Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mounting/Dismounting a loaded R1200 GS

I gave the suggestions a try this afternoon and using the foot pegs seemed to be the best option. It's easier to mount with the bike on the side stand, but I don't feel comfortable taking the bike off the center stand while standing beside the bike. I usually do that once on the bike by pushing it forward. It seems like the bike will fall away from me once off the center stand. That may not be the case, but it feels that way, which is most likely due to this being a new procedure. I may practice taking the bike off the center stand while standing next to the bike.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    2018 R1200 GS
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I may practice taking the bike off the center stand while standing next to the bike.
    Not really sure of another way……or I misunderstood what you were saying.
    Side stand up, so you don’t lose a toe, use the front brake as “roll control”. Ease it forward and go with the “bounce”.
    Practice will definitely increase confidence. It’s almost like setting a 32’ ladder that you haven’t used in a while.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Not really sure of another way……or I misunderstood what you were saying.
    OM, I guess I should have explained things a bit better. Sorry. Being a rather tall person, both feet touch the ground with the bike on the center stand. So, I usually just push the bike forward while on it. That way, I don't have to worry about the bike falling to either side, since my legs keep it upright. When I said I may practice it's because I don't see the necessity of taking the bike off its center stand to get on the bike.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    2018 R1200 GS
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I may practice taking the bike off the center stand while standing next to the bike.
    If possible, practice a few times with a helper on the right hand side of the bike who can intervene if the bike starts to get away from you, starting to fall to the right.

I put the sidestand down first. I keep my toes away. But I don't like holding the bike up, standing on one leg while I put the side stand down after the bike is on its two wheels.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have three bikes with center stands and I never take them off that stand unless on them. Even on my tallest bike, I get it forward to the point of it coming down, and use the front brake to do it slowly. I honestly can't imagine standing alongside it while taking it off the center stand, particularly fully loaded. Physics says, "No problem." My brain says otherwise.

At the BMW riders school, they teach you to put the bike in gear before taking it off the center stand. Works great! The bike just squats and doesn't try to go anywhere. No scrambling to grab the front brake. I do it that way now with any bike on its centerstand. 45+ years of riding and I can't believe I never thought of doing it that way. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

There seem to be as many ways as there are people.
    Try this, at the 9:30 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruOW51NNdQ

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I put the sidestand down first. I keep my toes away. But I don't like holding the bike up, standing on one leg while I put the side stand down after the bike is on its two wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    At the BMW riders school, they teach you to put the bike in gear before taking it off the center stand. Works great! The bike just squats and doesn't try to go anywhere. No scrambling to grab the front brake.
    These two techniques have been my way of getting the bikes off the centre stands. Having said that, when touring with a fully loaded bike, the side stand is always used, not the centre stand.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

So, is the consensus the side stand is strong enough to take the weight of a rider getting on the motor by stepping on the peg on other motors besides the GS?

I'm not sure I want to stress the stand on my RS or RT. In my manual it states "The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended."

Seems the above would suggest using the peg to get on the motor is against the design parameters?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

I have never heard of a sidestand failure from direct load. Using it to pivot a motorcycle, yes. Having it sink into something and the foot fails, followed by the stand being bent inside the hole it made, yes. But not from simple directly loading it.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    I have never heard of a sidestand failure from direct load. Using it to pivot a motorcycle, yes. Having it sink into something and the foot fails, followed by the stand being bent inside the hole it made, yes. But not from simple directly loading it.
    Early 310s excepted, of course.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    Yet the manual explains to not load that peg with full body weight as the stand isn't designed to support that type of weight. I'm not convinced I need to temp fate and have a stand fail due to the added load/weight placed upon it.

Anyone know if bmw has ever released data on their stands strength on various models?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    I also find mounting from the right side the easiest way. Less pressure on the stand and seems a lot more stable.
    I have to thank you for this. I picked up a 2005 F650GS a week or so ago -- a fly and ride from Missouri to NJ (via MN, MI, ON, etc). I have to use the pegs when fully loaded, and the bike leaned over a bit far on the side stand. So I tried the right side -- works perfectly.

One suggestion from mounting a tall dirt bike with the pegs. As you put your foot on the peg and start to lift lean your upper body over the bike. This keeps your weight centered over the bike making it better balanced and putting less strain on the side stand. Just watch someone mounting a horse.
    rickdm

R1250GS, R100 GSPD, Honda 300L Rally

Maybe you got the wrong bike ,LOL