• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hole in engine case

willboo

I inherited a 2015 F800 GS with a small hole drilled in the engine case, at the heat exchange tube fitting. The guilty party was trying to extract a bolt after they broke the head off. Now when you're all done laughing and shaking your heads I'd like to pick some brains...Has anyone ever dealt with an issue like this? Is there a possibility of an expert machine/weld shop filling the hole and retapping for said broke bolt? The bike has 25K miles on it and other than needing new tires is in otherwise excellent condition. Just thought I'd ask before investing a lot of time online and on the phone researching this.

I an not sure where on the engine this hole is, nor how big it is. That said I would be fairly sure that a good machine shop can fix this. One approach would be to over size the hole and use a threaded insert. If that is not possible due to interference from something too close to the hole then the suggestion that it could be welded and then drilled and tapped would be likely to work. A few photos would help us understand.

A little more info on the hole would help. If is is not in hot exhaust I would clean the hole well, and use JB Weld over the hole and keep and eye on it.

Did the previous owner drill through the broken bolt and continue through the crankcase?

what size threaded hole?

Another choice would be to drill and taper it to a standard size and Locktite a set screw into the hole.

DSCN1176.jpg
This is the best picture I can get. I exaggerated the extent of the damage based on the confession of the guilty party. After getting down on the creeper for a closer look, I determined the case was not penetrated and the issue will be removing the remaining portion of bolt, over drilling and installing an insert. As always I appreciate input from those know how to 'fix things'. Now I just need to find a place to store another motorcycle.

I would think that even if that had penetrated the case. Once the remaining bolt material is removed, a plug with a blind hole could be fashioned and sealed into the hole in the case. If the case is not drilled through, then a typical thread repair method should fix it up.

I would agree Ed and I believe I have found a guy with the expertise to do it. I'll follow up when the fix is done.

Success

Mustering ALL of the patience and finesse I have, I was able to remove the broken bolt with a Dremel tool and several different bits. I then used a Time-sert kit to install a threaded insert. As the old saying goes "I'd rather be lucky than good". The insert was perfectly centered on the coolant tube flange bolt hole. After several warming up and cooling down cycles followed by one highway run, it's leak free. And I am very relieved! The one take away from this repair, should I have to replace another broken bolt in this manner, is to be careful with how much material is removed from the outside wall of the original bolt hole. The wall of the insert is not very thick and the over drill is not significant.

Attachments

• DSCN1182.jpg
    DSCN1182.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 42
Back