• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet speakers

ccolwell

I got a Cardo Packtalk Black recently. The unit is fine but the speakers press on my ears. Can anyone suggest thinner speakers? I'm not worried about sound quality for music; I'm only using them for communication.

I tried a set of earphones but they let too much road/air/machine noise in. I'm used to good quality earplugs (and I can hear the Cardo system clearly with those in).

I am surprised you didn't like ear buds. I have been using custom molded ear buds for years, but I have a set from Best Buy I like too. They block most of the road noise so I can listen to music at a low volume setting.

Last edited:
Replace with thinner speakers or try moving the speakers a little in the "pocket" created for such on the helmet.

Thanks for the replies. I have an Arai Signet X, it doesn't look like anything can be removed.

I have the JBL speakers that came with the Cardo. Does anybody know of speakers that are thinner?

The earbuds I tried are 'the Splug' recommended by a friend.

I got a Cardo Packtalk Black recently. The unit is fine but the speakers press on my ears. Can anyone suggest thinner speakers? I'm not worried about sound quality for music; I'm only using them for communication.

I tried a set of earphones but they let too much road/air/machine noise in. I'm used to good quality earplugs (and I can hear the Cardo system clearly with those in).

The Black I believe comes with the JBL 45MM speakers which are bigger than all the other Cardo 40mm standard, not sure if they are thicker though but I would assume so. The New Packtalk Edge has updated 40mm but they are not selling them separately or posting thickness. But if your in the 30 day window you may want to return and see if the better (supposedly) Edge fits better.
The Sena 50S with the Harmon speakers are thinner and dished out a little which are defiantly thinner but I don't think they are selling them separately yet either. I could feel quite a difference in ear pain (lacking) from ear plugs after riding for a few hours with the new Sena 50S. The speakers are matched to the software so you will lose a lot of sound quality if just changing the speakers alone.

The Black I believe comes with the JBL 45MM speakers which are bigger than all the other Cardo 40mm standard, not sure if they are thicker though but I would assume so. The New Packtalk Edge has updated 40mm but they are not selling them separately or posting thickness. But if your in the 30 day window you may want to return and see if the better (supposedly) Edge fits better.
The Sena 50S with the Harmon speakers are thinner and dished out a little which are defiantly thinner but I don't think they are selling them separately yet either. I could feel quite a difference in ear pain (lacking) from ear plugs after riding for a few hours with the new Sena 50S. The speakers are matched to the software so you will lose a lot of sound quality if just changing the speakers alone.

Thank you, very helpful.

I'm not so sure about the "updated" Edge speakers. I could not detect any physical appearance or size differences between the Bold and Edge speakers and mic. So much so that when we upgraded from the Bold to the Edge, we carried on using the Bold speakers and mic that were already in each of our helmets. The Bold speakers/mic when used with the Edge result in a significant sound quality improvement over that of the Bold.

speaker swap

Hi
I read with great interest the trouble you have with the speakers being to thick and bothering your ears.
If you determine that the standard Cradio speakers are thinner, and the plugs are the same, I have a new set from my purchase of a double system which I will trade you if you wish. The set was purchased last year.
Thanks,
Brian

Update: I found a set of Cardo 32 mm speakers which fit much better. That said, the moral of the story is "see if they work better on your other helmet." In this case my Shoei RF120 has large pockets with removable foam for speakers. The 32 mm are still more comfortable than the 45 mm ones even in the Shoei.

Again, thanks to all.

Update: I found a set of Cardo 32 mm speakers which fit much better. That said, the moral of the story is "see if they work better on your other helmet." In this case my Shoei RF120 has large pockets with removable foam for speakers. The 32 mm are still more comfortable than the 45 mm ones even in the Shoei.

Again, thanks to all.

Are you interested in selling the JBL speakers?

Back