• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Akron and Indy area Boxflyer WetHead/ShiftHead Tech Days

Boxflyer

What:
WetHead/ShiftHead 12k Service Demonstration Tech Days

How Much – Admission:
FREE! PLEASE Reply to this thread if you plan to attend and at which location.
We need a firm head count for lunch portions.

When:
Saturday, July 23, 2022 – Akron, OH area
Sunday, July 24, 2022 – Indianapolis, IN area

Where:
Akron, OH. Area – 7/23
Pilz Machine
5091 Massillon Rd.
North Canton, OH 44720

Indianapolis, IN. area – 7/24
Fishers, IN 46037
PM Boxflyer for address

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/member.php?47645-Boxflyer

Schedule:
0800-0830 Opening introduction / coffee / donuts – Show and Tell
0830-1100 12k Service to include body panel removal for air filter replacement – SpeedBleeder brake bleeder install and complete brake service – Cam Timing Check and Valve Clearance Check.
1100-1130 Lunch: (--Donation for lunch appreciated--)
Akron: Pulled pork, baked beans, potato salad
Indy: Bratwurst and fixin's
1130-1600 Final Drive/Spline Lube, Continuation of 12k service with GS-911 Reset of Adaptation Values and Service Interval Light on Display.

Notes:
--No Rain Date-- Event takes place rain or shine
If raining, inside parking for about 10 bikes at the Saturday event only. Car parking available

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools Available for Purchase on site. (limited numbers available)

Various FREE handouts available to include:
--WetHead/ShiftHead Cam Timing/Valve Clearance Worksheet
--WetHead/ShiftHead Torque List
--WetHead/ShiftHead Accessories / Parts / Service Spreadsheet
--Boxflyer Boards Print outs for foam core board mounting on your own board
--Tool Kit carried on RT bike Spreadsheet

PLEASE-- reply here if you plan on attending, and at which location, so we can have an accurate head count for food/drink at morning wake-up snack and lunch.

Thank you!
I'll have some files and worksheets to hand out as well as I'm bringing pulled pork for lunch!

Please PM your name and total number attending to me.

Boxflyer
Brad

Brad, sounds like a great day, thanks for doing this. Having a '21 shift cam I'm very interested in learning how to maintain valves etc, hopefully you will repeat this in the future and I would very much like to attend.

I noticed in your itinerary you mention "resetting the adaptive values", is that a requirement per BMW service data or something you just do as a matter of course? I would not have thought that a valve clearance check would warrant resetting of these values, curious is all.

@jandhumphreyme
It's less than a half day ride from Maine to Rhode Island and we can do a Tech Day on YOUR bike.

I agree with you that adjusting the valves does not constitute enough of a major change for the ECU to handle, but sometimes changing the position of the Cam Timing Input can cause the bike to need extra time to balance out stored values, for the current state of tune.

This part of the Tech Day is more to expose folks to some of the deeper less used menus in the GS-911's software.
I do all these Adaptive Value Resets at almost every 12k service on my own bike and really only see any difference with the Transmission Reset. I think this is because it's mounted externally and is exposed to more wear and tear that allows small changes in the relative positions of the linkages. Resetting Mixture, Twistgrip, and Throttle position don't seem to have the same noticeable improvement that I sometimes feel with the Transmission Value Reset.

Hope we get to ride or wrench together sometime, and thanks for pointing out what someone may have misconstrued as a normal procedure, is really just a teaching point on my part.

Brad

7/23 Tech Demo Day

What:
WetHead/ShiftHead 12k Service Demonstration Tech Days

How Much – Admission:
FREE! PLEASE Reply to this thread if you plan to attend and at which location.
We need a firm head count for lunch portions.

When:
Saturday, July 23, 2022 – Akron, OH area
Sunday, July 24, 2022 – Indianapolis, IN area

Where:
Akron, OH. Area – 7/23
Pilz Machine
5091 Massillon Rd.
North Canton, OH 44720

Indianapolis, IN. area – 7/24
Fishers, IN 46037
PM Boxflyer for address

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/member.php?47645-Boxflyer

Schedule:
0800-0830 Opening introduction / coffee / donuts – Show and Tell
0830-1100 12k Service to include body panel removal for air filter replacement – SpeedBleeder brake bleeder install and complete brake service – Cam Timing Check and Valve Clearance Check.
1130-1600 Final Drive/Spline Lube, Continuation of 12k service with GS-911 Reset of Adaptation Values and Service Interval Light on Display.

Notes:
--No Rain Date-- Event takes place rain or shine
If raining, inside parking for about 10 bikes at the Saturday event only. Car parking available

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools Available for Purchase on site. (limited numbers available)

Various FREE handouts available to include:
--WetHead/ShiftHead Cam Timing/Valve Clearance Worksheet
--WetHead/ShiftHead Torque List
--WetHead/ShiftHead Accessories / Parts / Service Spreadsheet
--Boxflyer Boards Print outs for foam core board mounting on your own board
--Tool Kit carried on RT bike Spreadsheet

PLEASE-- reply here if you plan on attending, and at which location, so we can have an accurate head count for food/drink at morning wake-up snack and lunch.

I would love to attend this event in Akron if there are still spaces available! Please advise. Thanks. Larry.

Hi Larry,
Yes there is no problem with space or number of attendees.

PM me if you don't want to put your name here, and confirm how many will attend with you, for lunch head count.

Brad Smith
Boxflyer

@jandhumphreyme
It's less than a half day ride from Maine to Rhode Island and we can do a Tech Day on YOUR bike.

I agree with you that adjusting the valves does not constitute enough of a major change for the ECU to handle, but sometimes changing the position of the Cam Timing Input can cause the bike to need extra time to balance out stored values, for the current state of tune.

This part of the Tech Day is more to expose folks to some of the deeper less used menus in the GS-911's software.
I do all these Adaptive Value Resets at almost every 12k service on my own bike and really only see any difference with the Transmission Reset. I think this is because it's mounted externally and is exposed to more wear and tear that allows small changes in the relative positions of the linkages. Resetting Mixture, Twistgrip, and Throttle position don't seem to have the same noticeable improvement that I sometimes feel with the Transmission Value Reset.

Hope we get to ride or wrench together sometime, and thanks for pointing out what someone may have misconstrued as a normal procedure, is really just a teaching point on my part.

Brad

Brad,
That's a very generous offer, thank you. I'm about 1k away from the 12k milestone on my '21 RT I'll keep in touch with you and see if we can work something out.

Jerry

Boxflyer - Thanks so much for your selfless effort and the time and expense you put into these tech days and to helping fellow Water-Cooler riders! :bow

Here is the UPDATED/REVISED Schedule

It now features BOTH a 1250 and 1200 Cam and Valve Service at the Indy TechDay Event.

Schedule :

0800-0830

Opening introduction / coffee / donuts – Show and Tell

0830-1100

12k Service to include body panel removal for air filter replacement –
SpeedBleeder brake bleeder install and complete brake service –
Final Drive service/Spline Lube

1130 - 1300 (Akron, Oh Location)

1200 Cam Timing Check and Valve Clearance Check

BONUS - Both 1200 & 1250 at Indy location.

1130-1300 ** Indy Location only**

1250 Cam Timing Check and Valve Clearance Check

1300-1400 ** Indy Location Only**

1200 Cam Timing Check and Valve Clearance Check

1400-1500

Continuation of 12k service with GS-911 Reset of adaptation Values and Service Interval Light on Display.

Please PM me here on this Forum with your interest in attending either event so I can make sure there is enough food for lunch.
Brad

Well attendees , those of us unable to attend would like some feedback . like your Dr. on a scale off 1-10,,,, let us know with comments.

Well attendees , those of us unable to attend would like some feedback . like your Dr. on a scale off 1-10,,,, let us know with comments.

Soooo much to take in. Boxflyer did an excellent presentation on how to maintain these wetheads.

and of course, what would a gathering be without food?

Akron event
20220723_115117.jpg20220723_115403.jpg20220723_081503.jpg

Back