Thread: Single Disc to Double Disk?

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Question Single Disc to Double Disk?

Just bought a 1984 R65 - beautiful machine with only 19K on odometer. Braking could be better but I'm told that is the nature of the beast and to leave more room in front of me.

Has anyone added a second brake rotor in front? What parts would be needed? If possible, where would one secure these parts for a 22 year old bike?

Thanks

low miles!

This ones not even broke in yet! The R65's use entirely different parts from most other BMW's, I've heard. I think this one will be hard to get your parts for, but I may be wrong.. I have an even older Beemer R100'78 that leaves one to wonder about stopping! Single front disk, drum rear. It takes some serious adjustment in riding style to switch from my newer KLT,vs. the oldie, due to this brake technology leap... I figure it takes a really good(better) rider to do this and live through it! You should have ridden the all drum 70's, if you think the single disk is bad. Enjoy your like new, low mileage R65. I rode one years ago, for a friend and nearly killed myself passing traffic on a two lane. I have been on bigger beemers for years and years and the power band of the R65 was a bit slower than I had anticipated. I made it Aok, but my eyes were opened. Crank on that thing, baby(rpm's).Happy Trails

I had an 82 R65 awhile ago, and also wasn't pleased with the brakes. In examining them, I found them glazed, so [being cheap] I filed and sandpapered them, and got much improved performance. Not that I would recommend that now. Replacing the pads with a more effecient braking compound would be a much better solution to the problem.

VANZEN

double disk

the single can be made much more effective with good pads, an iron rotor, changing out the mc to provide for a better "ratio"
    (piston ? to caliper ? - factory ratios were way conservative), and SS lines IF your rubber ones are old and all blowed out.

these changes on a dual system are a great improvement over stock as well

Hard lines work!

Yeah, I did the stainless fluid lines also on my R100 and it is a definate improvement. The only issue with iron rotors is rust! They do bite better,however.

VANZEN

they bite A LOT better

on the one hand we have unsightly rust film & stopping ability

on the other the beauty of SS & marginal braking

what a difficult choice!

The LS came with double disc front brakes. Braking was a big shock for me the first time I rode a /7 with a single disc!

Search the archives at Boxerworks

A quick search turned up a thread entitled "R65 Dual Disc Conversion" right away - that thread alone has tons of info.

Searching the archives at Boxerworks is one of your best bets concerning technical questions.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH
    Just bought a 1984 R65 - beautiful machine with only 19K on odometer. Braking could be better but I'm told that is the nature of the beast and to leave more room in front of me.

Has anyone added a second brake rotor in front? What parts would be needed? If possible, where would one secure these parts for a 22 year old bike?

Thanks

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

A new site

Never heard of Boxerworks but now I have a new bookmark.

Thank you!