Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Day trips

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    The loss of IQ in those kids was alarming. Also the loss of impulse control. I teacher I know said the lead made the boys fight and the girls pregnant. They were different, even the kids from the southern half of my county in Kansas were different, you did not mess with them.


    "Ruth Ann and Lynn come down from Baxter Springs
    That's one hell raisin' town way up in Southeastern Kansas
    Got a biker bar next to the lingerie store
    That's got them Rolling Stones lips up there where everyone can see 'em
    And they burn all night you know they burn all night you know they burn all night"
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

  2. #32
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    22,711
    Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    That's wild. I looked at it on Google streetview and it's a weird vision. Might be a good place to go.
    Some, but not all of the streetview images are from 2008 before the tornado and the abandonment. Other images I looked at are from 2012.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    "Ruth Ann and Lynn come down from Baxter Springs
    That's one hell raisin' town way up in Southeastern Kansas
    Got a biker bar next to the lingerie store
    That's got them Rolling Stones lips up there where everyone can see 'em
    And they burn all night you know they burn all night you know they burn all night"
    Great lyrics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEJPqJtZsk

  4. #34
    Registered User bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sugar Grove, IL
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Some, but not all of the streetview images are from 2008 before the tornado and the abandonment. Other images I looked at are from 2012.
    There are a number of videos on You Tube that show what's left within the last couple years. Seems like a pretty apocalyptic place to ride/drive around.

    This video is from 2021
    M. Novack
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2014 BMW C650GT (sold)
    MOA # 208387

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Houlka Mississippi
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    "Ruth Ann and Lynn come down from Baxter Springs
    That's one hell raisin' town way up in Southeastern Kansas
    Got a biker bar next to the lingerie store
    That's got them Rolling Stones lips up there where everyone can see 'em
    And they burn all night you know they burn all night you know they burn all night"
    Hey i passed right through downtown Baxter Springs several years ago. Hey James McMurtry, i didn't see any of that much less any second cousins in cut off britches and skinny little halters.

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave View Post
    Hey i passed right through downtown Baxter Springs several years ago. Hey James McMurtry, i didn't see any of that much less any second cousins in cut off britches and skinny little halters.


    LOL, I was looking on google streetview for the Rolling Stones lips.
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Houlka Mississippi
    Posts
    115
    They were probably there at one time. Choctaw Bingo came out about 20 years ago. Sounds like the guy wrote about what he saw, like the Big Indian Smokeshop with the neon smoke rings and the Macdonalds on the overpass
    .

  8. #38
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,370
    I think the largest of the BassPro stores is in Springfield MO. I think this would be a great take if you are involved in hunting and fishing.

    https://stores.basspro.com/us/mo/spr...ss-pro-dr.html

    This BassPro location also houses the NRA National Sporting Arms Museum. There is a BassPro close to me and it’s a metal building……A metal building that is so well decorated, even if you have no interest in anything sporting, the interior decorating is spectacular.
    If anyone needs camping supplies, they have a full line.
    Enjoy the Rally.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I think the largest of the BassPro stores is in Springfield MO. I think this would be a great take if you are involved in hunting and fishing.

    https://stores.basspro.com/us/mo/spr...ss-pro-dr.html

    This BassPro location also houses the NRA National Sporting Arms Museum. There is a BassPro close to me and it’s a metal building……A metal building that is so well decorated, even if you have no interest in anything sporting, the interior decorating is spectacular.
    If anyone needs camping supplies, they have a full line.
    Enjoy the Rally.
    OM

    Does it have a/c?

    The one outside Barber Motorsports Musuem is similarly well decorated.
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    279
    I've got no need to go to Pitcher now. I tried crossing the Hickman Ferry and found its not open on Wednesday.

    So I passed through Cayce,KY. Twice. It has the same look. Got to the main intersection and everything is torn down. There's ditches with all the trees torn.up.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021...ntucky_tornado

    I thought they were building a traffic circle in the middle of nowhere till I looked it up.

    Some of these rural communities are so poor. It's very sad.
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave View Post
    They were probably there at one time. Choctaw Bingo came out about 20 years ago. Sounds like the guy wrote about what he saw, like the Big Indian Smokeshop with the neon smoke rings and the Macdonalds on the overpass
    .

    I went there today. Baxter Springs wasn't he'll raising at 9 am when I got there. Checked out the rainbow Bridge (photos later). The Biker Bar was a motorcycle repair shop and the lingered store moved to Joplin (per wikipedia).

    Picher looked just like Google Street view. Dismal.
    Didn't stop.

    Rode to Miami where'd I'd had enough and fumbled for a $1.25 for the Will Roger's Turnpike back to Joplin and then springfield.
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Some, but not all of the streetview images are from 2008 before the tornado and the abandonment. Other images I looked at are from 2012.
    Seeing the juxtaposition of the Streetview images in Picher is extremely wild. You can be on E. 1st St. in 2008, with a number of buildings all around, go right to the edge of Hwy 69 and look down, seeing buildings. With one click onto Hwy 69, almost all disappear as you are now in 2016. That was a rough eight years for them.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 01:03 AM
  2. Day trips from New Jersey
    By releek in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 07:07 PM
  3. Suggestions for day trips out of Keystone, CO
    By lionlady in forum Regional Mountain/Prairie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
  4. Day Trips from Rally Site?
    By calnalu in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 08:21 PM
  5. BMW Good Karma (Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004)
    By Grey_Matter in forum Best of the Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •