• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R18B owners feedback

motor4

Any owner have a top 3 and bottom 3 list related to your R18B ownership? It is a sweet ride to look at though reviews and my gut makes me feel this is another r1200cl model (somewhat). Don't mean any disrespect to current owners, and I did own a r1200clc prior. I did ride the R18 when released though did not like it (maybe due in part to limited rear suspension travel plus limited foot space due to the 'big jugs'.

Ride safe all

Hum, no takers yet. Did ride the bagger today and felt like most reviewers did. Smooth at speed below 3k rpm. Has weight from dead stop for certain and if trying to do a slow turn. Don't know if one can adjust the heal toe shifter, probably not the stock one. Cannot speak to how much heat she will kick off with those big jugs though it was a hot day today but was moving so not stuck in traffic at all.

Did not mess with playing the radio, rock mode, nor cruise control. Figure those work fine and could try them if I do another demo ride. It rides smooth at about 80 almost at 3k in 6th gear...well so I have been told :)

Likes to be keep below 3k for smoothness though 3 to 4k if one wants to kick the speed up is not out of the question vibs wise for short periods of time. Seat is very comfortable though I did not hit many bumps at all (of course better then the original R18 models). Controls seem ok, maybe handelbars are just very so slight a drop higher then I might like.

In a way, too bad it would be hard to get this bike withtout speakers in the bags...sales guy seems to say/think it either comes this way or no radio at all. I like space in side bags :)

Like the white pin strips, old school in my book. Even the extra cost changing blue color sort of looks nice. Certain that would be way too much one figures.

Have a 19 goldwing dct airbag. Guess it is ok but never feel good in that seat honda sells even with the 2nd gen mini bar plate risers. Not a fan of the honda inteface for nav, doubt company they went with and seems it is a bit of a joke though too be honest have not played with it to speak of.

Don't know, the wing is so hightech one cannot even open the saddlebags if battery is dead, as it was today cuase my charger cable came unplugged for a long period of time. Then again guess some of the wing tech is better then bmws.

Did not play with the bmw screen though figure it is nice though read some users have issues with phones discounting from the 'nav' interface.

They will give me a trade-in price later this week I figure. Not betting I would jump ship to get the r18b though it has the bones/looks down patt just not perfect the way of putting the parts together (too much weight, little room to down shift, could see how she could fall over during very low speed tunrs and parking lot stops/starts).

You commented on my YouTube video as well. I wanted to reply here. I have a massive review to post but I need to get it edited and have ran out of time today but I will put it up soon on the blog / newsletter with some photos. Lots of thoughts but nothing bad.

Indeed, you did do a video on youtube. I very much enjoyed it and was kind of you to reply to questions asked. I liked your recording style and thoughts offered on the bike.

I am bit surprised we don't have any R18B owners on the site else none that wish to offer owner experience comments. Maybe a case of others happy with the bike and glad they got it :) thus riding it and no time to post.

Likewise, like most things, ones option might not be the same as others thus maybe with any bike it is up to the rider to find if any given bike ridden its their idea of a sweet ride.

In the case of the R18B it is possible my eyes favor the bike more then my bodies ability to easily handle it. The gift of the heavy front end fairing seems to be a trait carried over from the r1200clc line. Well that plus I am only 5'9" and 210lbs +/- with 30" inseam.

When getting back from the demo ride I did not attempt to do a low speed close turn around and instead simply parked it in a space. Yes, it has reverse and could use that. Impressed with your low speed trun ability skills for certain.

Others, Adam has other videos on his site. One I think about vblooging...maybe a topic he presented at the recent bmw national rally. I have not listend to it yet but plan to.

Not R18 related though do wonder what bmw will do next with the r1250 line. Not certain I can see them jumping the shark and going up to a r18 engine. Simply seems too big for a touring frame r1250rt layout. Do like the new bmw thought on an electric motorcycle via via making it an 'opposed twin' loking layout design. Thinking though we are several years out before we get to buy one of those.

Last edited:
Indeed, you did do a video on youtube. I very much enjoyed it and was kind of you to reply to questions asked. I liked your recording style and thoughts offered on the bike.

I am bit surprised we don't have any R18B owners on the site else none that wish to offer owner experience comments. Maybe a case of others happy with the bike and glad they got it :) thus riding it and no time to post.

Likewise, like most things, ones option might not be the same as others thus maybe with any bike it is up to the rider to find if any given bike ridden its their idea of a sweet ride.

In the case of the R18B it is possible my eyes favor the bike more then my bodies ability to easily handle it. The gift of the heavy front end fairing seems to be a trait carried over from the r1200clc line. Well that plus I am only 5'9" and 210lbs +/- with 30" inseam.

When getting back from the demo ride I did not attempt to do a low speed close turn around and instead simply parked it in a space. Yes, it has reverse and could use that. Impressed with your low speed trun ability skills for certain.

Others, Adam has other videos on his site. One I think about vblooging...maybe a topic he presented at the recent bmw national rally. I have not listend to it yet but plan to.

Not R18 related though do wonder what bmw will do next with the r1250 line. Not certain I can see them jumping the shark and going up to a r18 engine. Simply seems too big for a touring frame r1250rt layout. Do like the new bmw thought on an electric motorcycle via via making it an 'opposed twin' loking layout design. Thinking though we are several years out before we get to buy one of those.

There's a dedicated forum for the R18, same for the K1600 and that's where folks go I would imagine based on the lack of traffic here. https://www.r18forums.com

I haven't ridden a R18, not sure I ever will.

top 3, bottom 3

I've commuted daily on my TC for the past 10 months. im 5'9" 31" inseam, 230lb. (sounds like a dating app)I live in the Seattle area and ride in temps ranging from 28-95 and all weather conditions, with the exception of snow covered roads. The bike handles really well. I've only had 2 real problems with it. One was an overheating when I first got it. It was probably my riding style that led to the overheating. The second problem was solved by the dealership. On a rainy day, the bike just quit working. It left me stranded on the side of the highway, in the rain, until I was rescued. Water had worked its way into the starter button housing and caused a short. Easy fix for them but they had to take a housing off a new bike because there was only 1 spare in the entire US and it was on the other side of the country. Since then, I've had zero problems that were of any concern. Most people dislike the inability to stretch their legs out. With the TC, I can just put my feet on the engine guards. My legs don't get hot but its not as comfortable or convenient as a good set of hwy pegs.

- looks of the bike. I have the TC first edition w/pin stripes.
- power when I need it. I cant stress enough that this is not like any other BMW bike. It may have the same riding position as a GA but its a completely different bike. you cant ride it like a K1600.
- The low center of gravity and low seat height is great for riding one up and lower speeds.

Dislikes
- The stock seat needs something. anything more than an hour in the saddle and im ready to walk around.
- The drive modes are not needed or they need a tweak. I only use the Rock mode. Roll is gutless and Rain is even more so.
- (more of a bmw fault, not the bike) I wish the bike had apple/android car play. They could have saved a lot of programming time if they had gone that route.

I've now converted mine into a Trans Continental...kind of:

OLD:
52122795136_d24184fe10_b.jpg

NEW:
52241540028_e287fb2e82_b.jpg

Try rain mode. A user on the r18forums said it extended the no vib speed to 76 vs say 70 in other modes

R18B for me?

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these beasts. I'm a bit worried about the weight. I found my K1600GTL too heavy. I sold it to my dealer prior to hiking the Appalachian Trail end-to-end, which I just finished. Time to get a new bike. I ride with a club in the region but rarely on long trips. I think the R18B would be just the ticket and make a nice impression among the majority Harleys in the club. Going to test ride one within the week. It would be the blackout model, as that's what's in stock (after it's assembled). Comments?

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these beasts. I'm a bit worried about the weight. I found my K1600GTL too heavy. I sold it to my dealer prior to hiking the Appalachian Trail end-to-end, which I just finished. Time to get a new bike. I ride with a club in the region but rarely on long trips. I think the R18B would be just the ticket and make a nice impression among the majority Harleys in the club. Going to test ride one within the week. It would be the blackout model, as that's what's in stock (after it's assembled). Comments?

If you can hike the Appalachian trail end to end, you can handle any bike.

Comparison

0F8EF7F7-9AA8-4D7C-82E1-B3EFEFCD9E96.jpg
Any owner have a top 3 and bottom 3 list related to your R18B ownership? It is a sweet ride to look at though reviews and my gut makes me feel this is another r1200cl model (somewhat). Don't mean any disrespect to current owners, and I did own a r1200clc prior. I did ride the R18 when released though did not like it (maybe due in part to limited rear suspension travel plus limited foot space due to the 'big jugs'.

Ride safe all

I also had the notoriously underpowered CLC and now own the Transcontinental and can tell you there is no similarity at all. This bike is equal to or better than any other large displacement motorcycle. I have owned all the modern Indians and a 2018 Goldwing but prefer the Transcontinental over all of them. At speed the bike is rock steady.

Last edited:
My top and bottom 3 for my R18 TC

86D76029-C9B8-4E3B-9997-A8C244FE6E85.jpgTop:
1.Two up capability. I have other bikes so this was the number one reason for purchasing. Could not beat the value with the recent rebate and financing.
2. Looks. I love the giant boxer engine, the exposed driveshaft, and the dash.
3. Comfort. I just did a 2800 mile trip and found the bike quite comfortable. I have the comfort seat.

Bottom:
1. I am almost looking through the edge of the windshield. I will probably go two inches one way or the other.
2. The phone interface works great but is a little annoying to reconnect when you want to grab your phone for a pic or to send a text.
3. 6k mile valve check intervals!! :mad

Take a look at the dedicated forum for the R18 series: https://www.r18forums.com

Adam is a frequent contributor there as well and there are more members with the R18B on that site.

I do own an R18 Classic & test rode the R18 Pure, R18 Classic & R18B before I bought my bike. I found the R18B was easier in parking lot speeds due to the increased rake of the front fork. This also helps a bit with the added weight of the fairing to minimize the impact. The adaptive cruise control was interesting as well & if I rode on highways regularly, I could see it being compelling.

The seat height of all the R18 models is fairly low though, so it should be easier for shorter riders. I'm 6'4", so I'm usually the opposite end of the problem on bikes. The B has the advantage that the stock seat is wider and thus more supportive than the stock on the Pure & Classic. I had to replace my seat with the Weekender, otherwise it's a 45 minute bike.

The motor of the R18 series is phenomenal & never falls short of putting a smile on my face. This is my 5th boxer motor BMW and the character of the R18 is such that it is still a boxer, but it has a different feel, with more low end torque than a typical one. The B is pushing more weight (about 70lbs more than the Classic), so it does feel slightly less urgent when you roll on the throttle.

Whether you choose an R18B or one of the other models, the engine will be the thing to put a smile on your face. Although I tried the R18B, I bought a Classic as I prefer the look as being more of a throwback to the original R5. I also like that I can take the windscreen off for summer to get better airflow. My biggest gripe with my GSA is the big fairing and screen can make it very hot in summer, but great in cooler temperatures.

Good luck!

BMW demo rides are on the schedule for BBB in Fayetteville Ar. If I can find them I will attempt to get a ride on the R1800. Really want a ride on the R1250GSA
And the HD grand America. Then I will ride my 2009 GS on the same route to decide if it is worth all the $$$
I DO plan to berate them for not bring the demo to the MOA rally but coming here when they let the local dealer go out of business. No AR dealers.

I will post my impressions.

Rod

BMW demo rides are on the schedule for BBB in Fayetteville Ar. If I can find them I will attempt to get a ride on the R1800. Really want a ride on the R1250GSA
And the HD grand America. Then I will ride my 2009 GS on the same route to decide if it is worth all the $$$
I DO plan to berate them for not bring the demo to the MOA rally but coming here when they let the local dealer go out of business. No AR dealers.

I will post my impressions.

Rod

There is no R18 in my future. Maybe got off to the wrong start, right after I left the parking lot had to stop on rough road for fire truck and barked my shin pretty hard on the cylinder. But I do not like it. It does everything well, just NOT my cup of tea.

The R1250GSA Oh my, want want want.

It turns out they have over 200 bikes in the demo fleet. And several teams. They could have done the rally. I am betting that no one asked the right person.

The HD panamerica has taken 1/2 BMW GS sales, so look for some advancements from BMW.

I rode both back to back and in my mind the GS is still the winner but it is what I am used to. The PA is good.

Rod

There is no R18 in my future. Maybe got off to the wrong start, right after I left the parking lot had to stop on rough road for fire truck and barked my shin pretty hard on the cylinder. But I do not like it. It does everything well, just NOT my cup of tea.

The R1250GSA Oh my, want want want.

It turns out they have over 200 bikes in the demo fleet. And several teams. They could have done the rally. I am betting that no one asked the right person.

The HD panamerica has taken 1/2 BMW GS sales, so look for some advancements from BMW.

I rode both back to back and in my mind the GS is still the winner but it is what I am used to. The PA is good.

Rod

I test rode the PA and I didn't bond with it. The engine has the beans, but it's not as refined as a BMW. Wind protection sucked and it was tight for me in the legs. I asked if they were going to have a peg lowering kit and they looked at me like why? I think it was made for those shorter in inseam and height with the lowering suspension, which is a more typical HD rider. Another thing is the factory bags look like kids toys. If it was between a GSA and a PA, GSA hands down.

Never tried the R18 and not sure I ever will. The older I get, the more picky I have become.

View attachment 89083

I also had the notoriously underpowered CLC and now own the Transcontinental and can tell you there is no similarity at all. This bike is equal to or better than any other large displacement motorcycle. I have owned all the modern Indians and a 2018 Goldwing but prefer the Transcontinental over all of them. At speed the bike is rock steady.

What kind of seat is that?

Back