• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'87 K75S - headlight and dash harness routing

evillerich

As part of my ongoing restoration project of my '87 K75S, I'm turning my attention to electrics. I'm going to add an Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness. And probably install a spare EB 3-circuit solution I already have to power the heated grips and maybe a power outlet.

I knew the headlight wiring needed a look - the high beam never worked. Found out why yesterday - the white wire had corroded off the H4 plug. No biggie, I'll deal with that. A previous owner had tied everything up in electrical tape for protection, which hid the broken wire.

What I'm not sure about is the running of the larger wiring harness - this harness feeds the headlights and dash panel. I do not think it's routed correctly. A previous owner attached it to the lower triple with a zip tie. I'm trying to figure out how it should be routed and protected. This harness has a ~2 inch rubber grommet on it, with no obvious place it should go.

Any info on how this harness is supposed to be routed and secured would be great. I can certainly improve on how it is now, but I'd like to get it "the way it should be" if possible.

Thank you,
Eville Rich
'87 K75S

Eville,

The forward wiring harness (headlight, front turn signals, horn, and instrument cluster) attaches by that rubber grommet, that has one flat side, to the back side of the fairing main mounting bracket COVER. That is the black (VERY early ones were painted body color) cover that bolts to the headstock, goes forward to the bottom of the instrument cluster, and hangs down about 4” from the right and left fairing halves and surrounds the forks. It finishes off the area around the upper forks.

There is a flat pad, on the backside of the cover, with one hole in it, at the forward left side just to the rear of where it necks down from the instrument cluster and starts to widen back out. This pad is only accessible with the left fairing half removed. Place the flat of the harness grommet on the flat of the pad, Run a wire tie through the hole in the pad, behind the pad, back around the grommet in the grove in the grommet and tighten. From there, all the wires in the harness run straight to their corresponding destinations. Going towards the rear of the bike from that pad, the harness follows the backside of the cover back to where it enters the frame to the left of the headstock.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I was going to include photos, but am having computer issues.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
That's the definitely the grommet and wire loom I'm referring to. I'm going to need to dive in and see if I can identify the hole you are talking about. My left fairing is off and I've wired in a new H4 plug, which will serve as the relay signal. Now I have to sit on my hands and wait for Eastern Beaver to ship the relay kit. So figuring this out will keep me occupied for a bit.

If you have a chance to post pics, that would be great. I'm not confident that I have this cover on the bike, which would explain the cable tie method. I'm seeing a mix of stuff from parts catalogs that aren't terribly clear.

Thank you,
Eville Rich
'87 K75S

Eville,

The pad is on the back side of this black trim panel at this location:

00C88E18-8557-48AB-AC91-622EE06CBDA1.jpg

This is the pad:

35B11D37-BE43-4FE2-9033-6244709E500D.jpg

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks for the pics! The good news is that the part is on the bike. On Max BMW, the part number is 46 63 1 456 139.

I think I understand how this all connects. Thank you for the help. My cover has a small stress fracture in it, near where it joins up with the dash surround area. No terrible, but it does flex enough so that the end near the tank will contact the tank (I added a rubber bumper to that area). So maybe that is why it was zip tied to the lower triple. But I'll see how it all feels coming together.

Eville Rich
'87 K75S

Back