• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

05 RT headlight lens removal

lornam

Hello,
Would someone please16529069486886826449880555721859.jpg tell me how to remove the lens cover to my headlight assembly? 2005 R1209RT. I've been scraping away at the gasket/seal all day and it still does not want to come off. All suggestions appreciated. TIA. Also, I'm new to the forum after a very long hiatus...looking forward to meeting everyone.
Lorna

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, It seems like you should be able to remove the lens.....guess I will call Max tomorrow and ask them to be sure.

I had a little visitor.....he left some sunflower seed shells in the headlight assembly, little rascal 🤬

That's not intended to come apart. The lens and reflector are glued together. There was an old video or web site showing a RT conversion to projector beams. It took a lot of work with a heat gun and multiple pry tools to open the shell. The risk of damaging a very expensive ($761) part or not getting it re-sealed properly seemed too great.

I'd first try to shake the seeds out the lamp hole. Compressed air and a blowgun with six inches of rubber tube on the end might help blow the bits out. Start with low pressure, the reflector could be very thin plastic.

Or you might try removing all three lamps, then putting a vacuum hose to one of the holes to suck the seeds out.

Last edited:
A clear, flexible hose taped to the larger hose of a vacuum cleaner, inserted through the bulb access hole should take care of it.
OM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Out of frustration yesterday, at not being able to separate the lens, I tried the vacumn method and got most of the seeds out that way. Sounds like I saved myself even more frustration by leaving the lens in place!

Now my concern is whether to seal the lens back to the way it was before I spent hours picking away at it......I don't know for certain that the seal hasn't been broken, rainwater might accumulate? ...... all thoughts and suggestions appreciated. TIA. ☔🐠☔🍲

Maybe try shining a strong flashlight in from the front AND rear and look for light escaping along the gasket.
I don't know what would stick well (in high wind and all weather) to those particular plastics, but high-temp silicone (sticks better than "regular"), or "car trim" adhesive, would re-seal cracks or divots.

Thanks everyone who helped me figure this out. She's all put back together and looking good as new! 🙂
In the process I removed/cleaned out the air intake and air filter. Apparently the bugger was sleeping in the intake and storing his food in the "overhead", garaged 😳
I'll be storing my bike with an abundance of dryer sheets crammed into every opening in the future. 🐀🐁🐀

And the bike will smell so fresh!
Moth balls scattered around the area might make for a "hostile environment"; bait blocks, sticky traps, an underfed cat, and a .177 pellet are all good deterrents.

Back