• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Gray Ghost II makes her first trip through the Bighorns

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
I queried the Black Hills BMW "Riders" to find someone to accompany me on my ride today but had no takers.

I left Spearfish at 0600 and returned at 1600 - a great little ride with two stops.
I slabbed it on I-90 to Buffalo WY and stopped for gas, coffee, and a breakfast burrito.

Rode over the Cloud Peak Skyway (US-16) and down through Ten Sleep Canyon - traffic-free, I passed three or four vehicles in 65 miles.

North to Greybull from Ten Sleep and back over the Bighorns via US 14 and Shell Canyon to Burgess Junction, then down the East face to Dayton - not one vehicle impeded my run - unbelievable on a Friday before a three day weekend!

A stop for gas and sustenance in Sheridan and then US 16 to Gillette WY before the 90-mile slog home on I-90.
My original plan was to take US 16 from Moorcroft and run by Devils Tower but there were some ominous-looking clouds to the North.
The clouds caught me between Sundance and Beaulah WY and I ran in a bit of rain and hail for about 10 miles.

There are a bunch of pictures in the video below.

Nice run, my brother and I are staying in Spearfish for 3 days 2nd week of July to explore the area once again [ we liked spearfish that much as it's centrally located for great day rides like yours here.

Where you live there, any suggestions other than the obligatory rte 16/a through Custer park and running up to Deadwood and over to Sturgis? We did Mt. Rushmore and Devils tower last year.

Thanks

Nice run, my brother and I are staying in Spearfish for 3 days 2nd week of July to explore the area once again [ we liked spearfish that much as it's centrally located for great day rides like yours here.

Where you live there, any suggestions other than the obligatory rte 16/a through Custer park and running up to Deadwood and over to Sturgis? We did Mt. Rushmore and Devils tower last year.

Thanks

Yes - FromSpearfish head to Sturgis, from Sturgis ride South toward Rapid City via Vanocker canyon and the Nemo Road, then take the Norris peak Road to Hwy 44 and continue West to US 385. Take 385 South to Custer then West on US 16 to Newcastle WY, North on US 85 to Spearfish Canyon, North through Spearfish Canyon to Spearfish, and then back to Sturgis - about 200 miles.

From Spearfish ride South through Spearfish Canyon to US 85, South on US 85 to WY 585, NW on WY 585 to Sundance, West on US 16 towards Devils Tower, past Devils Tower to Hulett, North to Alzada MT on WY 112/MT 326. Stop in Alzada at the Stoneville Saloon for a good burger and to look at the memorabilia. The owner is tattooed like a tiger and they sell cans of Sheep's A$$holes (rebadged spaghetti-o's) for your most deserving friends.
From Alzada head East to Belle Fourche SD - "The Center of the Nation" before returning to Spearfish.

Another good little loop is from Spearfish North on US 85 to Belle Fourche, West on SD 34/WY 34 through Alladin WY to Hulett, and then return via either Sundance or Alzada. If you come back via Sundance take a few minutes to ride to the top of Warren Peak and go to the fire lookout. Warren Peak was the site of an early Cold War Air Force Radar installation that was powered by a small Nuclear reactor.

West of Spearfish along I-90, just West of Beaulah WY, is the Vore Buffalo Jump. Worth a stop and a walk down into the pit to see what the University of Wyoming has excavated and to gain a glimpse into the life of the Plains Indians before they had horses in the early 18th century.

Also in Spearfish is the High Plains Heritage Center, one of the finest and underutilized western Museums in the country. A great collection of both Cowboy and Indian artifacts. A great 'rainy day" destination.

PM me when you are closer and I'll see if I can join up for a ride.

The Black Hills BMW Riders meet on Sunday mornings for coffee at various locations throughout the hills, usually in Rapid City. https://chatkatodonnell.wixsite.com/bmw-riders/coffee-locations

I guess it is a good thing that I rode "The Loop" on Friday as there is a Winter Storm Warning in effect from now through Tuesday evening for the Northern Bighorns. Ten to Twenty inches of heavy wet snow are expected at elevation.

Will winter end in May?

I guess it is a good thing that I rode "The Loop" on Friday as there is a Winter Storm Warning in effect from now through Tuesday evening for the Northern Bighorns. Ten to Twenty inches of heavy wet snow are expected at elevation.

Will winter end in May?

Yes, yes it will, just not where we live.

Will winter end in May?

100 degrees and 40 mile an hour winds today in the Texas Panhandle.

The Big Horns are one of my favorite places to go. 14& 16 are great roads. Wish I lived closer to them. Great restaurant in Sheridan. Wyoming Chop House.

bigjohnsd,

My brother and I changed plans last night. We're going to forgo Keystone and stay further west in the Tetons, getting as far east as Cody then dipping back down into Colorado.

Enjoy that area you live in, one of the best for riding I've ever been through

Back