Thread: final drive service

final drive service

did my lubrication of the drive shaft on my 2012 r 1200 rt I was able to do both ends of the drive shaft without removing the swing arm. Getting the drive shaft to engage on the engine end took some moving of the drive shaft to get the right angle and then to knock the drive shaft enough to engage the snap ring was a bit tricky but changing the angle of the shaft and keeping at it did the job. I lubed the splines with lube I was able to buy a baggy with enough lube to do the job from my dealer in Iowa city without buying a large amount that I wouldn't need but once. Looking at the splines there was no rust and looked fine. Another tricky part was getting the engine end rubber boot on as it was kind of tight in the room allowed but it's a covered area and I expect it's on good enough though it wasn't a solid engagement of the boot to the casing.

Quote Originally Posted by kgallaway View Post
    did my lubrication of the drive shaft on my 2012 r 1200 rt I was able to do both ends of the drive shaft without removing the swing arm. Getting the drive shaft to engage on the engine end took some moving of the drive shaft to get the right angle and then to knock the drive shaft enough to engage the snap ring was a bit tricky but changing the angle of the shaft and keeping at it did the job. I lubed the splines with lube I was able to buy a baggy with enough lube to do the job from my dealer in Iowa city without buying a large amount that I wouldn't need but once. Looking at the splines there was no rust and looked fine. Another tricky part was getting the engine end rubber boot on as it was kind of tight in the room allowed but it's a covered area and I expect it's on good enough though it wasn't a solid engagement of the boot to the casing.
    I personally would not be happy with good enough in this case. Water can/will enter the swing arm and if so will wind up at the low end of the assembly where it will corrode the splines.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I personally would not be happy with good enough in this case. Water can/will enter the swing arm and if so will wind up at the low end of the assembly where it will corrode the splines.
    I just removed the swing arm to replace both rubber boots on the 2006 R1200GS I recently bought. The old boots were severely cracked so I expected the worst but there was no corrosion anywhere. Maybe I just got lucky. By the way, the job was much easier to do then I anticipated, hardest part was to engage the shaft to at final drive.
    Retired “Quiet Professional”