Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1994 R1100RSL. Do Throttle-body cleaners with Acetone also dissolve the TPS insides?

The thin white line (small gap) between the throttle body bore and the throttle plate is the bulk of the air required at idle. The bleed screws just fine tune that to obtain the correct idle speed and balance. The actual position of the throttle plates is set with a very sensitive airflow meter at the factory - thus the blue paint on the adjusting screw.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Try Seafoam for cleaning. It highly regarded in automotive circles.
    2002 - R1150R Atlanta Blue
    1982 - Porsche 928 - Gold

David327 (Chevy?) - if further questions are related to what's going on here, stay in this thread; if they're a completely different topic, start a new thread.

I sometimes have access to other folks' "junk", so I was able to make this handy little gizmo for TPS measurements:
    PC270001.JPG
    Pin 1 - the white wire with a red runner, topmost in the photo and rearmost on the bike - is the TPS measurement point; use the brown wire attached to the throttle body as your ground/return.
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 05-29-2022 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added "where"

Yes, that pictured patch cord is ideal.

Yes, that pictured patch cord is ideal. Beemer Boneyard says he hasn't any suitable connectors for me to solder together as you pictured.
    I'm considering Mr. BewareBoy's idea of using a sliver of lamp cord wire in the TPS connector, as above.
    Or Mick McKinnon's post,
    k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.
    Mr. McKinnon says all R1100 bikes with 2.2 Motronics can use the diagnostic connector and an LED...

I am delighted by y'all's ideas: the feeling of expert teamwork, the empowerment.
    And I'm delighted how my posted question brought machine-generated archived thread suggestions I couldn't find manually when I searched. Advertising automatically spams me related products, now that automation worked in my benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by davidanderson327 View Post
    Yes, that pictured patch cord is ideal. Beemer Boneyard says he hasn't any suitable connectors for me to solder together as you pictured.
    I'm considering Mr. BewareBoy's idea of using a sliver of lamp cord wire in the TPS connector, as above.
    Or Mick McKinnon's post,
    k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.
    Mr. McKinnon says all R1100 bikes with 2.2 Motronics can use the diagnostic connector and an LED...
    I just want to emphasize that the TPS Adjustment Test via the diagnostic connector is just a pass/fail test. It shows that the TPS at idle is in the acceptable range, it doesn't show the voltage.

That connector pictured is a neat piece of work. I take a single wire from a four-wire telephone cord, strip off the insulation at each end and slip one twisted end into the TPS pin 1 slot and close the connector again. The wire is thin enough that it will conform to the closed connection and still allow it to close. I then attach a voltmeter to the end of the wire sticking out from the TPS connector and measure the voltage on pin 1. At idle, I shoot for 380-385 mv.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6