• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

10W60 Liqui Moly oil for R1200RT

Fiordmann

Is 10W60 Liqui Moly synthetic ok to use in R1200RT? By reviews I've read it is a quality oil. Thanks for any input!

Is 10W60 Liqui Moly synthetic ok to use in R1200RT? By reviews I've read it is a quality oil. Thanks for any input!

Depends

It is NOT the recommended viscosity. so you really should not use it. but if you have to, then

what year and where do you live. If it is a air oil cooled and you live in Arizona or similar climate if would probably be ok.

If a liquid cooled then no way.

Rod

Thanks for input Rod. I live in South Florida bike is R1200RT/2011. Thinking the 10W60 would provide better heat protection. I have Amsoil 20W50 in it now put in June 2021 but only 2K on the oil.

Are you having problems because you're using the recommended 20W-50? Many folks have done multiple hundreds of thousands of miles using recommended oil grades so I have to think the answer to your question is....keep using what you're using now.

You should ask yourself who wrote the reviews. Were they written by customers who used it a couple of times and provided purely anecdotal information, or people who have a vested interest in the product such as professional race teams that get it for free, or a professional research lab that has tested the oil a variety of scientific ways? I don't doubt that Liquid Moly makes quality oils but there are many quality oils on the market. In fact, it would be difficult to find an oil that meets the manufacturer's specifications for viscosity as well as API and JASO ratings that is a "bad" oil. The table in your owner's manual that provides information on the correct viscosity of oil for a variety temperature ranges will tell you what to use in South Florida. That is the oil I think you should use.

Good for you.
Really I don't see Moly Oil any better than Amsoil, both are premium oils. I think I remember both saying they extend the manufactures oil change intervals.
Not to turn this into an oil debate, I like to try to change my bikes on 3,000 and go by the proper oils rating/viscosity. I have gone 6,000 on some of my longer trips.

Sounds like you are trying to fix a deficiency without any evidence that it actually exists. Use the recommended spec, change it at the recommended interval. If you still have questions, get the facts and have the used oil tested and adjust accordingly. I expect you will find that the recommendations are correct and that the oil change interval can even be safely extended. Changing the oil in a modern engine at 2000 or 3000 miles is a waste of money and resources.

wider viscosity specification oils in general lose viscosity faster.

15W50 works just fine. It meets the specification. You will never wear out that motor.

Why change early.

Re the interval I have 2009 1200GS and when I rode to Great Falls I was loaded running in 100 degree + heat. Everyone was driving 80 to 100 mph so..... I did consume a about a quart over the 3000+ miles of that trip. Mobil 1 15W50. I did not change it early and it was still the normal medium brown, not back. The inside of engine is still clean no varnish anywhere. Once back to lower lower temps and more normal speeds oil consumption went back to zero so it was just the heat and speed. I changed it at 7000 miles. I did not do an analysis. I am NOT worried, it actually seems to run better. I am due for another change after this years rally. It has not used a drop. Bet next year it does not use a drop either.

Ride it

BMW generally specifies a change interval of 6,000 miles (10,000 Kilometers which is 6,200 miles) except for "severe service" where a 3,000 mile interval is specified. Severe service is winter use in sub freezing temperatures and use for many short trips wherein the engine seldom gets fully warmed up. A long trip at highway speeds is not defined as severe service. However should the engine overheat that is severe and the oil should be changed regardless of mileage.

Thanks for input Rod. I live in South Florida bike is R1200RT/2011. Thinking the 10W60 would provide better heat protection. I have Amsoil 20W50 in it now put in June 2021 but only 2K on the oil.

Your R1200RT is a Camhead, not an Oilhead and this is the wrong forum

Your notion that an oil that creates more internal friction is somehow a heat protection thing is questionable.

Last edited:
Back