• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100s models, repair information and related

tibork

What are the differences with the S model from like the RS - besides the look? Are they just more light weight or do they have any performance increase on the motors as well, different gear box? Thank you!

What are the differences with the S model from like the RS - besides the look? Are they just more light weight or do they have any performance increase on the motors as well, different gear box? Thank you!

Any of the several "S" fans can chime in more, but the big difference is the frame, and the 6 speed transmission as used in the R1150 models. I think there are also significant differences in the mapping in the ECUs.

Lighter, plus hotter cams and a tick more compression ratio to get 98 vs. 90 hp. Different internal transmission ratios, smaller fuel tank, can be fitted with two full sized panniers that don't have the indent for the RS muffler and probably lots more I can't think of right now. I certainly love mine!

Frank

Owners of an "S" are also recognised for their rugged good looks, attractive female companions and their ability to quash all comers in a contest of speed. To even consider owning an RS may preclude one from "S" ownership.

I do believe that Bluehole was selling conversion kits a few years ago. :D

To even consider owning an RS may preclude one from "S" ownership.

Voni had an S and an RS at the same time. She sold the S and bought a second RS so then had two RSs. Then she sold the second RS but kept the first RS, AKA Big Red. The too-ripe pumpkin color of the supposedly red S doomed it to be sold to someone who didn't care it was ugly. :) :laugh

The Boxer Cup version (code X393A?) also had a torque arm (at the rear suspension) that was 20 mm shorter, for quicker handling.

The Boxer Cup version (code X393A?) also had a torque arm (at the rear suspension) that was 20 mm shorter, for quicker handling.

A worthy, and relatively cheap/easy, upgrade I did to my S. Had to add 7mm pads to the centrestand feet in order to keep the back tire off the ground when using the stand.

When the K bike arrived, many believe it was BMW's plan to eliminate boxer twins.

The market said no, and along came the Oilhead. The K-bikes' lasting success was moving the GS to the top of the sales charts.

The first Oilheads had 2->1 exhausts, not the traditional look ... pipes going sideways!

The S returned the traditional exhaust header look with the two forward facing loops.

Of course now with Wetheads the exhaust is mostly straight down, with just a little forward loop. But they're still Boxer twins.

s vs rs

S has about 8hp more due to different exhaust, higher compression and different cam/valves also a little lighter.

R1100s

I think the Bimota-designed frame (rather than using the engine as a stressed member) is the most significant difference

I think the Bimota-designed frame (rather than using the engine as a stressed member) is the most significant difference

I believe the engine is a stressed member on the R1100S.

"In addition to using the engine as a stressed member, the R1100S has a composite aluminum frame to which the suspension components are attached."

R1100s differences

...also I think the first BMW oilhead to have the swingarm attach to the frame and not the transmission.

Last edited:
Back