• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

WERKS Quiet Ride review 2016 R1200RT

jsd

I have been considering an aftermarket windscreen for several years now. At 5' 7" the factory one is really not terrible as far as buffeting but with my new AGV carbon helmet it was just too loud (better earplugs help but then I couldn't hear intercom) so it was time to upgrade. Because of the amount of positive reviews I decided to go the route of the WERKS Quiet ride or 7Jurok thinking they were the same. Luckily after coming across another write up I found out that they are in fact not the same screen they are both made at the same place but slightly different designs. The light tint which I wanted was not available at the time but I had read a write up where WERKS had built a custom light bronze so I emailed Terry at Werks and inquired, he was very helpful and was happy to provide the custom light bronze tint. I was also torn between the 22" and 24" due to my short stature and living in VA where the more air the better. Terry also pointed out that the 24" would be better at higher speeds so I went that route. The 24" is the perfect height because there is a little distortion where the flare is and when fully extended (which I would only do in a full on rain storm) I am looking thru the screen just below the distortion where in the 22" it would be right in the line of vision. It also only needs to be raised a few inches when above 50 below 50 all the way down is fine. It does deliver as promised a quieter ride and minimal buffeting (I waited to post this until I had rode several hundred miles under different temps and winds) this is really apparent at lower speeds around town. I used to always have the BMW shield up just below my line of vision when going over 20, the Quiet ride can be left all the way down until roughly 40 - 50 and then only raised a few inches. This allows a lot more airflow onto the rider which is almost as great as the quieter ride and minimal buffeting. I am now able to go back to my lighter duty earplugs and listen to music and intercom and hear traffic etc. I am also able to ride short distances without earplugs which I have never been able to do on any RT. I think the light bronze looks better than the light grey and compliments the bikes color, also provides a little shade for the GPS. I did ride one day in high winds and cross winds in which case it felt the same as any other wind screen, cant fix that I suppose, I keep a few different types of earplugs for those few and far between occasions. I highly recommend this product and am very happy with it. Now if I can just get Cardo, Garmin and Siri to get along... another story. IMG_5760.jpgIMG_5753.jpgIMG_5761.jpgIMG_5762.jpg

Nice write-up. I have a Werks Quiet Ride on my bike - really like it. I like the tint you have; might have to consider getting a tinted one for myself.

Very interesting information on the Werks quiet ride. Thanks for reporting on it.
I have a related or unrelated question depending on how you see it.
What kind of helmet do you wear? I have several helmets and find the the noise behind both my BMW OEM shield and my Cee Bailey shield is intolerable with all but the Schuberth C3. This applies to my 2016 R1200RT.
If I am riding just on a day ride keeping speeds below Interstate speeds I do not need my ear plugs with the Schuberth whereas with the others plugs are mandatory! For extended highway speeds, ear plugs are always a good idea.
I don't think I could ever be happy with a different helmet again.

Bob

What kind of helmet do you wear?

Bob
Bob, I have several helmets; an el cheapo Scorpion modular, a C3 Pro - now retired, a C4, and now a new C5, my every day helmet. All very comfortable and reasonably quiet. I adjust the Quiet Ride up or down as needed for airflow/windblast. I adjust the screen up just a touch so the windblast is not directly in my face, and the noise level goes down. I still wear earplugs for long rides, but may not use them for short rides. I think if one rides a naked bike, the quiet factor of a helmet becomes crucial; and usually earplugs are required. On our fully faired bikes, especially with a Quiet Ride, the helmet quiet factor becomes subjective.

Very interesting information on the Werks quiet ride. Thanks for reporting on it.
I have a related or unrelated question depending on how you see it.
What kind of helmet do you wear? I have several helmets and find the the noise behind both my BMW OEM shield and my Cee Bailey shield is intolerable with all but the Schuberth C3. This applies to my 2016 R1200RT.
If I am riding just on a day ride keeping speeds below Interstate speeds I do not need my ear plugs with the Schuberth whereas with the others plugs are mandatory! For extended highway speeds, ear plugs are always a good idea.
I don't think I could ever be happy with a different helmet again.

Bob

Bob, one of the reasons I went ahead with the purchase is that I changed helmets last year from the Schuberth C3 Pro to the AGV Sport Modular Carbon. The Carbon is a bit louder regardless of the tests, not a lot but a bit. I think its more my head shape than the helmet itself, there is a bit of extra room at my temple area, great for wearing glasses bad for noise. The top vent on both were so loud with the factory shield I could only use it at very low speeds or if I was wearing the most powerful of ear plugs. Schuberth stopped stamping their helmets in both DOT and EC ratings a few years back, no idea why but it was a deal breaker for me, these helmets are way too expensive not to be able to use regardless of which side of the pond or side of the Canadian border I am on. Anyways now with the quiet ride I can enjoy the very light weight of the carbon helmet and use the top vent. Now its not silent by any means but the air is smooth enough that it doesn't force me to raise shield higher or switch earplugs.

I think if one rides a naked bike, the quiet factor of a helmet becomes crucial; and usually earplugs are required.

Not quite true with the newer R. On any bike with "wind protection" I find that standing up and getting into clean air is quieter than seated, even tucked in behind the shield. The newer R is quiet without a shield... up to speeds likely to get a ticket (at least with my Scorpion T1200 carbon). The real benefit of a shield is preventing fatigue, as it requires more effort with the wind on your upper body on longer days in the saddle. The downside is a lot less airflow in warm weather.

jsd, sorry to have hijacked your thread.
I have tried a few different windshields and I wish that Cee Baily hadn't stopped manufacturing for the motorcycle industry. This is the second RT I have had this windshield on, which required a small bit of re-manufacturing but it is worth it. Good luck with your choice.

Bob

…WERKS Quiet ride or 7Jurok …I found out that they are in fact not the same screen they are both made at the same place but slightly different designs…

I thought I recalled a post in which Terry explained that they ARE the same design. I came away thinking that there is an agreement to share the intellectual property. Perhaps someone can elaborate.

Cap

I thought I recalled a post in which Terry explained that they ARE the same design. I came away thinking that there is an agreement to share the intellectual property. Perhaps someone can elaborate.

Cap

The newest ones are the same, the 2016 are different designs. I don't know to what degree but Werks had a ton of great reviews and was willing to do the special light tint so I went that route. They are partners on the newer product. Terry's explanation can be found on the forum or web pretty easily. 7Jurock did offer a medium grey (25% vs 15% for the Light) but I believe that would be too dark for what I wanted.

jsd, sorry to have hijacked your thread.
I have tried a few different windshields and I wish that Cee Baily hadn't stopped manufacturing for the motorcycle industry. This is the second RT I have had this windshield on, which required a small bit of re-manufacturing but it is worth it. Good luck with your choice.

Bob

No worries, Helmets, earplugs and windscreens are all in the same group of PPE and personal comfort as far as I am concerned. Each having a very big effect on the other.

Just checked those Werks screens for availability for my 2011RT, seems they don't make one down past the 2014 model RT.

Hmmm, onward in the quest to find a new screen.

Just checked those Werks screens for availability for my 2011RT, seems they don't make one down past the 2014 model RT.

Hmmm, onward in the quest to find a new screen.

When I had my 2009 RT I purchased a screen off a newer model that had a shape more like the 14-21 it was cheap and slightly better than the 09 Version, not sure which shape your 11 is. Then I upgraded to a V Stream and was quite happy but hot, it blocks a lot of air. I was living in VT at the time so not a huge issue. It was pretty quiet as well. 7Jurock does make a similar version of the Werks for earlier years you maybe able to source a used one if your not in a hurry. You could always just buy a wet head :nod

When I had my 2009 RT I purchased a screen off a newer model that had a shape more like the 14-21 it was cheap and slightly better than the 09 Version, not sure which shape your 11 is. Then I upgraded to a V Stream and was quite happy but hot, it blocks a lot of air. I was living in VT at the time so not a huge issue. It was pretty quiet as well. 7Jurock does make a similar version of the Werks for earlier years you maybe able to source a used one if your not in a hurry. You could always just buy a wet head :nod

I prefer the camhead motors but do own a 16RS water cooled as well. I like the dry clutch better for police slow speed cone courses :)

I may go with a parabellum screen. Bought one for my 07GT that my brother still uses yeats later. I run a Z-technic on the RS, that's an option as well. Sure would be nice to find another C Baileys for it, but alas they are no longer made.

Back