• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mounting/Dismounting a loaded R1200 GS

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
The bike: 2018 R1200 GS (standard height) with Vario cases and one dry bag strapped at the rear.
Me: ±6 feet (in case someone is curious)

I'm off to the 49er Rally at the end of the month, and I thought I'd do a dry run on loading the bike up. However, I could not find a graceful way (or semi-graceful way to mount and dismount the bike). What tricks have others come up with to get your leg over the bike with bags strapped at the rear. My '88 RT is much lower to the ground which made it easier.

Thanks in advance

A couple of options. One is to stand on the left footpeg and swing the right leg over. That can be very hard on sidestands. Another option is to stand next to bike facing rearward, and in one motion kick your right leg up and swing it over the saddle then pivot your body to slide into the saddle.

I worry less about being graceful and more about not destabilizing the bike or myself in the process…

Best,
DeVern

I'm 6' tall as well, but with hip arthritis (years of carrying a heavy camera bag).

On my RSL, I can just barely swing my leg over. With a dry bag strapped to the rear seat, I kick my leg over -- it takes a few practice kicks, which can be entertaining for others in parking lots.

On my G310GS, no way I can kick my leg over regardless of luggage -- I have to use the pegs. That makes it easy. I pull the front brake and the bike is always very steady. Obviously, be aware of the ground the stand is on.

I'm hoping to get an 1150GS in the coming weeks. It has the same seat height as my G310GS, so I'm hoping the side stand will be up for using the pegs...

If you are worried about the side stand, you can also try standing on the right side peg instead, just be careful not to pull the bike over. Stay really close to the bike and try it carefully, if it doesn't feel too tippy, throw your left leg over.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Opening up the handlebars (face wheel to the right) helps. It allows me to lean forward and throw a leg over and sometimes I hit the top case with my boot. But fully loaded, I follow GTRider and I step left foot on the peg and stand up on that peg then put the leg over. Works well and kick stand can take it.

Sometimes when I'm mounting a tall bike with luggage on the passenger part of the seat, I find it easiest to 1) hold the left handlebar grip with my left hand, 2) bending the right knee, bring my right foot up behind me, 3) grab my right ankle with my right hand, 4) twisting my body a bit to the left, lift the right knee over the seat, and 5) straighten the right leg. Geez... I sound like I'm teaching a yoga class. In other words, grab your right ankle and get your knee over the seat first.

I use the right (wrong side) mount. foot is as far towards the bike as possible/ I hold on the left hand grip and lean over the tank to keep the center of gravity as far left as possible. If you have ESA setting to the with luggage or 2 passenger helps Keep the foot close to the bike

Rod

There's no way for me to swing a leg over in a situation like this.

I put the bike on its sidestand, face it (with the handlebars pointing to the right, aka "open") lift my right foot and leg and thread them over the saddle (between the tank/seat junction and the bag lashed to the pillion position... iow, not over the bag) than rotate my torso to my left and slide over, taking the bike off its sidestand so that I can retract it.

*Sometimes* I have to grab the cuff of my right pants to lift it high enough to clear the saddle.

I dismount in reverse order... deploy sidestand, open my handlebars, drop my left foot to the ground, rotate to the right and extract my right leg/foot between the tank and the luggage.

I am 5'8" on an 1150 GS with tallish Ohlins. No... wait, I sold the bike because I got tired of doing this and now ride a smaller/lighter bike. :ha

Ian

I don't have a GS but both of my bike's are a bit tall for me. I grab the left hand grip, put my my weight on my left foot and move the right leg and foot a bit behind the left. I then swing the right foot (sometimes with a hop on the left) to clear the seat and bags. To dismount (usually not as successfully), with my left foot firmly on the ground, I kick my right foot into the air attempting to hit the imaginary extension of my right handle bar. While doing this I step back on the left and usually the right foot make an unhindered landing.

Good luck and let us know how you make out and what technic you adopt.

I'm still struggling with the idea that there is a graceful way for anyone to mount or dismount a fully loaded GS gracefully. I think you'll just have to embrace the idea that your best hope is just to get on and off without falling over.

Opening up the handlebars (face wheel to the right) helps. It allows me to lean forward and throw a leg over and sometimes I hit the top case with my boot. But fully loaded, I follow GTRider and I step left foot on the peg and stand up on that peg then put the leg over. Works well and kick stand can take it.

Adam, do you think an RT left foot peg could withstand the forces put on it as well as the GS?

If you can stand up on the pegs while riding, you can stand up on it to get on the bike...

My impression, and I may be wrong, is that standing on one peg with all your weight while mounting is different than standing on two pegs which distribute the same weight [ 50% left and 50% right ] while riding standing.

I know the pegs are strong enough to stand while riding, in my case 90#'s on each peg. 180#'s on one peg doubles the force on it.

Maybe someone can chime in on the formula. Two feet standing on pegs= 1/2 weight on each. Full weight on one peg=100% weight on that peg.

Thanks

I don't think the problem, if there is one, would be the foot peg. I think a problem might be with the sidestand. I do know that on some models BMW advises against using a foot peg to mount while on the sidestand.

Last edited:
Back