Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Valve adjustments--why?

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    What do you mean "if"? I thought that that was the case!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    We've owned at least 8 BMW cars ranging from a 1991 525 to a couple of 2014 3 series cars. In my experience, the routine maintenance has become less expensive. The older cars had minor and major servicing intervals. The minor servicing was about $250 and the major closer to $800. I don't remember the intervals. Now the cars ask for oil changes, coolant changes, and brake fluid changes etc. based on mileage and how the car is driven. None of the BMWs approached the routine maintenance costs for my 93 Accord which wanted valve adjustments at ridiculously short intervals. The Accord also trashed its $2000 exhaust system in about two years from new. None of the BMWs ever had an exhaust replaced and we kept most of them until they were over ten years old.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Until I finally sold it a year ago, I had a 1981 VW Vanagon (Transporter) with air cooled boxer four cylinder (Type IV) which I parked on circular drive that was not level right to left. It had VW's first attempt at hydraulic lifters in its traditional engine. It often occurred when it had sat for a period of time that upon startup massive lifter knock occurred, sometimes lasting up to 15 minutes. It was painful but I don't think there was ever actual damage.

Given parking motorcycles on sidestand, this may have been likely as well.

On the other hand, today a 2001 Porsche Boxster with watercooled six cylinder boxer engine with hydraulic lifters is now regularly parked in the same location and it exhibits little problem. It does always start with extra revs and a bit of clatter, but it's over in a second. It's OHC like Oilheads and newer and has great lengths of cam chains to be tensioned as well.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It had VW's first attempt at hydraulic lifters in its traditional engine.
    I had an old VW Bug. Used to adjust the valves just like we do on our old Airheads. Did not know that VW made a motor with hydraulic lifters.
    Ray
    '74 R90/6. '75 R90S. '76 R90S. 2019 R1250RT
    Too many dirt bikes to list.

I have a friend that rides a 50,000 mile FJR like a scalded dog. With the exception of oil changes, the engine has never been touched. Same plugs, same coolant, same everything since it left the factory. I suspect there are thousands of Japanese motorcycles running around that are the same.

Yamaha's with shim under bucket set up probably requires the least attention of any of them (short of self adjusting valves). My T700 doesn't even call for them to be checked until 26K. If I keep the bike (which I believe I will) I may have them adjusted to the middle at 30K then not worry with them again, unless they get noisy or hard to start.
    16 R1200RS, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It's not unusual on a K bike...to go 60,000 to 70,000 miles before a adjustment is needed.
    On a wedge K-bike, that's been my experience as well.

Low maintenance engine designs certainly exist. Ford’s 2.0 Duratec Focus engine has 500cc cylinders and valve clearance checks are recommended every 100,000 miles. Honda’s 1500 GoldWing has 250cc cylinders and hydraulic lifters. Both engines seem to run forever.

However, a typical BMW motorcycle dealership relies on service and parts for most of their profit. They can not keep the doors open just by selling new bikes. Do a Google search for “Service Absorption Ratio” to understand why parts and service are so expensive and yet essential for dealer profitability.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Quote Originally Posted by wkoppa View Post
    To get to the powered outlets in the cowl of the 310GS to hook up accessories there are 34 screws. Only 34. They could have engineered easy removal of the headlight from the front but didn't from what I can figure out. Some have said you can get the headlight out from the front but it don't seem to be possible or practical to me. Only 34

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449
    86 Monte Carlo SS headlight replace, remove nose, 114 fasteners. Winner, or looser, depending

Rod

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If anyone wants a head-scratcher, open the hood on a Ford diesel pickup truck. I swear they put everything in a blender, liquified the components, poured them into the engine compartment, troweled it off and slammed the hood.
    Oh, and some of those trucks require removal of the cab from the frame for some services.
    Part of the “inconvenience package”.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    If anyone wants a head-scratcher, open the hood on a Ford diesel pickup truck. I swear they put everything in a blender, liquified the components, poured them into the engine compartment, troweled it off and slammed the hood.