• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigation Options—- R1250 GSA

K1300Ser

Folks:

What is everyone using as a navigation option for their GSA’s? OR, just buy the BMW unit (Garmin?) and be done with it?

I use the NAV VI. I find the ability to display bike information and to respond to the wonder wheel to be very handy. They’ve had issues with the device but are quick to replace and seem to be more reliable.

I have the Nav VI on my 2015 GSA, and prefer it to anything else, so much so that I bought a second (newer 2021 version) last summer, and kept the original version Nav VI as a backup.

I am using a BMW Nav VI on my 2021 R1250 GSA. So far, I have no experienced the typical screen ghosting problem that others report. If I experience any issue with the Nav VI, I would probably switch to the Garmin Zumo XT (which I nearly bought when I purchased the bike).

Connect Ride for my phone. Works perfectly!

I’d love for it to work perfectly. It usually runs for between 2 and 10 minutes and then just quits. Just long enough for me to get comfortable that it’s working. Then 30 miles down the road I realize “oh sh*t … the f*cking thing quit again. Similar things happen somewhat less often with media.

I’ve contacted BMW about it and they told me to talk to my dealer. 42k on my 2019 GSA and I mention it every time I’m in for scheduled service with the typical response of [emoji848]. And nobody I ride with uses the TFT that way so they are no help.

Last fall they hooked it up to the mothership and updated everything. Some improvement in media … same issues with navigation. So at this point I’ve given up and use my Nav VI, complete with ghost touches (on my 5th one and have given up on getting that resolved as well).

Thank God the bike is reliable. I may not always get exactly where I’m going, but at least I never have to thumb a ride to get there [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zumo XT in locking Touratech Mount in the same place the factory GPS mounts.
I bought the BMW Repair harness plug that enabled me to connect it to the bike where the NAV-VI connects.

I've put 8,000 miles on my XT so far - great screen, navigates well, updates on its own from WIFI, works well with my Samsung S10 phone and my Cardo PT Bold.
Garmin Explore APP is useful for track transfer and sharing.

I do miss the direct access to the bike I had with my NAV-V on my '14 GSA but the XT is a much better GPS and much easier to read in the sun. With the TFT the motorcycle data that I used to look at on the NAV-V is readily available on the TFT just a button push away.

Net result - Garmin Zumo XT for the win!

EDIT - XT + Touratech Locking Mount way less $$ than the NAV VI

I have the RT version of this mount adapter for my Zumo XT: https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product/e-navxt/

It fits perfectly, no extra handle bar mounting needed. It’s a 2020 RT, so I don’t miss the already-limited wonder wheel functionality that I had with my outdated Navi VI.

One big improvement: the Zumo XT has a far-superior Bluetooth Stack, making it severely less buggy and easier to use than the Navi VI with my SENA helmet set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BMW Nav gives you a selection of bike info displays which I absolutely loved when we were off road in remote areas. At a glance I could see engine oil temp and tire pressures . YMMV but I liked that capability.

I'm using the Connected Ride cradle and my smart phone. Was working perfectly the other day, now I'm having issues. Probably operator error.

Thanks all. I have talked to dealers and researched every option mentioned. Here is the direction I took:

I bought the 5.5” Garmin Zumo XT and will use the Touratech locking mount. It mounts in the same place as the stock unit and I will power it with the BMW “repair” power supply as detailed earlier. I will loose the ability to control it with the wheel on the handlebar but, in my estimation, I gain a larger and better display and a more reliable and capable unit for less money.

The BMW “repair” kit allows the bike to power the Zumo unit through the bikes normal electrical channel as well.

Thanks all. I have talked to dealers and researched every option mentioned. Here is the direction I took:

I bought the 5.5” Garmin Zumo XT and will use the Touratech locking mount. It mounts in the same place as the stock unit and I will power it with the BMW “repair” power supply as detailed earlier. I will loose the ability to control it with the wheel on the handlebar but, in my estimation, I gain a larger and better display and a more reliable and capable unit for less money.

The BMW “repair” kit allows the bike to power the Zumo unit through the bikes normal electrical channel as well.

Anyone have a link to where I can purchase the "repair" power leads?

Got the Connected Ride App working fine on my smartphone. Nav and bike information works very well. However, I've decided to sell both the nav and the smartphone cradle, so look in the classifieds if you're interested.

Back