• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100s models, repair information and related

This is the tool that EME sells to fit the R1100s as well as others. Thinking it was maybe slightly too big, I inserted an hex key way smaller just to see if I could find it...still didn'tBMW-TDCpin-1.jpg

Pull the cover off the cam and rotate until you see an arrow on the cam gear. When it's pointing in, that's when you're at TDC and should be able to lock it with the pin.

It's been 15 years, so I might be little fuzzy on that, but give it a try. It might get you there.

Tdc

Pull the cover off the cam and rotate until you see an arrow on the cam gear. When it's pointing in, that's when you're at TDC and should be able to lock it with the pin.

It's been 15 years, so I might be little fuzzy on that, but give it a try. It might get you there.

Thanks Dave, anything is worth a try. I have a bore scope for working on firearms'. I'm going to stuff that in the hole and see if I can figure this out.

Thanks Dave, anything is worth a try. I have a bore scope for working on firearms'. I'm going to stuff that in the hole and see if I can figure this out.

Take the valve cover off and then take off the black circular plastic bit on the right side. The driven cam gear lives under it. You should see the arrow and be able to rotate it without any special tools or anything. You want it pointing toward the case at the 9:00 position.

That should give you the physical indicator for TDC you're looking for.

That's one method, but if your bike is in reasonably maintained condition, you can use the "which side of rockers have slack in them" methodology. This works on airheads, your /2 and your oil/hexheads or pretty much any rocker equipped bike. Find TDC as you normally would, via markings on the flywheel, cam sprocket indicator, whatever. With the valve covers off, wiggle the rockers. One side will be under tension. The other side will allow the rockers to wiggle a little, which means there is no spring pressure against them and they are TDC.

On an R11S that will totally work, having done it on oil and hex heads for years.

That's one method, but if your bike is in reasonably maintained condition, you can use the "which side of rockers have slack in them" methodology. This works on airheads, your /2 and your oil/hexheads or pretty much any rocker equipped bike. Find TDC as you normally would, via markings on the flywheel, cam sprocket indicator, whatever. With the valve covers off, wiggle the rockers. One side will be under tension. The other side will allow the rockers to wiggle a little, which means there is no spring pressure against them and they are TDC.

On an R11S that will totally work, having done it on oil and hex heads for years.

Doesn’t matter to me which way TDC is achieved. Just offering a way to get there.

OM

R1100s TDC

Right method for the right situation, right?

Lots of ways to find TDC it seems, but I do need to lock the engine to remove the alternator pulley...or I guess put it in 1st. stand on the rear brake and have at it?

Lots of ways to find TDC it seems, but I do need to lock the engine to remove the alternator pulley...or I guess put it in 1st. stand on the rear brake and have at it?

Put it in gear and have a friend hit the rear brake. Easy peasy.

Stuff I discovered in my search for no start issue

So discovery #1 there are two holes that open into the fly wheel. one here
IMG_3672.jpg
And one waay up here blocked by the airbox impossible to get to without dismantling the battery box, abs pump just to remove the airbox ...guess which one is the one that you must insert the locking tool in? Yeah this one
IMG_3673.jpg
So what to do...heat up a bolt and from the inside of the airbox melt a hole inline with the engine hole so a bar can be sent through the hole from the airbox...then find a rubber plug from ACE to plug the hole.
BMW engineers ( at least 20 years ago) were dirt bags. IMHO

Last edited:
Locking the R1100s crank

Put it in gear and have a friend hit the rear brake. Easy peasy.
So, with my bike that didn't work. it would lock the rear wheel but still allowed the crank to turn as I was trying to loosen the bolt. I had to use the locking pin method...or risk using an airtool.
I figured out how to use the locking pin (above)

Last edited:
I tossed mine down the road a few weeks ago.

Thankfully the bags were on so other than the bags this was the only damage.
IMG_8252-XL.jpg

IMG_8251-XL.jpg

R1100s Sleighride

I tossed mine down the road a few weeks ago.

Thankfully the bags were on so other than the bags this was the only damage.
Wow, the valve covers are a lot more durable than I thought. Looks like you could ride away after the crash?

Oh no, it poured all of the oil all over the road. The bike slid at least 50 feet past where I stopped! Nothing a little JB Weld couldn't fix!:ha

mag valve covers

Mine are Magnesium valve covers, I wonder if you'd get showers of sparks or if they could catch fire like a sparkler...I think about these things :)

Sorry to be a week late with this. When you get down low and look forward at the starter motor, there's an obvious hole visible. That's not the hole for the TDC locking pin. The correct hole is slightly higher and closer to the engine. If you already knew this, sorry for the duplication.

Capture.JPG

Sorry to be a week late with this. When you get down low and look forward at the starter motor, there's an obvious hole visible. That's not the hole for the TDC locking pin. The correct hole is slightly higher and closer to the engine. If you already knew this, sorry for the duplication.

No problem, on my model bike, (2003 R1100s) the first lower hole is for one of the rubber posts of the starter cover. I used a bore scope to peer inside and finally found the actual hole for the locking tool, and yes it's way up there. Your bike has it easy, you actually have the space to use a tool. Mine has the airbox 1.5"-2" away from the hole, making it impossible to get to without removing the airbox.

So discovery #1 there are two holes that open into the fly wheel. one here
View attachment 92385
And one waay up here blocked by the airbox impossible to get to without dismantling the battery box, abs pump just to remove the airbox ...guess which one is the one that you must insert the locking tool in? Yeah this one
View attachment 92386
So what to do...heat up a bolt and from the inside of the airbox melt a hole inline with the engine hole so a bar can be sent through the hole from the airbox...then find a rubber plug from ACE to plug the hole.
BMW engineers ( at least 20 years ago) were dirt bags. IMHO

The 1100S uses this tool to lock the flywheel because of the airbox. The starter is removed and tool inserted.
83300401562 ENGINE LOCKING DEVICE 0.05 1 $37.32

I made my own out of aluminum

Attachments

• ST_11 5 640_2_B.jpg
    ST_11 5 640_2_B.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20201111_174526.jpg
    20201111_174526.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201111_173110.jpg
    20201111_173110.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 47