One other suggestion that I would make regarding suspension is to get a “shock sock” for your rear… a lot of dirt gets thrown up there as you ride.

If you do buy the bike, I strongly suggest you remove the top of the “fuel tank” (really the entire intake airbox) and familiarize yourself with this area. The way that the whole assembly sits on the bike and connects with the fuel injector is pretty innovative, but not like you’ve seen on other bikes.

Ian

The Perry Mountain 24-hour Challenge

OK, talking about the airbox and air filter maintenance on this bike brought to mind an old war story from 15 years ago.

The Perry Mountain 24-hour Challenge in a well-known enduro event in Alabama. In 2007, someone at BMW Motorrad NA had an idea (it was probably Laurence Kuykendahl) to enter the then-new Xchallenge in the Ironman Class... with rider Heli Kornton.

Typically a group of 4-6 riders would compete as a team, so that riders could rest throughout the 24 hours of the event. The Ironman class is for über-riders only. BMW NA relied on BMW of Atlanta (now Wooly's Cycle of Atlanta) and Bobby Wooldridge (Wooly's son) to head up the pit crew. Bobby invited me to ride over and support... I took my then-new HP2 enduro.

There was a drought going on, it was super dry, and MEGA-dusty. Each lap of the course was 6 miles of very rough woods riding and on each lap, Heli pitted the Xchallenge and we put in a new air filter. Each old one was completely encrusted with dirt and that is when I learned just what a pita it is to get that airbox cover off. It was also when I learned just how long 24 hours is! :ha

Heli rode a superb race, resting only 1 hours for the entire 24... and he finished on the podium. This was on a bike that came right off the showroom floor, with absolutely no modifications, other than a set of Cycra hand guards to protect Heli's hands from roost. Here are some of my pics from the day (and night)

Before the carnage began...
DSCN9028-X3.jpg

The Grand Prix-style start... check the dust, it got way worse!
DSCN9031-X3.jpg

Heli did manage to find some mud, though... as usual!
DSCN9034-X3.jpg

Some time in the middle of the night...
DSCN9062-X3.jpg

Oops! Believe it or not, this was the only damage done to the bike.
DSCN9073-X3.jpg

After the carnage, man... poor Heli was BEAT!
DSCN9074-X3.jpg

Last, if you remember this ad for the 1150 GS from wayback when (2001-ish)... Heli is the rider.

Back