Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boxer four?

My understanding is that BMW was considering a liquid cooled, opposed 4, maybe even had started development, then Honda Goldwing beat them to the punch. BMW at the time was absolutely not going to "copy" so ditched the idea and started over. The eventual result was the in-line 4 mounted on its side.
    But since BMW is no longer opposed to using common engine configurations I've wondered the same thing, especially after Honda turned the Goldwing into a huge 1,800cc, 6 cylinder motorcycle, and BMW opposed twins are now 1250cc and liquid cooled, what about a liquid cooled, 1,000cc opposed 4?
    16 R1200RS, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Honda made a 4 cylinder boxer in 1975. It was called the GoldWing GL1000.

GL1000-red.jpg

Correct which is why I said:

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    My understanding is that BMW was considering a liquid cooled, opposed 4, maybe even had started development, then Honda Goldwing beat them to the punch.......
    16 R1200RS, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Next

The way things are going BMW's next big project will most likely be an electric bike, Then the battery shape will be the big thing to worry about. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    The way things are going BMW's next big project will most likely be an electric bike, Then the battery shape will be the big thing to worry about. St.
    Easy peasy: two batteries,one sticking out on each side!

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post

GL1000-red.jpg

You need some pink streamers on those ape hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    The first motorcycle that I every actually owned was a Honda CB 500 (inline four). My father handed it down to me in 1978 (to my great surprise) when he bought a GoldWing GL1000. They were both lovely bikes. We rode together from Colorado to California and back when I graduated from college in 1979. My sister rode pillion with him.

Ken
    Murphy's Second Law: The number of things that can go wrong can only increase with time.
    2015 R1200GS

Zundapp!

Here is a (not very good) pic of the bike in the Zundapp museum in Sigmaringen, Germany...

So there were boxer 4s before and might be more coming later. But then when I point out the worry about the heads sticking out on the 1100/1200 series, just yesterday I watched a video on YouTube about the new 1800 ... boy talking about cylinders sticking out! Anyone here had any experience on these new 1800 bikes? How are they in corners with the wide engine?

1800.png
    1994 BMW R1100RS (ABS)

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Electrics still have a big problem: storage and cost. Here is an interesting video from Engineering Explained that shows why electric still has a long way to go to worth for the messes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hatav_Rdnno
    Last edited by tibork; 05-21-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    1994 BMW R1100RS (ABS)

Electric

I am fully aware of the short comings of electric vehicles, BMW won't have much choice unless the UK, and a lot of European nations as well as a number of States here ditch the newest mandates stipulating all electric by certain dates. The writing is on the wall. How or when it really happens won't matter to me unless a total outlaw of gasoline engines is put into place because I won't buy any new BMW motorcycle. St.

Quote Originally Posted by tibork View Post
    So there were boxer 4s before and might be more coming later. But then when I point out the worry about the heads sticking out on the 1100/1200 series, just yesterday I watched a video on YouTube about the new 1800 ... boy talking about cylinders sticking out! Anyone here had any experience on these new 1800 bikes? How are they in corners with the wide engine?
    I got to ride a couple of these beasts down at the BMW Performance Center two weeks ago... I was grinding the floorboards well before the cylinder heads approached the pavement. My buddy was riding an R18 on Rhymer's Ferry Road between Fontana Village and Tapoca Lodge (Robbinsville NC, near Deal's gap) -- a road far gnarlier and more technical than The Dragon IMO, making masterful work of the turns with this huge, heavy, insanely powerful machine! It is not for everyone, but it is more rideable than it looks!
    Society must consider both Rights and Duty. If Duty is compelled, Citizens may feel their rights abridged. To remain both Constitutional and Free, Society must embrace a process of Consideration and Morality that will collectively prove the Individual superior to the State.