• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R50/2 Service Manual Recommendations

wdjsinger

I'm new to these bikes and just purchased a R50/2 (probably a 1963 build), and I'm looking for the best service manual to help maintain the bike. At this point, good basic guidance on basic maintenance is most important to me, such as correct fluid types and levels and general mechanical adjustments. I've seen several manuals on the market but would love input from those with experience. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Would love to see a picture when you get a chance.

I would offer three different things. First Benchmark Works offers reprints of owners manuals that I remember. They were the go-to for vintage support. Check out the website. They were bought out by MaxBMW recently, but all their inventory is there so worth a check of the website, too. As far as a bit more maintenance, consider the Haynes or Clymer which are somewhat useful but I suspect have some errors. The "big book" for heavy maintenance is put out by Barrington Motor Works. Google that. They have a very large and detailed book on the /2 era.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

I'm new to these bikes and just purchased a R50/2 (probably a 1963 build), and I'm looking for the best service manual to help maintain the bike. At this point, good basic guidance on basic maintenance is most important to me, such as correct fluid types and levels and general mechanical adjustments. I've seen several manuals on the market but would love input from those with experience. Thanks.

You might try getting the factory manuals through a dealer, I'm not sure if they are still available that way but worth a shot. I have 2 versions of them, one in 4 languages and one in English only. I can't find a part number on the English only one however. Both are excellent. But maybe the dealer can run the part number I supplied and get what you need. Not sure of costs, worth every penny no matter what.

Part Number: 90 99 176 1.2 iii/65

I also have the factory owner's manual which is excellent and pretty much covers everything a DIY guy would do on the bike. I can't find a part number for it either.

I am very well connected in the BMW car world, so let me know if I can help you if you strike out.

Back