• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broken down in Cuba MO, R100RS

davidr94301

Hi folks,
I am a newbie here, but riding my R100RS down Route66. I was hoping to make it to Springfield to catch some of the rally.

However a problem started, and has stopped me in Cuba MO.

As I stopped to look at my map, and then restarted, the bike would only run at idle...adding throttle killed it. A couple of attempts and leaving it idle, seemed to remedy things and I rode off.

I stoped for lunch about 5 minutes later and left the bike for 45 minutes. On returning the bike would not start. It does start on full choke but runs for about 5 seconds then dies. This can be repeated...start full choke, run 5 seconds, stop. If I close the choke early it dies. It seems to be something affecting both cylinders equally.

I took each bowl off and fuel flowed, stopped when I pushed up on the float. I pulled off both main jets. they were clean. No muck in the bowls.

Put ll this back together and nothing is changed...starts on full choke, then dies after 5 seconds.

Any thoughts?

If I can get it to Springfield, many Airheads might fix this.

Is everthing tight at the sleeves connecting carbs to cyl head It sounds like a bad vacuum leak,thats why it would need more fuel with choke

Did you fill up shortly before the trouble started? I got a bad tank on a trip down to visit my brother in Texas. The bike wouldn't Idle and not rev past 5000. I almost turned around. Each time I filled up again it got a bit better. I think it was in Arkansas that I got a tank of non-ethanol. It almost was cured. I camped in Marion Arkansas shortly after getting that tank. When I started her up to leave in the morning, it was if nothing was ever wrong. Modern machines have knock sensors and other equipment to deal with gas that is of lessor quality. On our older machines with just plain carbs, it can be problematic.

Problem seems to be solved. I drained the gas tank and put in a gallon of fresh non-ethanol fuel. It started right up perfectly.

Somehow this was bad gas. It might well have been diesel although I am pretty sure I used the regular pump as I remember choosing 93 octane...but who knpws.

The good news is it seems fixed.

Thank you.

You might consider adding a treatment of HEET (red bottle) at your next fill, to get rid of any water contamination from the bad gas.

Best,
DeVern

Oh yeah

I was lucky when I got my bad fill up of gas a few weeks ago, I was not on my way to a rally or hundreds of miles from home. Still, even 50 miles from home with a bike that was running fine and then struggled and nearly quit is not one of my favorite things. I made the 50 miles home on alternating cylinders and drained the tank. Fresh gas, and the bike was back to normal

Wha made me so mad was I didn't buy the gas from a tiny run down gas station but from a fairly busy one. Water and goop gets into even the best of stations. LOL, the extra filters don't seem to do much to filter out the blobs of water. St.

Back