• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DIY sheepskin on an R1200R

r0ckrat

I got tired of a hot seat in the sun, and wanted to improve long distance comfort, so decided to make my own sheepskin cover.
I bought a cheap car seat cover that has a real skin center panel for around $30 on amazon, ripped the seams around the panel, and reused one of the elastic straps. Cut to fit, it leaves an edge of the seat showing, but oh well (it was long, and about 16" wide). Added a few squares of self-stick velcro around the nose and tail of the seat, and stiched on the elastic.
I think it turned out well enough, and is east to remove when desired.

Pic 1: Initial fit before trimming.
Pic 2: seat package.
Other pics: finished and installed.
9d95d0e8dedde897d83391ad2e2ccead.jpg
53d7817072df8cc3de2239f5c1021cd2.jpg
1f5df5f9343b3c2ef4d590b13be40079.jpg
401478a5b3db572f8881fb04d0935c47.jpg
b9d45f26f97eb72adc747f7ad4b9d2f1.jpg
7ac221678af01207286b36c9a801eab9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Looks good. I have been using the $30 IKEA sheepskins for the last 10+ years to very good effect. Lots better than paying the price of an Alaskan pad.

IMG_2803.jpg

Looks good. I have been using the $30 IKEA sheepskins for the last 10+ years to very good effect. Lots better than paying the price of an Alaskan pad.

That was my original plan, but the prices have gone up (now $40), and after some research it seemed that sheared sheepskin does a better job cooling.

My minimalist approach is to buy a genuine sheepskin car wash mitt and partially open the seam to splay it out whereupon it takes the shape of your rear end.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Been using an Alaska sheepskin since 2018. Keeps the seat cool in the heat of the summer, and warm in the cooler months of fall/winter.

Add to the above the ability to ride further without discomfort, what's not to like about a sheepskin pad on the seat?

Back