• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250RT Crash Engine Bar Advice

gregu

I have a 2020 R1250RT. There are some options out there for Valve Cover Guards (plastic & metal). As for front crash bars, I have company replies saying the fairings impede bar installation so these are the items I find that list for the 2020 RT: Wunderlich front $520; Ilium front $445; Z-Technik front $500; Givi front $220; RG Racing front $316. Reviews on bmwmoa are mostly around the pre-2019 RT models but suspect the first 3 manufacturers are solid protection items. Any feedback on the 5 selections is appreciated. Greg

I have the Z-Technik on my 2016 RT and could not be happier. They look pretty nice, they don't get in the way for maintainence and they have a small mounting hole on the top-outside corner of each side that works great for running light mounts. I feel that many of the others really detract from the appearance of the bike, the Z-Techniks are pretty unobtrusive.

YMMV,
Ski

One of the brands listed conflict with the OEM fog lights so you need to buy those if wanted and remove the OEM's. On a 2016 the supplied bolts galled and also also did not clear the flex coolant hose and eventually caused a drip to develop. After those experiences I am going with the cylinder guards and rear protection bars on my 2020 .

ILIUM Install

I just installed the ILIUM Engine and Pannier protection on my 2020 RT1250 and am very happy with the look and ease of installation.

Attachments

• F72E3CC1-AA90-4A2B-9DB2-6B40BC7143F4.jpg
    F72E3CC1-AA90-4A2B-9DB2-6B40BC7143F4.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 214
I just installed the ILIUM Engine and Pannier protection on my 2020 RT1250 and am very happy with the look and ease of installation.
NICE! It is a significant new design allowing one to retain the stock BMW driving light brackets: https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=36-200BL&pID=173 . I installed an older version and had to buy new light brackets that mounted to the crash bars, oops, engine guards; couldn't retain the BMW brackets.

Great Customer Service from ILIUM

NICE! It is a significant new design allowing one to retain the stock BMW driving light brackets: https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=36-200BL&pID=173 . I installed an older version and had to buy new light brackets that mounted to the crash bars, oops, engine guards; couldn't retain the BMW brackets.

Yeah, I watched the video on their website on how to remove the bodywork to do the install and it mentioned the need for those extra brackets to mount the driving lights, so I ordered them. Ron Hufford, from ILIUM, emailed me and informed that they were no longer required and cancelled my redundant order. He said he would update the video to eliminate any confusion.

Ilium follow-up

Thanks Gents. Yes I went forward with the Ilium engine and pannier guards. The stock aux. light brackets transfer to the new bars for my 2020. Installation went right along the lines of the video. The right side engine guard was soooo tight and the lower engine bolt was not going to go in without galling. I basically undid everything, installed the lower right bolt 1st, then right side, then left side. Bottom line, it all went together and looks fine. (even though I'm not a crash bar guy but understand they will work if it does tip over)

Ilium Works front and rear crash bars installed

Fellow RTers:

I just installed the Ilium Works engine and pannier crash bars in matte black on my 2021 RT Sport and the installation was as advertised. I had no problem with the fit and finish of the bars, front or rear. The installation videos were very helpful but need to be updated to include the '21 and '22 model years to avoid some confusion as to applicability of the auxiliary light process. My advice is to be very careful removing the right side knee cover where one of the attachment points is just above the right engine cover. I inadvertently scratched mine when removing it and didn't notice it until replacing it after the installation. Also, make sure your auxiliary light brackets are the same height off the ground when you reassemble because if you don't get them right and reassemble the body work, you'll have to remove the panels again in order to fix it. I reassembled the right side body panels first and fortunately, I noticed a marked difference between the height of the left and right brackets just before I reassembled the left side panels and due to the fact there is a certain amount of play at the bracket mounting point, I was able to adjust the left one and re-torque it before it was too late. This potential problem needs to be mentioned in the new video when they record it. Although the result is not perfect, they are close enough to be acceptable. There is no play in the right side bracket, so I got lucky because to r and r the right side knee cover again would have been a huge pain in the ass due to the fact that the engine spoiler and the fairing panel have to be removed before you can remove the knee cover. I just hope and pray that my crash bars are never needed! I hope this helps anyone considering the Ilium Works crash bars.

Ciao

Ilium Works front and rear crash bars installed

Hi all, new member here, I had the Ilium bars installed as well on my 1250RT 2021, had to adjust the fog lights on the front bars and added highway pegs all in matte black, very happy with the look.....Ron was great and very helpful. Highly recommend them.

WUnderlich's on a 2022 R1250RT:

Looks great & good fit- just keep in mind the following:

Certainly you would want to leave them loose until all bolts are threaded

The Tupperware must come off- including the fairings. This warrants extreme caution, obviously. The right side was easy- the left side was NOT. There's a GNARLY piece of heavy duty velcro under the left side. Presumably because there are is no access to fluids, etc over there. Keep track of everything carefully. Most Tupperware fasteners are the same BUT NOT ALL..

The OEM foglight do need to be relocated a bit. Bracket is included. I did not find this to be any real trouble, though. They end up being a little bit lower and wider. It's fine.

Rear bag bars- do not interfere with pillion at all (at least not my wife) But the video shows the installer kinda forcing a bolt under some pretty plastic bit.. Um... I just took mine off for that bolt. I was not interested in prying that thing out of the way with the force it seemed to require..

Last edited:
Back