• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Arc, Lights, but no starter or horn

tomr751200rs

While getting my 1971 R75/5 ready for the season, I accidentally arced the hot side of the battery to the frame. Now I have all lights, but it will not turn over and the horn doesn't work. This was after a long cold winter of storage. Any ideas of what I should check first. Would the diode board keep it from getting power to the starter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom Anderson
thomasmanderson@windstream.net

System

OKAY short answer. the diode board has nothing to do with the starter circuit. Do you see any obvious damage to wiring? Did you see any smoke in the harness or wiring when you touched the battery to the frame?

So, when you try to start does anything at all happen? For example do you hear any clicking, or slow cranking noise? What is the battery voltage, how old is the battery? Did you have it on a charger? Can you get someone to take a voltage reading at the battery terminals with the bike sitting, then, take a reading when you turn on the key and hit the starter button. What is the difference between the two reading? First thing to check is if the battery is good.

Anything after that would require a visual inspection for damage to the wiring either from the short or rodents. The only other troubleshooting will require a good wiring schematic and the proper test meters, and a test light. With a schematic you can break down the ignition circuit and starter circuit to check them.

Where are you located? St.

Welcome to the forum! Usually when I see someone has lights, etc., but no starter, I go to the starter relay. Something that's easily checked.

Could Be

Yes, one of the wires from the positive side of the battery does sometimes go to the starter relay. Could be the arc fried the relay. Does your bike have fuses or not. Looking at what schematics I have on hand for R75/5 without fuses, there is a direct link to the starter relay. From there, a red wire goes to ignition and light switch, from there, to the headlight dimmer switch.

I also sadly see a direct line from the battery to the rectifier.

So, you have a job ahead to inspect for burned bits in this redline path. Good luck. St.

20220508_175451.jpg

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone who replied! Yes, I have the /5 with no fuses. Battery was fully charged and checked.
After reading many posts, I went back into the garage and gave it a kick to see if it would fire like some posts said it might.
It fired enough for me to know it was getting spark. Well, I hit the starter button, and it turned over like it should!
I can't explain what was going on. And yes, when I hit the starter button, there was nothing, no clicking, chirping or anything....just silence. Same with horn.

Anyway, I'm very happy that I got to go out and ride the rest of the day. I also have a 2018 R1200RS, and would have a very hard time choosing between the two if I had to choose.
They both have their positives, but my 1971 R75/5 just has this SOUL to it that the 1200RS is lacking.

Only on an airhead

LOL, oh man, I am so happy your problem was simple and it is working now like it should. I have seen shorts like you had do a lot more damage, not on bikes but on cars from back in the day when I wrenched. I could tell stories but won't bore everyone.

So, as to why the buttons wouldn't work who knows? Perhaps a well placed shot of contact cleaner into them might help? LOL, I wouldn't mess with taking them apart until they fail, you might be able to squirt some cleaner in.

I have never ridden anything but airheads, and a couple of the first edition of the K bikes a long time ago. I do have two variations on airheads and agree, choice is very nice! Glad the problem is solved and you told us the outcome. I am going riding in a bit, have fun if you do as well. St.

Back