Thread: miss/hick-up

miss/hick-up

2002 single spark has a miss every ones in a while during idle.This happens sometimes like a split second miss.Other than that bike runs like a champ.Is this possibly a pre Hall Sensor curse?Anybody else have this happening to them?
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

Ruke of thumb

Rule of thumb say to change spark plugs first and worry about the rest later.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Rule of thumb say to change spark plugs first and worry about the rest later.
    New plugs,wires ,side stand switch.My 98 R1100rt does the same thing and on that one I rewired the Hall sender with silicon wires.It's just something that annoys me.Both bikes run good.One thing that I am thinking is the neutral light bulb causing it.I keep my eyes on it to see if it has a flicker but never see one.
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

I wouldn't worry about an occasional hiccup. My motto, if it works, don't fix it. If it gets worse, then .....

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
    I wouldn't worry about an occasional hiccup. My motto, if it works, don't fix it. If it gets worse, then .....
    +1 on this. My 1100 did the same.

Neglected Bike Adopter
    My 97 850R had a similar thing soon after I bought it; it would hiccup every so often while running, even while warm, like it wasn't firing every once in a while. In diagnosing a no-spark condition that happened later (due to a Motronic lockout) I found that the original ignition coil had an issue.

The single-spark coils built in I think '95 or later were built with a hard black plastic outer casing that's kind of like a cup surrounding the electronics, with the space inside the cup filled with red epoxy to protect all the circuitry. (The older coils are more red and cylindrical and this doesn't apply to them.) The mouth of this "cup" faces down towards the engine when mounted. What happens is that the engine heat cycling slowly warps the outer plastic and makes it expand, peeling it away from the epoxy filler and exposing the electronics to the open (and sometimes humid) air. Mine had done exactly this, and the crack between the case and the epoxy was a couple millimeters wide in some spots.

The coil worked and provided strong spark whenever I tested it, but when I replaced it with a better-condition and uncracked used one the hiccup stopped and the bike now runs smoother.

It may be possible to recondition a cracking one by filling the cracks with epoxy if it's completely dehumidified beforehand, but a new coil is $150 or so from EuroMotoElectrics. These are also fairly safe to buy used since the failure mode is quite visible. I think I paid $45.
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see.

That is very interesting.I will have to check into that.I drove a 2000 1100rt the other day and that machine was smooth as can be so I know something isn't right
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

I used to ride a 2002 R1150RS Here is what I learned.

This happens from the O2 sensor for emissions.

The O2 sensor they use only measure rich or lean. On off. So the ecu leans the mixture until is switches and then makes the mixture richer until it switched back. It does this all the time and uses the data to calculate fuel trims. During the lean excursion the engine may stumble or surge. Cycles range from 2 to 5 seconds depending on O2 condition.

As the sensor ages it get slower and the stumble or surge may get worse. If one side of the engine gets more air or the fuel injector supplies more fuel than the other (throttle body balance) it can make this more pronounced. This where all the careful valve lash setting and throttle body balance came from. A new rather expensive 02 sensor will help. Off the bike Injector cleaning using an ASNEW type ultrasonic machine also help but the Bosch injectors used are very good.

So the answer is “they all do that” If it bothers you riding then careful valve adjust and balance can make it go away. On my bike using Bosch 4417 plugs was the fix. They last a long time, the autolites so many recommend started to degrade after 2000 miles. The OE dual electrode is good for maybe 4 K. I run the 4417 over 20K miles before replaced them. They would have been good longer but they needed a new gasket. This is a 4 electrode platinum plug. It is not an exact cross but for me the difference was night and day . Over 100K using them and no issues. My riding was often spirited A 2002RS with the bags off and the windshield down rider tucked in well will easily hit the rev limit in 6th. YMMV.

Thanks for the info.I fully understand the oxygen sensors hunting in reaching a 14.7 to 1 ratio.Now an oxygen sensor should last for about 80k and the bike doing it has 35k on it.I will try out your spark plug and see what happens.
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il