• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

PackTalk Edge Review & Sena 50S

jsd

I recently returned a set of the PackTalk Bold's due to multiple issues and saw the new PackTack Edge had come out. Upon reading the manual and limited reviews online I decided to give them a try.

- Volume boost is fantastic. This allows for clear sound when wearing earplugs. I would say a good 30% boost in volume.
- They claim updated Mic and Speakers from the Bold's I could not find any difference at all. However there are new audio profiles in the app.
- Intercom calls in DMC remain muffled and not quite clear (I am comparing this to the Sena 50S) The intercom part of this system sound just like my old Sena SMH10's where I had to repeatedly ask "whats was that".
- Music sounds fantastic, the new audio profiles work great and have great sound at volumes that can overcome earplugs.
- The Bad:
Sharing music still does not work :banghead. The Bold's I returned would skip and stutter, these do not do that. Music is clear and can be heard very well however the intercom function does not work while sharing music. Music also cannot not be started while intercom is open unless one of the Mics is muted. Page 28 of the manual clearly states that this is the case if in Bluetooth mode but sharing and conversing at the same time should work in DMC mode. It does not, regardless of settings, I tried all sensitivities noise cancelling, volumes, resetting and updating. I assume Cardo will fix this once more people complain.

I would have kept these and waited for Cardo to come out with an update (I did send in a support ticket but have not heard back as of yet) however the intercom is just not clear enough to justify the high cost. If riding alone these are great, nice for music and GPS instructions but if using to communicate they are just not clear enough to support the high price.

The magnetic mount is a nice gimmick but adds weight and thickness that is just ridiculous, this unit would stick out 1/2 as much without the silly magnet. I am not too lazy to snap the intercom in place.

I wanted to try these over the Sena because of the nice form factor, being able to pair with fellow riders that use Pack Talk Freecom's and being waterproof however the reason I am in the market for new intercoms is I want to be able to have an open mic with passenger and listen to music at the same time which these do not accomplish. Although the Sena 50S (cant get the 50R right now) does this pretty well they are not water proof and for some odd reason if I speak while GPS is active my voice volume is doubled for the passenger. There is a long connection time for the GPS, even when its done speaking there is still several seconds where it is still connected and volume is doubled before it disconnects and everything returns to normal. Because of that I cannot have the GPS connected to the Sena while riding with a passenger, ridiculous they cannot get these things right before releasing products. Sena also does not return support tickets. Its been two weeks and three contacts without a response. Cardo at least responds even if they don't help. Looks like I will be returning the Sena's as well and go back to my old units that although limited did what they advertised they could do.

My PTB's work perfectly to communicate with other riders, all while listening to my music.

Sounds to me as if you're trying to get shared music to work and communicate at the same time. If that's a problem, the easiest solution is to let your passenger listen to their own damned music. When I take a passenger, they get a helmet that connects to mine and their own mp3 or they can pare their phone and listen to their music that way.

Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and use a workaround like the above mentioned. I've got NO issues with Cardo PTB's at all. They do what I need them to do, and I'd never share my music with someone else, because I change songs often if something comes on I don't like and that would drive a passenger nuts, I don't need to listen to the whine.

I called sena yesterday with a problem.
Woman acted like she didn't even know what a comm unit was.
Her only suggestion was a factory reset.

I have Packtalk Bold. We tried to share music and bought a Bluetooth transmitter that has two outputs and wired it to my RT's radio. It works great. Also pleased with the intercom, although voice activation would be a bit better.

I connect mine to the Bluetooth transmitter and my phone. My wife has hers connected the same, but to her phone.

Obviously i could connect to any other Bluetooth other than my phone, a GPS perhaps, but I don't feel the need to listen to my GPS.

I have Packtalk Bold. We tried to share music and bought a Bluetooth transmitter that has two outputs and wired it to my RT's radio. It works great. Also pleased with the intercom, although voice activation would be a bit better.

I connect mine to the Bluetooth transmitter and my phone. My wife has hers connected the same, but to her phone.

Obviously i could connect to any other Bluetooth other than my phone, a GPS perhaps, but I don't feel the need to listen to my GPS.

I don't want to listen to the Garmin either, just a glance once in awhile is fine

I called sena yesterday with a problem.
Woman acted like she didn't even know what a comm unit was.
Her only suggestion was a factory reset.

I am amazed you got thru. I returned the Sena 50S Units yesterday, Clerk didn't batt an eye when I explained that I was returning them so I wouldn't miss the 30 day window while Sena Ignored my help desk ticket :scratch. I am sure both Sena and Cardo will sort out these issues as they use purchasers to Beta test but the cost is just too high to take the chance. I'll go back to my faithful SMH10's until these folks get they respective **** together.

Its unbelievable to me that Cardo is posting videos and manuals stating that these things will share music while having intercom open when they don't :bluduh. Nice work around, however you must not be able to have intercom and music at the same time do you? I would prefer to have the channel open without pushing any buttons or using VOX otherwise I will just keep using what I had.

Finally heard back from Sena Tech suppport

So after three weeks Sena finally emailed me a response "Did you pair the GPS as a GPS per the instructions". When I inquired about the issue I wrote that I had paired it as a GPS and when that failed to work properly I tried pairing it as a phone, both with the same results. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead Seems not only did they not answer my question they never even read my complete inquiry. I have of course returned the units already as the 30 day return window was almost over.
I hope others have a better experience.

Its unbelievable to me that Cardo is posting videos and manuals stating that these things will share music while having intercom open when they don't :bluduh. Nice work around, however you must not be able to have intercom and music at the same time do you? I would prefer to have the channel open without pushing any buttons or using VOX otherwise I will just keep using what I had.

The Palktalks will share music, but only in DMC mode, IIRC. It has been a couple years so a bit foggy. I remember it was a royal pain to get them to do what I wanted, and the way I understood the sales literature they would. Palktalk advertises all the things they will do, but not necessarily at the same time!

The intercom is open all the time while the music is playing, no VOX. I would prefer VOX instead of having the mic open all the time, but not a deal killer. It did take some getting accustomed to the settings for volume as I can crank up the music volume on the motorcycle controls and blast my ear drums out if I want! With my wife listening to music from the same source I had to find a volume level we both were happy with.

The literature also advertises that you can set up "groups" and enter and leave a group easily. We thought we could use this while riding with another couple, but again it didn't work out as planned. We ride with this couple quite often and we just call each other with our cell phones while riding. The only down side is the cell phone can only connect to one headset at a time so the passenger will not hear the conversation.

Connectivity With TFT/Nav VI?

I am considering upgrading from a Sena 20s to either the PacTalk Edge or the 50S to go with a new R1250 GSA. Can anyone advise on their experiences pairing the devices up to the TFT and Nav VI and maintaining connectivity? Thanks!

Reading all the threads about this I am torn between "it isn't ready for prime time" and "the stuff is junk". I am thinking I am plausibly wrong, but if anybody actually has made this all work I would like to hear about it.

Back