• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

East Coast, Time Off, Where to ride?

adamchandler

YouTube Mechanic
My boss is forcing me to take time off. I've been maxed out on Paid Time Off for a year and I'm starting to get a bit of burn out and my manager said I have to take time off before our next big project starts June 1st. I already have tickets to go to the Downeast Rally in Maine next week (5-20) and between that date and May 30th, I have to take off. That's 8 days off, no plans but I have a fully up to maintenance R1200GS and camping gear.

Usually, I'd ride north to New Brunswick, Maine, Quebec but this time of year, there's no guarantee that the weather will be any good up there. So South it is! Where to go? I really don't know.

I was thinking of taking highways (non interstate) south to the start of Blue Ridge and ride that to the NC border for a couple of days then hop on the Mid-atlantic BDR at the lowest portion and ride that north to the NY border. If I still had time, camp in the Catskills / finger lakes then head home.

That's certainly one option.

Then I thought...maybe there's another fun ride I'm not thinking about and I should post here and ask. if anything, you might be able to give me a few waypoints that I could hit on the route I already had in mind.

Current Idea would be to take this Google Maps view south from Maine:
oxPb9cl.jpeg

Then hop on Blue Ridge (blue) and connect to the MABDR in magenta then ride the yellow north:
zIKKYAQ.jpeg

Total mileage would be just over 2500 which is a very respectable 8 days.

About 3 hours SW of Johnson City, TN, is The Dragon if that's something you wanted to check off your list...or maybe get a t-shirt!!

where to ride in the south

Most of East Tennesse and Western NC have endless routes. Grab yourself one of the Motorcycle Touring Maps at most bike shops or at https://www.wildrides.info/maps/
Take the Blue Ridge Parkway down. From there you can access the "Dragon" and Cherohala Skyway. The Foothills Parkway will take you to the "clevage of Dollywood aka Gatlinburg, Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. A bit touristy though.
The maps will have rides and loops with mileage and estimated time for each.

Enjoy Life
CurveDawg

Most of East Tennesse and Western NC have endless routes. Grab yourself one of the Motorcycle Touring Maps at most bike shops or at https://www.wildrides.info/maps/
Take the Blue Ridge Parkway down. From there you can access the "Dragon" and Cherohala Skyway. The Foothills Parkway will take you to the "clevage of Dollywood aka Gatlinburg, Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. A bit touristy though.
The maps will have rides and loops with mileage and estimated time for each.

Enjoy Life
CurveDawg

Just saw an announcement that a bridge is being replaced on the BRP, with a detour of about 10 miles. Check the current closings at https://home.nps.gov/blri/learn/news/roanoke-river-bridge-2021.htm

Enjoy the ride!

Back