• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Intro and Tire question

klg1717

Hi,
I'm a new-ish member from Massachusetts and have been riding for about 8 years. I'm now on a 2013 BMW F700GS. I have a tire question. I currently have Dunlop Trailmax tires on my bike which I really like. There are only about 1,000-1,500 miles on them. I am taking a long trip (about 8,000 miles total) this summer which will be mostly pavement but there will be about 200 miles of gravel/dirt road (Dalton Highway.). I am debating what to do about tires for the trip. A couple options I've been thinking about:
1. Ride on the Dunlops as far as I can and stop somewhere to get them changed or maybe I would even make it back on them. I would need to figure out where to stop to order them.
2. Take off the Dunlops, save them, and put on the Anakee Adventures since I will mostly be on pavement and they have a longer life. But will they be ok on Dalton Highway?
3. ?

Also, if you have any advice for what I should do to the bike before I go and during the trip, that would be great. Thank you! It has 10,000 miles on it.

Thank you. If I should post this question elsewhere, please let me know.

Kelly

Kelly,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good adventure you have planned.

Regarding service prior to your trip, I’m sure BMW specifies service intervals for your bike. If you’re up to date and not nearing another service, you’re probably good to go, with a fresh oil change before you hit the road. If you’re behind on service, a minimum of changing oils and fluids, make sure to check your brake pads for service life remaining. Check your cables and lube their connection and pivot points. Inspect your chain and sprockets. Service or replace as necessary.

Something else to consider is carrying spares. I think about what can leave me on the side of the road and plan accordingly. Light bulbs, cables and the ability to fix a flat come to mind.

Regarding tires on your trip, there are a lot of variables. One thing is for sure, don’t count on getting the same mileage that you have. First you’ll be loaded and about the time you start thinking you usually get x miles on a tire, they surprise you and not in a good way. Not sure of your route but you might consider finding a point along the way and commit to changing them regardless, maybe on your way back east. The MOA Anonymous book might give you a contact that you could ship to and either help you change them or help you find someone to change them.

Good luck with your plans and your summer’s adventure.

If you're looking to buy tires on the road I would find a shop and call and have them ordered ahead of time. Right now finding tires can be a big headache says he who is looking for a set for my Triumph Tiger right now. I would not just wait and see.

Welcome from Newfoundland.

Welcome to MOA and the forum!
Regarding your questions, I’d recommend starting your trip on a fresh service, a full 12k service. If it were my bike I’d leave on the Dunlop Trailmax and ride them to Whitehorse or Fairbanks then do a prearranged tire swap. I have no experience with MC shops in Fairbanks but have purchased tires at Yukon Yamaha in Whitehorse and had a good experience with them. They have a shade shelter on concrete where you can remove a wheel and take it in. Just bear in mind that tire supply is tight this year so you’ll want to arrange tires well in advance of your trip.

Best,
DeVern

Hi,
I'm a new-ish member from Massachusetts and have been riding for about 8 years. I'm now on a 2013 BMW F700GS. I have a tire question. I currently have Dunlop Trailmax tires on my bike which I really like. There are only about 1,000-1,500 miles on them. I am taking a long trip (about 8,000 miles total) this summer which will be mostly pavement but there will be about 200 miles of gravel/dirt road (Dalton Highway.). I am debating what to do about tires for the trip. A couple options I've been thinking about:
1. Ride on the Dunlops as far as I can and stop somewhere to get them changed or maybe I would even make it back on them. I would need to figure out where to stop to order them.
2. Also, if you have any advice for what I should do to the bike before I go and during the trip, that would be great.
Kelly

Consider buying your new tires before the trip. Taking them with you. Then just before you need them, find a shop that will install them. Also it may be cheaper if you can remove the wheels and take just the wheel/tire assembly in for the replacement. Save them the time of removal and they don't need to free up a lift.

Back